Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:35:36 am

Author Topic: whys' VCE journal  (Read 79735 times)

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
Re: whys' VCE journal
« Reply #330 on: January 03, 2021, 05:20:42 pm »
+6
Great job on your ATAR and SS's! :)
Now I feel intimidated or something that you asked me for English help and proceeded to get a much higher score than me.... Great job though!!
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #331 on: January 05, 2021, 01:02:19 pm »
+7
Great job on your ATAR and SS's! :)
Now I feel intimidated or something that you asked me for English help and proceeded to get a much higher score than me.... Great job though!!
Thank you, and congrats to you too! I know you love English and know what you're doing, which is why I wanted your help - always remember that study scores don't define your knowledge or passion for a subject. It's just a number, and means nothing more. You also did incredibly well, so well done!

All the best for the future!
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

SmartWorker

• Forum Obsessive
  • Wake determined. Sleep Satisfied.
  • Respect: +79
« Reply #332 on: January 05, 2021, 01:42:06 pm »
+7
Hey whys, sorry i am late to congratulating party, but you did PHENOMENAL!!!🥳🎉. All the best for 2021!!  :D
Advice to smash Biology セ:

2021 VCE - 99.35

Tutoring Bio, Chem, English, Methods 1/2 & 3/4 for 2022. DM if interested

Want some advice for VCE? 👇

https://youtu.be/zq0xsaE9GJ4

ArtyDreams

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Fly against the wind. Not with it.
  • Respect: +599
« Reply #333 on: January 05, 2021, 10:33:52 pm »
+5
AMAZING JOB WHYS!
Those study scores are beautifullllll  :)

So proud of you and all your work this year, it痴 been so incredibly insightful and inspiring to follow your journal this year, I知 so happy your efforts paid off!

I知 excited to see what the future has in store for you!  :D
Best of luck for 2021 x

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #334 on: January 08, 2021, 04:03:24 pm »
+6
CONGRATULATIONS WHYS!!! Those scores and dat ATAR is SOOOO MAGNIFICENTLY BEAUTIFUL!! Your work ethic and mindset this year has been so positive and resilient and I'm so happy for you that your hard work has paid off into such beautiful scores. I hope you truly are proud of yourself because what you have achieved is no simple feat. You ARE super smart and you ARE hardworking! Extra congratulations on Bio (a very spicy 50) and ENGLISH- a subject which has been a rocky road in terms of passion yet you scored so well because you are sooo hardworking. All the best for 2021! You're gonna rock it!
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
« Reply #335 on: January 08, 2021, 04:36:14 pm »
+5
WHYS!

A MASSIVE CONGRATS!! Those results are amazing and very well deserved! You've worked so hard and put in so much effort and have achieved so much!! I'm so happy for you!!

You're a very big inspiration to not only me but other people as well, and I know that you are going to continue to achieve big things in the future! Although it was a rocky road, you made it!!

All the best for this year and beyond! I know you're going to smash it!!

fish12

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #336 on: January 10, 2021, 06:11:42 am »
+4
Aaaaa whys congrats on such amazing scores ! I知 so proud of you !

I understand how you feel with imposter syndrome, but just remember, we always tend to underestimate ourselves and our abilities. And, as for med, I知 sure all the work you致e put in will pay off ❤️

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #337 on: January 16, 2021, 12:36:42 pm »
+15
Hey whys, sorry i am late to congratulating party, but you did PHENOMENAL!!!🥳🎉. All the best for 2021!!  :D
Thank you so much SmartWorker!!!! All the best for 2021 to you too!

AMAZING JOB WHYS!
Those study scores are beautifullllll  :)

So proud of you and all your work this year, it痴 been so incredibly insightful and inspiring to follow your journal this year, I知 so happy your efforts paid off!

I知 excited to see what the future has in store for you!  :D
Best of luck for 2021 x
Thank you Arty! I'm so proud of you too for getting through this hell of a year - it wasn't easy and you made it! I can say the same about your journal - was definitely an inspiring read. Congratulations and all the best for 2021.

