Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:01:11 am

Author Topic: English study?  (Read 1909 times)

arleee

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Bulahdelah Central School
  • School Grad Year: 2016
English study?
« on: May 24, 2016, 11:13:51 am »
Hey guys,
I don't know if I'm the only one who's wondering but how do you actually study for english? I have pages and pages of sheets that my teacher has given me but I don't know whether to summarise it or just to write practise essays?
If someone could give me some advice on this it would be great, really wanna get prepped for the encroaching trials  :-X

Maz

• West Australian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
Re: English study?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 11:32:20 am »
+1
i dont do english- but i do Lit so kinda similar
here is a couple of things i do:
do practice essays and get people to check them...then go over what u could have do better
Terminology: this is important. learn lots of new articulate words that will make your writing sound smart and more wordy
also do skeleton essays with lots of different texts/mediums. you don't have to write the whole thing out just do a basic structure of
what your body paragraphs will have.
read a lot of other people's essays...especially 'good' ones- this will give u some idea about how u are supposed to be writing
AND...PRACTICE EXAMS---> do lots of them...the best way u can get good at doing exams is by doing them :)

Hope this helps :)
2016: Methods | Chem | Physics | Accounting | Literature

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 12:19:50 pm »
Hey guys,
I don't know if I'm the only one who's wondering but how do you actually study for english? I have pages and pages of sheets that my teacher has given me but I don't know whether to summarise it or just to write practise essays?
If someone could give me some advice on this it would be great, really wanna get prepped for the encroaching trials  :-X

Hey arlee, welcome to the forums!!  :)

mq123 is on point, this is pretty much what I'd recommend too for HSC English!! Essentially, summarise the knowledge you need for your texts in very succinct lists and pages: List quotes, techniques, concepts, context, etc. Then, mq123 is right, practice practice practice!! Full essays, skeleton essays, paragraphs, just write and write and write (and get feedback on absolutely everything you can). If you ever write a practice essay, you can get feedback in our marking forums!  ;D

Noorijaz

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 03:44:38 pm »
Yeah how do u study texts and memorise all the analysis and quotes quickly
And hypothetically test is tomorrow and u haven't read book

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 04:27:57 pm »
+1
Yeah how do u study texts and memorise all the analysis and quotes quickly
And hypothetically test is tomorrow and u haven't read book

Those pages and lists I mentioned earlier are the best way in my opinion!! Summarising everything in quick lists for easy study, you can read them on the bus/train or whenever you have 5 minutes! The best way though is practice, try using them in a few example questions to get yourself used to using them in the right way!  ;D

If you have a test tomorrow and haven't read the book, best bet is to try and use some online resources to find some quotes for you. Our notes section might have something for you! Otherwise, there are heaps available online from various places, use their summaries to write a list of quotes for you to memorise  ;D