Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:34:39 pm

Author Topic: VCE English Language Question Thread  (Read 151352 times)  Share 

syubi

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: English Language Question Thread
« Reply #90 on: November 11, 2017, 11:12:43 pm »
+2
Is it likely that we'll be given an extract from a short story to write an analytical commentary about? There doesn't seem to be much to write about for File 5 (A Double Buggy at Lahey's Creek) from the Lingofile workbook.

Short stories are unlikely for Section B's (never seen them in a practice exam before), but you never know? I have seen some practice exams with short stories to analyse for Section A though.

QueenSmarty

• Forum Regular
« Reply #91 on: November 14, 2017, 03:50:48 pm »
Thanks syubi!

Any predictions for Thursday's essay topics?

I'm guessing there'll be one on taboo and swearing, positive and negative face needs, and how social changes have shaped Australian English. However, knowing the relative difficulty of the exams so far this year, I have a feeling the essay topics are going to be really specific and hard to write about. 

ameeria1002

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School: Ballarat Grammar
« Reply #92 on: November 14, 2017, 06:29:07 pm »
Hey everyone!
I am really nervous for the exam since my biggest issue (my teacher told me) is not being able to understand what the essay topic is asking of me and going off topic...Another issue of mine is that my clarity is not that great, English is my 2nd language :(
So does anyone please have any helpful tips for Thursday?
I would deeply appreciate the help! I really need to go well in this exam :(

hk9191

• Adventurer
« Reply #93 on: November 15, 2017, 01:32:28 am »
are we allowed to use stimulus from other essay topics as quotes without being penalised?

cookiedream

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +410
« Reply #94 on: November 15, 2017, 08:58:27 am »
are we allowed to use stimulus from other essay topics as quotes without being penalised?

Yeah! I definitely do this sometimes and it's pretty sneaky ahaha
VCE: (click the links below to view my guides)
2016: Methods [44], Psych [48]
2017: Bio [50], Eng Lang, Chem, Spec
ATAR: 99.75 | UMAT: 88th
2018-2022: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ Monash University

! No longer offering tutoring !

1tonsmann1

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #95 on: November 15, 2017, 01:24:45 pm »
Hi does anyone know if it is essential to include linguist quotes? Will they penalise you if you do not include any?

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #96 on: November 15, 2017, 01:49:25 pm »
Hi does anyone know if it is essential to include linguist quotes? Will they penalise you if you do not include any?

I believe that to be high-scoring you need both quotes and examples 
(However I'm open to being corrected)

Ahmad_A_1999

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #97 on: November 15, 2017, 06:10:16 pm »
Hey guys,

Does anyone have any sort of idea what grade II should be aiming for on the exam tomorrow to get a raw of 30, I'm really desperate and screwed for Section C :'(
2017:
Chem [41] Bio [44] Spesh / Methods / EngLang 
ATAR: 95.65
2018-2020: Bachelor of Biomedical Science @ Monash
2021-2024: Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

exit

• Forum Obsessive
  • COALESCE
  • Respect: +38
« Reply #98 on: November 16, 2017, 10:51:22 pm »
+1
It's a bit late to say this but you definitely do not need linguist quotes to full mark an essay. It's not on the criteria unlike contemporary examples. I personally did not include linguist quotes because my essays were already long enough. However, linguist quotes definitely do add weight to your arguments in my opinion.
VCE [ATAR: 99.25]: Physics 1/2, English 1/2, EngLang,Methods, Spesh, Accounting, Chem, German

2018-2021: Bachelor Of Commerce @ University of Melbourne
VCE English Language: A+ Short Answer Guide[pm for extra guidance!]

MissSmiley

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #99 on: January 12, 2018, 11:43:41 am »
+1
Hi everyone,

Could I just ask, can we use contemporary examples from the American Context, obviously not for the essay topics that ask for the Australian context and identity, but what about for topics relating to swearing or taboo?
For example, could I talk about Trump swearing in a recent tweet or any media release?

Or does every single example have to be Australian?

