Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:16:43 am

Author Topic: VCE Chemistry Question Thread  (Read 2313356 times)  Share 

colline

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ♡ 2 Timothy 1:7 ♡
  • Respect: +512
Re: VCE Chemistry Question Thread
« Reply #8115 on: August 29, 2019, 07:59:44 am »
+1
I just needed some help in the department of writing methodologies. I'm confused as to how much detail needs to be added etc. Like, do I mention that I used a dropping pipette to achieve a required mass of 150.0g?? Or do I just say, the solution was poured into the beaker to attain a mass of 150.0g??

If you listed something in the ‘materials’ section of your prac report, then you must talk about how it’s used in the method. So yes you would need to give that amount of detail. ^-^

VCE: Literature [50] Methods [50] Further [48] Chemistry [40] Biology [33]
2022: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Economics) @ ANU

oStreamZo

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #8116 on: August 31, 2019, 06:17:14 pm »
Hi everyone,

I am having trouble figuring out what to do as my research topic. I have been told by my teacher that it has to involve energy but still cant figure out what would be relatively easy to do.

colline

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ♡ 2 Timothy 1:7 ♡
  • Respect: +512
« Reply #8117 on: September 01, 2019, 05:45:00 pm »
I know rote-learning isn't the way to go, but are there any fuel cells which would be really beneficial to memorise? In particular, advantages/disadvantages of different fuel cells and their oxidation/reduction half equations. Thank you! ^-^

VCE: Literature [50] Methods [50] Further [48] Chemistry [40] Biology [33]
2022: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Economics) @ ANU

dream chaser

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #8118 on: September 02, 2019, 08:51:37 am »
Hi Guys,

Just a quick question. Are all amino acids considered soluble in water? Or does it depend on the R group/side chain?

All replies will be much appreciated. Thanks

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
« Reply #8119 on: September 06, 2019, 10:03:39 am »
+2
Hi Guys,

Just a quick question. Are all amino acids considered soluble in water? Or does it depend on the R group/side chain?

All replies will be much appreciated. Thanks

While not all amino acids are polar, they are all soluble in water. The more polar amino acids will be more soluble in water, however even the non polar amino acids are considered soluble.
From my experience so far, you won't really need to know if an amino acid is soluble, from the exams I've done you typically need to rank amino acids in terms of relative polarity or solubility.
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

pugs

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #8120 on: September 07, 2019, 11:27:08 am »
hey, just wondering, are all side groups that are not purely hydrocarbons affected by a change in pH? (eg, will they act like acids/bases and donate/accept protons as well?)

thanks! :)

2019 vce journal here

rani_b

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +67
« Reply #8121 on: September 07, 2019, 04:16:20 pm »
+2
hey, just wondering, are all side groups that are not purely hydrocarbons affected by a change in pH? (eg, will they act like acids/bases and donate/accept protons as well?)

thanks! :)

Yes, the textbook states that "if the R-group contains a functional group with acid-base properties, it is possible for other charged forms of the amino acid to form." They can act as proton donors/acceptors.
2019 ATAR: 99.85

Selling: English [50] & Lit [48] essays! PM for details.

pugs

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #8122 on: September 07, 2019, 04:56:51 pm »
Yes, the textbook states that "if the R-group contains a functional group with acid-base properties, it is possible for other charged forms of the amino acid to form." They can act as proton donors/acceptors.
thank you for the clarification!  :D

2019 vce journal here

Massimo1

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #8123 on: September 08, 2019, 11:08:58 pm »
Might not be the best question to ask but, for Units 1&2, does anyone have any good resources in order to learn all of the content of organic chemistry? I am several days out from an exam and this is the only topic I desperately need help with at the moment and genuinely feel like I am screwed.
Dreamed it, then real lifed it - well, still trying (;

2019: Health & Human Development
2020: Biology, Chemistry, English, Global Politics, Methods

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #8124 on: September 09, 2019, 07:29:55 am »
+1
Might not be the best question to ask but, for Units 1&2, does anyone have any good resources in order to learn all of the content of organic chemistry? I am several days out from an exam and this is the only topic I desperately need help with at the moment and genuinely feel like I am screwed.
Welcome to atarnotes!

Not a bad question at all :)

It'll be a bit overkill, but organic chemistry is also covered in year 12 so you ould download some of the organic chem notes for that as there's a variety of them here

AnonymooseUser

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #8125 on: September 14, 2019, 02:04:06 pm »
Hi all,

So in a couple of exams I've done, (both past VCAA and external company ones) questions involving density have come up. I can't find anything specifically on density in the study design, but still wondering if there is a chance such a question appears on the exam.

Thanks!

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
« Reply #8126 on: September 14, 2019, 05:46:01 pm »
+3
Hi all,

So in a couple of exams I've done, (both past VCAA and external company ones) questions involving density have come up. I can't find anything specifically on density in the study design, but still wondering if there is a chance such a question appears on the exam.

Thanks!
I've seen it pop up in exams too. I'm honestly not sure about what the study design says about it, but density is a pretty simple idea so I would suggest just knowing it Reguardless.
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

xxxjss

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #8127 on: September 14, 2019, 06:41:17 pm »
+4
Hi all,

Thanks!

Just to add to Erutepa, the data booklet supplied by VCAA has the density of water in it, and as it is given I believe VCAA would expect you to know how to manipulate the formula into the required volume or mass. It should just be another step in calculations, hence an extra mark to grab :D

Rameen

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #8128 on: September 18, 2019, 06:37:27 pm »
Hi!

I am confused with the answers to this question. I am pretty sure for % m/m the units should be the same, for eg grams/grams.
But for this question, the answer is in mg/g.
Can someone please provide some clarification?

Thanks a lot!!

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
« Reply #8129 on: September 18, 2019, 09:35:53 pm »
+1
Hi!

I am confused with the answers to this question. I am pretty sure for % m/m the units should be the same, for eg grams/grams.
But for this question, the answer is in mg/g.
Can someone please provide some clarification?

Thanks a lot!!
As far as I am aware it should be the same unit within the calculation (i.e. grams/grams or mg/mg).
Is the answer from your teacher? It may just be the case that your teacher messer up their units and thought the mass of lead as 0.15 was in grams.
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point