Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 09:16:16 pm

Author Topic: Should I do economics  (Read 7127 times)  Share 

Mockingjay

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Should I do economics
« on: April 01, 2017, 03:59:28 pm »
So, this is where I am now. I have started my HSC preliminary course, and the first term is about to finish, but I am accelerating Mathematics and currently doing HSC mathematics and pretty good at it. My current subjects I am doing now are the following:
Standard English (which is soon going to change to advanced)
HSC Mathematics
Physics
Economics
Chemistry
Mathematics Extension 1
SLR 1

So what I am asking, is that I want to do economics, but the recent mark I got back was pretty bad and way below average. I am doing chemistry and I haven't got my results back, but I don't want to do chemistry, I picked it as sort of a backup subject and I think I will do alright since it's more mathematics thinking subject I think. Since next year I am planning on doing Extension 2 mathematics I get to drop one subject, I am going to keep Physics but what I am asking is.
Should I keep economics next year or should I drop it and stay with chemistry? My essay writing is average right now it's not some amazing thing, so can I improve over the course of 2 years and actually get pretty well in the subject. So I'm just in stuck right now. Your advice will be much appreciated

extremeftw

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +25
Re: Should I do economics
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 04:04:33 pm »
+3
 If you want to do economics, do economics. You will fare much better doing a subject you are motivated to do (economics) than one you aren't (chemistry).

The only thing though is you should worry about is making sure chemistry isn't a pre-req for any course you want to do.

Cranium002

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 06:36:33 pm »
+1
"Do what you do best" -- Best Advice

Mathew587

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 08:51:18 pm »
+2
So, this is where I am now. I have started my HSC preliminary course, and the first term is about to finish, but I am accelerating Mathematics and currently doing HSC mathematics and pretty good at it. My current subjects I am doing now are the following:
HSC Mathematics
Physics
Economics
Chemistry
Mathematics Extension 1
SLR 1

So what I am asking, is that I want to do economics, but the recent mark I got back was pretty bad and way below average. I am doing chemistry and I haven't got my results back, but I don't want to do chemistry, I picked it as sort of a backup subject and I think I will do alright since it's more mathematics thinking subject I think. Since next year I am planning on doing Extension 2 mathematics I get to drop one subject, I am going to keep Physics but what I am asking is.
Should I keep economics next year or should I drop it and stay with chemistry? My essay writing is average right now it's not some amazing thing, so can I improve over the course of 2 years and actually get pretty well in the subject. So I'm just in stuck right now. Your advice will be much appreciated

Hey,
Firstly I want to say that we can only give you advice and that the final decision is yours. Don't let emotion into the process and think logically as to what is the best for you.
Personally, I found the year 11 course fkn stupid. I ended up with a course mark of 55 in prelim. Thats directly from not studying and finding the course bullshitty due to the amount of chapters we had to do. However come year 12, my first exam mark was 82, the highest in the class. The point is that there is a HUGE difference between prelim and HSC economics as prelim is more of the basic stuff whereas this year we're building up on that knowledge. I honestly find the HSC course enjoyable which is something I thought I would never say.
Honestly if I were you, I would keep all your subjects. Its not even a lot and with study you'll be fine. I do 3u, eng adv, bio, chem. eco and business and ended up with an approximate atar of 82 in prelim with barely any actual and thorough study and I go to a terribly ranked school so I'd think you'd be fine. Heck theres a kid in our year doing 4u math, eng adv, bio, chem, phy, business and he's doing very well in all... except english.
Ultimately the choice is yours. I would personally keep econ and work harder cos it's good practice and helps you with your time management skills. :)
Mathew587
HSC 2017- 90.58
English Adv: 85
Mathematics Adv: 89
Biology: 86
Chemistry: 81
Economics:86
Business Stud: 91

~ UNSW Economics/Science ~

TheCommando

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 09:28:26 pm »
+1
HSC Mathematics
Physics
Economics
Chemistry
Mathematics Extension 1
SLR 1

I assime based on what you have said that your a year 11. If thks is the case getting a below average score is not a hassle at all! Your marks in year 11 dont mean anything so long as you pass. If u genuinely the subject more than say chemistry comtinue it. Economics is a great real world subject, it is so vital in understanding how the world works and how it sustains itself. You can always do better. Take me for example. In year 11 economics i gave no shits and got 50s% on my end exam. Come year 12 where a 60% is comsidered a solid result my teacher predicted a 58% on my first sac, i was so behind on hw and didnt finish learning sl the content, but i studied my ass of 2 days before and got a 78%. This should suggest that there is always time for imporvememts and u should see a bad sac result as an alert to change the way you study. Your in year 11 afterall. But just know this, its the exams that ultimately matter (at least in vce) meaning that whatever you get on your exam will scale accordingly to your sac results. Hope that helps

carolinewang206

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
  • School: Barrenjoey
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 09:31:37 pm »
+1
Its too early to call, you've only had 1 assessment task- so much will change in the next year.

Wait until prelim yearlies to decide

iStudent

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 12:15:43 am »
+2
Keep it.

Some people think essay writing skills take years to develop (something like math, which requires solid foundations).

However, I'm inclined to believe this is not true. All it takes is a good tutor/teacher to provide feedback, a solid set of quality essays to show what a good essay should be by example and perhaps a guide on how to write essays from teachers/high achieving students (so you're not wondering into the forest of essay writing without a path) etc.

Take me for example - I've always struggled with english from yr 7-10 and consistently ranked like outside top 10 in a comprehensive school ranked 300+. My essays hovered the 60-70-80 range. However, with guidance I learnt the "rules" and "ropes" of essay writing and in the end I wrote 2 20/20 essays for my economics HSC exam. It might seem extremely difficult, but you just need to learn the rules - and trust me, essay writing becomes so easy and with appropriate feedback/guidance improvement can be immediate :)
HSC 2014
Eco - 96 (state rank)
MX2 97
MX1 98
Chem 94
Phys 93
Adv eng 92

Medicine @ JMP