CONGRATULATIONS WHYS!!! Those scores and dat ATAR is SOOOO MAGNIFICENTLY BEAUTIFUL!! Your work ethic and mindset this year has been so positive and resilient and I'm so happy for you that your hard work has paid off into such beautiful scores. I hope you truly are proud of yourself because what you have achieved is no simple feat. You ARE super smart and you ARE hardworking! Extra congratulations on Bio (a very spicy 50) and ENGLISH- a subject which has been a rocky road in terms of passion yet you scored so well because you are sooo hardworking. All the best for 2021! You're gonna rock it!
Heya Potato! You did super well yourself - a great end to year 11 and a great start to year 12. Year 12 ain't easy but I know you've got it in you to do well. All the best for 2021 to you as well!

WHYS!

A MASSIVE CONGRATS!! Those results are amazing and very well deserved! You've worked so hard and put in so much effort and have achieved so much!! I'm so happy for you!!

You're a very big inspiration to not only me but other people as well, and I know that you are going to continue to achieve big things in the future! Although it was a rocky road, you made it!!

All the best for this year and beyond! I know you're going to smash it!!
EVOLIO!
Congratulations to you as well! Wasn't an easy year but we did it! Aww I'm so happy to hear that - and I can confidently say your journal has been a great source of inspiration on AN as well.

Good luck for 2021!

Aaaaa whys congrats on such amazing scores ! I知 so proud of you !

I understand how you feel with imposter syndrome, but just remember, we always tend to underestimate ourselves and our abilities. And, as for med, I知 sure all the work you致e put in will pay off ❤️
Hey Nemo! I'm super proud of everything you have achieved this year as well. You did so incredibly well - congrats! Med is a distant dream but - we'll see!

The conclusion
My last ever journal update. :P Didn't think I'd get here, but here I am! I was invited to attend multiple medicine interviews from unis around Australia, but I don't think I'm going to go too in-depth into all of them. I'll mainly focus on Monash, since that has been my dream. I will be declining any interviews if I get them in later in the month, hopefully another med hopeful will be able to get one then!
P.S. I'll try to keep this update short and simple.

The interview
So, the Monash interview. It was obviously online, which was both a good and bad thing (good because you're in your comfort zone, bad because it's so hard to convey emotion and body language on a computer screen!). I won't say much because I am wary of the NDA, but I will say that I felt like I did really well in 2 stations, mediocre in 1 station and absolutely horrible in 3 stations. I honestly had not encountered those scenarios in practice and had no idea what to say - it felt like I completely flunked them. In all honesty, I don't think my interview went too great. I was disappointed in myself after. I had practiced... but for it to end like this?! I would keep thinking about the scenarios and questions in my head everyday after the interview and think of really good answers. Why couldn't I come up with them in the actual interview?? The more I thought about it, the more I felt like I did really, really bad. And thinking about all the other smart interviewees, I felt like I had no real chance. I was also worried about my ATAR - was it really enough for med? I kept feeling like my scores weren't good enough, especially comparing them to my friends' scores (in hindsight, this was NOT healthy).

Anyways, that's the 3 components done and reflected over. ATAR, UCAT, and interview.

14th Jan - offers day
Oh boy. The night before, I couldn't sleep at all! I kept thinking about what I'd do when I opened that email and found out I'd gotten into my second preference. I felt so angry at myself. I wish I'd tried harder, practiced more, took things more seriously. Bad thoughts, but they were there and real - weighing me down. My final VTAC preference list was something like this:
1. medicine (CSP unbonded) @ monash
2. medicine (ERC) @ monash
3. medicine (BMP) @ monash
4. biomed scholars program @ monash
5. biomed @ monash @ monash
6. the list goes on...

I knew I had the ATAR for preferences 4 and 5, so I wasn't worrying too much about the rest of my preferences. I was worried about if I'd like biomed, if I'd be able to get into non-standard or graduate-entry med, if biomed would be too hard, if I maybe should've put down biomed at Melbourne uni instead. Lots of thinking... and lots of confusion about what I really wanted to do if I didn't get into med. I'd heard that second-round offers for med were pretty much non-existent for Victorian applicants, which made me feel worse. By the way, if you can't tell, I overthink things. A lot. I kept having dreams of everyone I know getting in, and me being rejected (dramatic, I know). Then, there were the regrets. I wish I did this, did that, and because I didn't, I'm not going to get in. So, I didn't get any sleep that night, just like before ATAR release day. Wonderful.