Thanks a lot guys! :)

2017 : Further Maths [38]
2018 : English [45] ;English Language [43] ; Food Studies [47] ;French [33] ;Legal Studies [39]
VCE ATAR : 98.10
2019 - 2023 : Bachelor of Laws (Honours) and Bachelor of Arts at Monash University

I'm selling a huge electronic copy of  VCE English essays and resources document (with essays that have teacher feedback and marks) for $10. Feel free to PM me for details!

mtDNA

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +55
« Reply #100 on: January 12, 2018, 12:47:08 pm »
+5
Hi everyone,

Could I just ask, can we use contemporary examples from the American Context, obviously not for the essay topics that ask for the Australian context and identity, but what about for topics relating to swearing or taboo?
For example, could I talk about Trump swearing in a recent tweet or any media release?

Well if it says anywhere in the prompt, “in the contemporary Australian context”, then all your examples should be contemporary Australian examples, regardless of the essay topic. However, in some cases it can be quite challenging to find Australian examples, such as when you’re discussing teenspeak, which isn’t really confined to a nation as such. Therefore to weave around this issue, I just used a linguistic convention in an Australian context (e.g. ‘Clive Palmer is one thicc bih’ vs just stating ’thicc’ as your example).

Now, in the situation you have posted, the Trump thing wouldn’t work, and consequently would culminate in the loss of marks. So in this scenario, you simply need to find another (contemporary Australian) example, especially because it’s not too challenging to find one for swearing since dysphemistic language is quite prominent within Australian English. For example, the 'F*uck Fred Nile case’ or ‘CUintheNT’ are pretty good ones, but I think they’re a bit dated for you to use, so something similar which is more recent would work.

Hope this helps!  ;D

Tutoring by ATAR Notes - learn more!

ATAR: 99.20
Biomedicine (Unimelb): 2018-2020
Doctor of Medicine (Unimelb): 2021-2024

cookiedream

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +410
« Reply #101 on: January 12, 2018, 12:54:33 pm »
+7
Hi everyone,

Hello!

The best way to use these examples is when comparing them to usage in Australian English related to similar contexts. So for taboo, while American English has this, Australian English has this, or supports this, or has this idea. Remember, essay topics commonly ask you to write using 'contemporary Australian examples' or they imply it in the question stem through phrasings like 'In Australia today'. Although, if you see that your chosen question doesn't imply this, then I think it's safe to use relevant American English examples (maybe just avoid using them predominantly - Aus. examples are always the best).

For our school, it was highly recommended to stick to Australian examples, although many of those who scored highly got away with using American examples. It might be different for your school, so ask your teacher to confirm this.

Also, just like mtDNA, I often used linguistic examples with reference to the Australian context, even if their origins are in America. For example, an Australian Youtuber using a certain slang term or an Australian instagram account incorporating such and such.
VCE: (click the links below to view my guides)
2016: Methods [44], Psych [48]
2017: Bio [50], Eng Lang, Chem, Spec
ATAR: 99.75 | UMAT: 88th
2018-2022: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ Monash University

! No longer offering tutoring !

MissSmiley

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #102 on: January 12, 2018, 02:39:12 pm »
+2
Thanks a lot mtDNA and cookiedream ! :)
You've made it clear for me now! :)

2017 : Further Maths [38]
2018 : English [45] ;English Language [43] ; Food Studies [47] ;French [33] ;Legal Studies [39]
VCE ATAR : 98.10
2019 - 2023 : Bachelor of Laws (Honours) and Bachelor of Arts at Monash University

I'm selling a huge electronic copy of  VCE English essays and resources document (with essays that have teacher feedback and marks) for $10. Feel free to PM me for details!

peter.g15

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #103 on: January 27, 2018, 05:07:17 pm »
+1
Hi guys!
Just wondering on how to properly structure/group together the body paragraphs for an analytical commentary. I'm not sure on the whole 'topic' for the whole body paragraph and what is appropriate to talk about. For example, is it okay to have a body paragraphs on the following points: spontaneity of the conversation, register of the conversation and then the relationship between interlocuters?

Thanks!
2019 - 23: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash University

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #104 on: January 27, 2018, 05:55:49 pm »
Hi guys!
Just wondering on how to properly structure/group together the body paragraphs for an analytical commentary. I'm not sure on the whole 'topic' for the whole body paragraph and what is appropriate to talk about. For example, is it okay to have a body paragraphs on the following points: spontaneity of the conversation, register of the conversation and then the relationship between interlocuters?

Thanks!
You will find that you will write essays your way in English Language. I suppose if you can find enough to discuss in the article in a quick amount of time, that is entirely possible. I used to go via the subsystems instead though, as that works for both written and spoken texts.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread