Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:30:21 pm

Author Topic: ETC1000 tute  (Read 2581 times)  Share 

*ryan777*

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
ETC1000 tute
« on: March 01, 2010, 10:25:07 pm »
ive heard from my friend that ETC1000 (business and economics statistics) doesnt have a 1st week tute class (according to his lecture)
does anyone know if this is true?
2010: Bachelor of Economics @ Monash University - Clayton
Sem1: Priciples of Accounting/Finance, Principles of Microeconomics, Business Statistics, Japanese 5
Sem2: Intro to Financial Accounting, Corporate Finance, Principles of Macroeconomics, Japanese 6

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
Re: ETC1000 tute
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 05:53:17 pm »

I didn't have a ETC1000 (call it stats... much shorter) tute 1st week last semester... check the dates on your timetable on Allocate.
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

*ryan777*

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 07:41:17 pm »

I didn't have a ETC1000 (call it stats... much shorter) tute 1st week last semester... check the dates on your timetable on Allocate.

yeah i found out the other day that its not on anyway

btw, i epic suck at excel, is stats gonna b hard for me or r there a whole lot of others in the same situation as me?
Sem1: Priciples of Accounting/Finance, Principles of Microeconomics, Business Statistics, Japanese 5
Sem2: Intro to Financial Accounting, Corporate Finance, Principles of Macroeconomics, Japanese 6

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 09:42:54 pm »

btw, i epic suck at excel, is stats gonna b hard for me or r there a whole lot of others in the same situation as me?

Remember that the final exam is on paper, not on computer.
In the computer lab sessions, focus on finding out how to make excel do what you want it to do for the assignments, you won't need to use it for anything else.

The only thing you will need to know about excel for the exam is what the numbers on the outputs mean... like... you'll have to be able to interpret the R-squared figure and such.

Also... I doubt you'll be the only one... take me for instance... I'm good with excel, but I only had the old (2004?) one on my computer... BusEco computer labs all have 2007 version on them, so it was like I was an excel newbie all over again.

*ryan777*

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 10:29:34 pm »

In the computer lab sessions, focus on finding out how to make excel do what you want it to do for the assignments, you won't need to use it for anything else.

The only thing you will need to know about excel for the exam is what the numbers on the outputs mean... like... you'll have to be able to interpret the R-squared figure and such.

Also... I doubt you'll be the only one... take me for instance... I'm good with excel, but I only had the old (2004?) one on my computer... BusEco computer labs all have 2007 version on them, so it was like I was an excel newbie all over again.

ah ok
btw how hard is the math involved?
methods was easily my worst subject, altho probability (which seems to be most prevelent in stats) was my stronger area

methodsman

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 10:31:11 pm »
Hmm that's weird - I had my ECC1000 tute yesterday.
Uni 2010 - 2013 : BComm(Fin.)/BBIS (IBL)

2011 S2: Industry-Based Learning

Professional Accreditation 2016 - 2017 : CPA, CFA or MBA

*ryan777*

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 10:33:52 pm »
Hmm that's weird - I had my ECC1000 tute yesterday.

ECC1000 is microeconomics, so yeah everyone has that tute sometime this week

i was asking about ETC1000 (business stats)

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 10:49:54 pm »

ah ok
methods was easily my worst subject, altho probability (which seems to be most prevelent in stats) was my stronger area

Put it this way... there was a 3 year gap between high school methods and ETC1000 for me, in which I had forgotten almost everything about maths that was harder than linear equations. To top it off, probability was always my worst area (the only "real" maths in stats is a bit of linear and quadratic algebra, as well as probability). If *I* still managed to get a HD, it won't be a problem for you ...Oh, and I never read the textbook either.

*ryan777*

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 11:00:16 pm »

nice, feel a lot more relaxed about it now :)

ah ok

Put it this way... there was a 3 year gap between high school methods and ETC1000 for me, in which I had forgotten almost everything about maths that was harder than linear equations. To top it off, probability was always my worst area (the only "real" maths in stats is a bit of linear and quadratic algebra, as well as probability). If *I* still managed to get a HD, it won't be a problem for you ...Oh, and I never read the textbook either.