Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:28:05 pm

Author Topic: English Extension 1 Question Thread  (Read 150257 times)  Share 

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
Re: English Extension 1 Question Thread
« Reply #270 on: October 07, 2017, 11:01:49 am »
What is the correct formation sort of thing for introducing texts? Sooo many teachers have taught me different! Like do we underline the name of texts or 'put them in quotation marks'
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

mixel

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #271 on: October 07, 2017, 11:13:06 am »
+2
What is the correct formation sort of thing for introducing texts? Sooo many teachers have taught me different! Like do we underline the name of texts or 'put them in quotation marks'

Hey, as far as my teachers have told me the convention is single quotation marks for texts that are published alongside other texts in a compendium / anthology / collection or are otherwise short (so poems, short stories, short films), and underlining for substantial texts that have been published discretely from others.
HSC 2017 subjects
Biology, Economics, English Advanced, English EXT1, English EXT2, General Maths, Modern History

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
« Reply #272 on: October 09, 2017, 07:36:20 pm »
+1
How many paragraphs do people do for essays roughly? Would 3 be alright if they're very long paragraphs aka full essay including intro and conclusion totalling 1400 words?
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #273 on: October 09, 2017, 07:38:55 pm »
How many paragraphs do people do for essays roughly? Would 3 be alright if they're very long paragraphs aka full essay including intro and conclusion totalling 1400 words?

I do:
INTRO
PRESCRIBED TEXT 1
PRESCRIBED TEXT 2
ORT 1
ORT 2
CONCLUSION
:)
I'm guessing you do integrated essay structure if you have 3 paras?
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
« Reply #274 on: October 09, 2017, 07:49:08 pm »
I do:
INTRO
PRESCRIBED TEXT 1
PRESCRIBED TEXT 2
ORT 1
ORT 2
CONCLUSION
:)
I'm guessing you do integrated essay structure if you have 3 paras?

yussss, but 1.8k?? are you writing for the full hour and skimming close to not finishing, or finishing before, or using up some of your creative time?
HSC subjects

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #275 on: October 09, 2017, 07:55:34 pm »
+1
yussss, but 1.8k?? are you writing for the full hour and skimming close to not finishing, or finishing before, or using up some of your creative time?

well in the trial i wrote 13 pgs essay and 9 pgs creative and had 5 mins left i write crazy fast hahaha  :P
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
« Reply #276 on: October 09, 2017, 08:06:08 pm »
well in the trial i wrote 13 pgs essay and 9 pgs creative and had 5 mins left i write crazy fast hahaha  :P

That's amazing!!!!!
HSC subjects

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #277 on: October 09, 2017, 08:08:08 pm »
That's amazing!!!!!

Hahah I guess but don't worry too much about length! If you can crack 8 pages for each that is plenty! And plus you don't want to be rambling and waffling on for too much anyway. It's better when your essay is succinct. My teacher just seemed to love it when you wrote heaps so I made sure to write plenty and I didnt waffle or anything but I definitely would have wrote a shorter conclusion in the hsc hahaah

carolinewang206

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
  • School: Barrenjoey
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #278 on: October 19, 2017, 04:40:15 pm »

I try and make my paras shorter so end up having 3-4 per paradigm so about 10 bodies in total. I reckon if it's what your comfortable with writing and can make sure your point doesn't get lost and that you keep coming back to the question then you're fine :)

But personally I find find it's also easier to make sure I'm always answering the question that way. My essay ends up being about 2200 words, but I'm able to write that in about 1 hour 3 mins

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #279 on: October 23, 2017, 01:36:50 pm »
So I'm prepping for Extension a bit this week just because my next exam is Friday and so I have plenty of spare time. Does anyone have thoughts for the creative and the stimulus/prompt you reckon we will get? I can adapt my story with ease to everything except anything explicitly about the setting so hopefully fingers crossed that doesn't come up! I'm feeling like they may ask us to base our creative around a historical event or figure as they haven't done that yet and it would certainly catch people out! I'm just looking at my own creative now - it is set on a slave ship following the Abolition of the Slave Trade Movement and in essence follows a crewman's internal struggle in protesting against the injustice of slavery (the boat sinks at the end as a symbol of nature taking it's retribution on man's wrongdoings). Do you guys reckon this is placed within a historical event enough or would it have to explicitly be about the Abolition of the Slave Trade ie. set in the Parliament as it is happening? Also if it asked to be based off the life of a significant historical figure, does it have to be explicitly based off his/her life? My figure I would go with, Oloudah Equiano was a slave who campaigned for slave rights after being freed and basically I wanted to more focus on his experience on slave ship as to keep the majority of my story intact rather than his actual life. Would this be okay too? Just have a feeling that is the kind of prompt they could give us this year? Thanks :)

