Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 01:44:01 am

Author Topic: placement test for languages  (Read 12918 times)  Share 

*ryan777*

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
Re: placement test for languages
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2010, 10:16:52 pm »
I intend to join Japanese club to pick up Jap chicks improve my Jap =]

Ah, I mite see you in Jap club then~!

I'm not Jap though, so :P

what do u do there?
i wanna join but want info
2010: Bachelor of Economics @ Monash University - Clayton
Sem1: Priciples of Accounting/Finance, Principles of Microeconomics, Business Statistics, Japanese 5
Sem2: Intro to Financial Accounting, Corporate Finance, Principles of Macroeconomics, Japanese 6

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 10:19:38 pm »

Ryan what was your VCE Jap score..?

Ryan... I'm level 3 this semester... I'm only expected to know around 125 kanji... I know about 150 though... surely you know more than that?
36 is a good, solid SS... I'm inclined to think you'll get bored in level 3... I can tell you the content if you want..? I have the txtbook.
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

*ryan777*

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 10:23:56 pm »

Ryan what was your VCE Jap score..?

Ryan... I'm level 3 this semester... I'm only expected to know around 125 kanji... I know about 150 though... surely you know more than that?
36 is a good, solid SS... I'm inclined to think you'll get bored in level 3... I can tell you the content if you want..? I have the txtbook.

yes please,
i am a bit confused, level 3=too easy, level5=too hard :(
Sem1: Priciples of Accounting/Finance, Principles of Microeconomics, Business Statistics, Japanese 5
Sem2: Intro to Financial Accounting, Corporate Finance, Principles of Macroeconomics, Japanese 6

IntoTheNewWorld

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Hello World
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 10:24:26 pm »
36 is a pretty high score for Jap. You also seem pretty interested in it from what I can see. Level 3 will most likely bore you from lack of progress from VCE =\

"too hard" just adds to the fun =]

that sounded wrong but anyway.

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2010, 10:25:45 pm »
I intend to join Japanese club to pick up Jap chicks improve my Jap =]

Ah, I mite see you in Jap club then~!

I'm not Jap though, so :P

what do u do there?
i wanna join but want info

They'll market themselves to you at the Clubs Carnival during O'Week... you'll be able to ask them *all* about what they're planning for the year.

IntoTheNewWorld

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Hello World
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2010, 10:27:19 pm »
from reading http://arts.monash.edu.au/japanese/ugrad/placement.php level 3 looks basically like a bit under VCE to VCE level, and level 5 looks like VCE extended, with significantly more Kanji. According to the thingy even during level 5 you'll be learning a lot of VCE level stuff, but just more in depth.

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2010, 10:28:11 pm »
from reading http://arts.monash.edu.au/japanese/ugrad/placement.php level 3 looks basically like a bit under VCE to VCE level, and level 5 looks like VCE extended, with significantly more Kanji.

Pretty much... levels 3 and 4 are equivalent to VCE Jap.

I'll go fetch my txtbook Ryan.

*ryan777*

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2010, 10:29:21 pm »
from reading http://arts.monash.edu.au/japanese/ugrad/placement.php level 3 looks basically like a bit under VCE to VCE level, and level 5 looks like VCE extended, with significantly more Kanji. According to the thingy even during level 5 you'll be learning a lot of VCE level stuff, but just more in depth.

thats initially what put me off level 5 in the 1st place
kanji is my #1 weakness in jap

IntoTheNewWorld

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Hello World
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2010, 10:31:02 pm »

that's good, Kanji is more crammable than everything else =P

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2010, 10:47:53 pm »

Really?

I find kanji to be quite easy and fun... it's grammar I dislike trying to learn... I have a natural aptitude for languages though, so I never seem to have too much trouble.

Anywayz:

Level 3 utilises the last 2 chapters of the Yookoso 1 textbook... the rest was done in levels 1 and 2.
The textbook is designed in a way that gives each chapter a theme.

Level 1 covered "classroom" and "community".
Level 2 covered "everyday life", "family", "weather" and "hobbies".

For level 3 the broad vocabulary themes are "food" and "shopping".

Kanji:

思、終、始、物、肉、事、茶、酒、池、泳、河、泣、油、温、湿

牛、鳥、湯、野、魚、味、悪、料、化、仲、働、虫、風、仏、独

理、米、品、和、洋、夜、言、貝、訪、試、験、説、明、相、談

同、長、市、場、主、電、売、買、着、切、円、引、安、店、員

色、黒、白、青、赤、黄、服、返、花、屋、暗、草、若、荷、星

私、京、都、寺、神、社、内、曲、目、机、板、森、鯨、鰯、鮪、鮫

所、予、約、車、早、歩、旅、館、乗、字、宿、寝、宮、官、守

待、駅、止、客、地、図、海、持、拾、折、包、抱、王、玉、宝

新、聞、公、園、住、階、広、直、戸、古、門、室、親、両、苦 

伝、洗、建、友、貸、借、置、静、庭、便、利、不、覚、争、健

Grammar:

1st Chapter:

ta-form + ことがある
expressing desire (I assume this is たい form, but obviously I haven't learned about this yet)
expressing an opinion
expressing intention
~すぎる
indirect quotation という
te-form verbs + みる、しまう、いく、くる
convey simultaneous action ~なから

2nd Chapter:

expressing *when* something happens (as in, the point in time... think 時)
indefinite pronoun の
~たら conditional
expressing purpose using に
reporting hearsay そうだ
expressing whether or not かどうか
giving reasons ...し、...し

*ryan777*

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2010, 10:54:39 pm »
hmm, yeah, those grammar patterns seem riduculosly easy (for me)
i guess i can just spend the next few weeks going through the kanji i dont know yet and start at level 5

thanks for pushing me in the right direction (both of u) :)

RexPP

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2010, 11:43:40 pm »
http://www.arts.monash.edu.au/french/ugrad/enrolment-info.php

According to this page, French is a little different. Apparently placement is based on a 200 word piece we have to write and send in. However, prior to doing so we're supposed to "seek French Studies Program approval for enrolment in appropriate units on enrolment day." Pretty annoyed to discover this now as I already had my enrolment today. What do you guys think - is seeking approval in person entirely necessary or can I just call them up?
Arts/Law @ Monash

*ryan777*

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2010, 11:51:13 pm »

According to this page, French is a little different. Apparently placement is based on a 200 word piece we have to write and send in. However, prior to doing so we're supposed to "seek French Studies Program approval for enrolment in appropriate units on enrolment day." Pretty annoyed to discover this now as I already had my enrolment today. What do you guys think - is seeking approval in person entirely necessary or can I just call them up?

id definatly call them first
i think u should still b able to do french, enrolment week doesnt end till tmr so perhaps they could squeze u in somewhere?

RexPP

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2010, 12:37:58 pm »

For anyone else wondering a similar thing, I called and there is no need to go in. Simply complete the level 3 test if you got below 30, level 5 if you got above 30. "Seeking approval before enrolment" is most likely just a way of clarifying that information to confused students.
Arts/Law @ Monash

*ryan777*

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2010, 05:40:13 pm »
btw, does the bus/eco faculty allow students to comence the dip.lang from sem1?
i asked the course advisor person at enrolment and i then went to the faculty afterwards and got 2 different answers
im kinda worried as ive been told that without the dip.lang i may not b able to do a double major (assuming i do jap units anyway)