I knew that 2pm was the official time, but I'd also heard that they can come a bit early, like around 11ish. I did NOT expect an email at around to be in my inbox at around 7:30am. It was around 8am that I decided that it couldn't hurt to check just in case, and I was shocked when I saw the email already there! My closest friends had already checked, and almost all of them got their first preferences. 2 got into Monash med too, and I was super happy for them. I was so scared of checking. I didn't want to check. Anyways, I reminded myself that med was super competitive and that it's okay if I don't get in, there are so many other avenues to get in, and I was pretty satisfied with that thinking. Then, I shut my eyes and clicked the email. For a few seconds, I was surrounded by the calmness of the dark. I slowly opened my eyes. I remember my hands were shaking. I looked to where it said what offer I'd gotten.

I just collapsed on my bed and buried my head in my hands. Sounds pretty dramatic, but I couldn't stop crying and shaking. My dad rushed into the room (I was very loud, mind you) and he tried to comfort me. I was trying to tell him not to, that it was fine, I wasn't crying because I was upset, but it's hard to talk through tears. Because there, in that one single email, all my dreams came true.

the email
VTAC would like to congratulate you on receiving the following offer:

Course: 2800311231
Monash University - Clayton
Medicine - School Leaver Entry

My first preference, and my goal for the last 3 years. It felt like a fever dream, honestly. It still does. I just couldn't believe it. I logged onto the Monash website and checked just to make sure that it was real. I can't wait to start uni, meet the med cohort, and have fun next year. The next 5 years are going to be an exciting, long ride (in a good way, of course!) and at the moment it feels so surreal.

I don't think I'll be creating a uni journal, but you can still catch me on the forums and on MSO if you just want to chat or ask any questions. If you've already PM'd me, my replies are going to be slow because I've been busy with getting everything ready for uni (ngl, enrollment felt harder than getting into uni in itself 🤣) and enjoying my holidays (my sincere apologies, I will get to you as soon as I can!). It took forever to actually get around to writing this, and I wanted to do it quickly to finish off this journal and tie everything together.

Thank you to all my readers for supporting me throughout the last two years. I loved contributing to the forums and updating my journal - AN has been amazing to me in so many ways. I wish everyone the best of luck. To the class of 2020, all the best for the future and for tertiary education (if you wish to pursue it in 2021). To the class of 2021, I wish you all the best for year 12. You guys are going to smash it out of the park!

whys is over and out!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 05:25:02 pm by whys »
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #338 on: January 16, 2021, 12:49:00 pm »
+5
Congratulations whys!!
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

Mkiryo

• Adventurer
  • tryna find my way around here!
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #339 on: January 16, 2021, 01:30:30 pm »
+6
whys I've been silently following your journal all along and I just want to say I'm so happy for you. We got to see some of the ups and downs throughout the journal and I know nothing feels better than finally achieving the goal you've been thinking, overthinking and dreaming about. You so incredibly deserve it and I hope this made all the hassle worth it. Thank you also for being of such great help around the forum. Wishing you all the best, your future looks very bright!
VCE: 2018-2020
ATAR: 99.4
(finally get to do this!)

dedformed

• Trendsetter
  • Don't be upsetti. Eat some spaghetti.
  • Respect: +135
« Reply #340 on: January 16, 2021, 01:33:26 pm »
+4
YESSS YOU DID IT BEAN!!!