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
« Reply #280 on: October 24, 2017, 11:34:08 am »
So I'm prepping for Extension a bit this week just because my next exam is Friday and so I have plenty of spare time. Does anyone have thoughts for the creative and the stimulus/prompt you reckon we will get? I can adapt my story with ease to everything except anything explicitly about the setting so hopefully fingers crossed that doesn't come up! I'm feeling like they may ask us to base our creative around a historical event or figure as they haven't done that yet and it would certainly catch people out! I'm just looking at my own creative now - it is set on a slave ship following the Abolition of the Slave Trade Movement and in essence follows a crewman's internal struggle in protesting against the injustice of slavery (the boat sinks at the end as a symbol of nature taking it's retribution on man's wrongdoings). Do you guys reckon this is placed within a historical event enough or would it have to explicitly be about the Abolition of the Slave Trade ie. set in the Parliament as it is happening? Also if it asked to be based off the life of a significant historical figure, does it have to be explicitly based off his/her life? My figure I would go with, Oloudah Equiano was a slave who campaigned for slave rights after being freed and basically I wanted to more focus on his experience on slave ship as to keep the majority of my story intact rather than his actual life. Would this be okay too? Just have a feeling that is the kind of prompt they could give us this year? Thanks :)

I was thinking possibly a historical event too! Or maybe they might give us a visual stimulus as I notice that hasn't been used too much before? Not too sure about the historical figure question though, so maybe wait for someone with more expertise to answer that :P, buttttt I am hoping your wishes are also right!
HSC subjects

bsdfjnlkasn

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #281 on: October 24, 2017, 09:45:35 pm »
Hey there!

I am SO lost with preparing for extension english and would really love to hear from anyone who has a list of practice questions (both creative and critical) that they would be willing enough to share. It's just so hard to find papers for after the bomb and I don't want my first practice to be in the exam room. I hope you can all understand this, the exam is less than a week away and I think this is a great chance for all of us to work together and smash the exam :D

Let me know if you guys have anything!!

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #282 on: October 24, 2017, 09:53:37 pm »
+1
Hey there!

I am SO lost with preparing for extension english and would really love to hear from anyone who has a list of practice questions (both creative and critical) that they would be willing enough to share. It's just so hard to find papers for after the bomb and I don't want my first practice to be in the exam room. I hope you can all understand this, the exam is less than a week away and I think this is a great chance for all of us to work together and smash the exam :D

Let me know if you guys have anything!!

I don't do ATB but here's some that aren't past HSC papers, if you have already looked at those:

Texts that focus on the anxieties of the Cold War years set up challenges for responders: challenges that often arise from the relationship between a composer’s concerns and the points of view within the texts from which these are presented (2010 Independent Trial)

While the texts in this elective cover a wide diversity of forms, they all engage with the personal and political concerns of the Cold War era and associated social and moral issues.’ Evaluate this statement. (2009 Independent Trial)

Aspects of political and social anxiety are the main concern of the elective After the Bomb. How are these aspects given significance in the texts studied for this elective? (2009 Catholic Trial)

Without art the human spirit would disintegrate into the anonymous statistics of history. How do your 2 prescribed texts and 2 related texts show this statement to be true?

An obvious consequence of this period and the events that shaped it is a loss of innocence which has been replaced with a sense of cynicism and despair. Evaluate to what extent the texts you have studied as part of the After the Bomb elective prove this statement to be true.

“Freedom is at the heart of After the Bomb. Yet control is also crucial.” Write an essay in which you evaluate the extent to which this is true with reference to TWO prescribed texts AND at least TWO texts of your own choosing.

maevecouch

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #283 on: October 26, 2017, 07:43:53 am »
As you suggested in the PM Elyse, here is my creatve writing. I completely scrapped my old one from my Mid Term exams and Trials as I was never truly happy with it. I'm doing Romanticism, so I hope that is ok. The story is based on William Waterhouse's "The Lady of Shallot" painting which in turn is based on Tennyson's poem by the same name. It's about 1320 words, as I'm not a fast writer so I'm also wondering if that is enough for Extension? Thank you in advance :)

I do not remember exactly when or why she caught my eye, but what I do recall is the overwhelming feeling of wonder that consumed me from the day I happened upon her. She was exotic and intangible. A creature of such beauty that caused even the Sun to hide it’s face in enviable shame.  Likewise, although the connection to her was immediately intense, I did not know the reasoning behind it.