Well deserved and your journal is a brilliant artefact of how hard you've worked to get there. Congratulations!

also I just realised "whys" is read "wise", noice.
Lying in a Hammock at William Duffy's Farm in Pine Island, Minnesota
VCE 2021 - ATAR 98.85
my vce journal!

offering tutoring for English Language 3&4;)

tiredandstressed

• MOTM: DEC 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • pretty without the r (he/him)
  • Respect: +167
« Reply #341 on: January 16, 2021, 02:03:40 pm »
+4
CONGRATULATIONS WHYS!!!!!
This is an amazing achievement, well done!
You worked hard to get where you, this is only the start of a very exciting but also challenging journey.
I wish you all the best
-T&S
VCE '17-'18
2017: Biology, Psychology
2018: English, HHD, Chemistry, Methods
2019-22: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Honours) @ UoM
My guides:
A quick guide to language and argument analysis
HHD sample questions
HHD 2019 Comprehensive examiner report analysis

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #342 on: January 16, 2021, 02:05:30 pm »
+6
AHHHH!!!!!

This is incredible! See you around campus :D

I'm not sure if you remember writing this (below) but yeah, you've gotten to this point and that has taken a lot. Congratulations :) 
long quote
Actually, my interest in the medical field began when I was around 6 (young, right?!). We had a family friend who was a doctor, whom I vaguely remember now, but I do clearly have the memory of her being a role model to me. She was a practicing GP, and I recall this one time when we (me and my parents) went to her clinic to visit her. On that day, she gave me one of those moving cube things (I found the exact one I have online here!). I was only 6 at the time, so most of the words on there were like a foreign language to me. Despite there being complex words that I had no idea about, I was intrigued by the actual images (and the prospect of moving the cubes around, because it was fun). As I grew, I began slowly understanding what the words all meant. It's actually on my table right now, and I can't thank the doctor that gave it to me enough, because it's something that has sentimental value to me and sparked my interest. Obviously, my 'dream career' changed often in primary school; I remember once I wanted to be jockey, and firefighter, and a vet. But there was always something about that cube that brought me back to it.

Now, I have much more knowledge about what a doctor actually is and what they do, and I definitely know now that it's my dream career. I think most people now overlook the trust between a doctor and their patient, as it's such a normal thing to go to the doctor if you have a fever, or a cold. I think it's amazing that an individual is able to go to someone they don't know at a very vulnerable point of time in their life, and trust that person to help them get better. It might sound silly, but that trust has earned my respect for doctors. To be able to trust in someone like that really means something, and I'd like that someone to be me one day. Work experience only intrigued and inspired me even more, as for one of the days I was lucky enough to be with the surgeon and nurses in the surgery room and got to see a few surgeries myself (plus I was wearing spuds!). The surgeon was also kind enough to explain what exactly he was doing and the apparatus he used. Just being with the patients at work experience was amazing, and visiting them and talking to them was super fun. I reckon my favourite department was the emergency department, as it was pretty busy and so many different people came in with very different cases (and there was lots of running around to do!)

I know undergrad med is tough, but I want to give it a shot and see where I can go. One day, I want to be able to look myself in the mirror and know that I've helped so many lives as a doctor, no matter how small that help may have been  :D

When med school is tough and difficult I hope you come back to this post and remember how you felt receiving that offer. Btw if you're struggling with Monash admin remember that a bunch of us are from Monash - feel free to ask a question in the Monash (or broader uni) part of the forum. The admin side does get easier and less overwhelming :)

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #343 on: January 18, 2021, 11:02:19 am »
+3
CONGRATULATIONS WHYS!!!
You've put in so much dedication and hard work and you've gotten what you absolutely deserve!! You've been such an inspiration to me and I am DEFINITELY gonna be annoyingly PM'ing you throughout the year asking for help and advice and just to keep in touch and see how amazing your life is now! Super excited for you!
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

MoonChild1234

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #344 on: January 18, 2021, 11:38:08 am »
+3
WHYS omg!! i have been silently following your journal for ages and I am so bloody happy for you!! I might just be in an emotional mood but the way you wrote your last entry kinda made me wanna tear up, I'm gonna miss your journal so much!!

You absolutely deserve this so so much and I wish you all the best for the coming years, hopefully its everything you have dreamt of and more <33

this may sound weird but reading your journal I was so invested and I am so glad that after all the downs, you have achieved your goal!

CONGRATS!!