She was the reason I visited my grandmother so often as a young child. Down the gravel path I would skip and my untamed pigtails, like loose reigns, would fly in the air after me. When I rapped the old cedar door of my grandmother’s cottage, a benevolent and bent old woman, with a face that frayed as she smiled at my return, appeared and ushered me in. Before I could even set my luggage down I looked her pleadingly in her watery grey eyes and displayed my own toothy smile in an attempt to get permission to see the lady on the lake. Much to my dismay, the lady remained permanently shut away in the study. Away from an inquisitive little girl and a world that would adore her. When I asked why she must be removed from this world, the only reply I got was the same stern expression from my grandmother tinged with a puzzling and deep sadness. So, when the house fell quiet, I would creep in and stare at the painting for as many moments as time would allow in order to take in the entire composition. Before me was a lady with long, golden locks floating in the air like the boughs of the willows lining the river beside my grandmother’s cottage. Her white dress was lengthy too, and pooled down the sides of her wooden craft in a careless yet graceful manner. The lake that so delicately cradled the boat was a woven tapestry and patchwork of the trees that skirted it and the slate sky above. Yet, what intrigued me the most was her equivocal expression. Her eyes looked beyond the frame out onto the torpid water. Her lips didn’t turn up in glee, nor did they turn down in sadness. My unseasoned mind could not decipher the artists purpose and refused to think beyond the constraints of the frame, hence why it frustrated me endlessly. Nevertheless, I longed to be there with her to offer my company because despite the beauty and freedom that she lavished in, she seemed awfully lonely. Was it because her world was only of oil, careful brushwork and canvas? Was that the reason my grandmother was so strangely sombre when the topic of her came up? The loneliness seeped through and immediately sunk into me like a winter chill that gnaws at one’s bones. In resolution, to thaw this lonesome frost that settled on the cottage, I vowed to visit her when I could so as to be there with her while she sat, suspended in animation on the lake and it’s patchwork trees. 

As my grandmother bent further under the burden of old age and her mind touched the fringes of senility, I was forced to study under the disciplinary eye of the preceptors. Here I learnt the theorems of Pythagoras and the maxims of Aristotle. While my mind absorbed the numbers and extracts from the tomes I read, my interest in the lady on the lake dwindled. I spent my youth inside studying the passages of philosophers and mathematicians; oblivious to the fall of the variegated leaves beyond the glass window and the flight of the swallows in the spring. No longer did I have the liberty or time to admire the petty paint strokes of an artist or the woman who once resembled a seraph but now was the meagre muse of one’s imagination.

The cottage must have been concreted in a chilled desolation due to my absence yet my adolescent self paid no attention until the day came when the gaunt branches of the willow bent too far and my grandmother passed away in solitude. While we cloaked her in dirt, bitter tears of regret swelled and hardened at the edge of my face as they met the winter frost. The adjacent river was hardened with ice when we later went to clear my grandmother’s house of the dust-clotted past belongings within. The door leading to that dreaded room matched the wood of the casket we buried her in but was forgiving as I placed my hands on it. Curiously, no creak sounded as I pushed it ajar, as if the house insisted on remaining silent. Even my footsteps on the cedar floor vibrated soundlessly. Through the crack in the door, I saw a blank space remaining where the lady once hung. With a fright I swung open the door completely. On the bed in the centre of the musty room she lay, covered by a delicate film of dormant dust motes.  I felt my heart flutter with an unprecedented mixture of relief and sadness. As I neared the image, a wisp of wind blew from the crevice in the opposite window, stirring the motes into a wheeling dance in the air above. Her expression was just as ambiguous as it had been before I had knowledge on the mechanics of language and numbers; when the world beyond my familial one was only a dream yet to be ventured. Her locks still skirted the white garb she wore that cascaded down the sides of the craft. The lake remained permanently stamped by the patchworked trees. I pick up the painting by its framed edges, handling it like a moth’s wing, but as I do so a slip of paper falls from the frames crevice behind the canvas. Placing the painting back down, I pick up the paper. Inked words unfurl across the stained and warped background. Addressed to my grandma, it reads;
  “Charlotte,
  Lovely daughter of mine, I know we have so much more of this earth to explore, but our lives obey the doctrine of time, and I fear my time here is nearing an
  ending horizon. If there is anything I pray you remember me by, it is this painting. Within the scene before you, remember me by our days of rambles by the
  willo’d stream and the rainy ones we spent inside reading the poems that livened our imaginations.  Minds filled by the lady in the Tennyson poem you so dearly
  enjoyed. The lady who, despite being cursed to never venture beyond her spire in Camelot, graced the night for the first and last time;

"Down the river she came and found a boat / beneath a willow left afloat… She loosed the chain, and down she lay; the broad stream bore her far away… Lying,
  robed in snowy white… thro’ the noises of the night… singing her last song, the Lady of Shallot” (extract from Tennyson's poem)

All my undying love,
  Your affectionate father, William”

The whispers of wind stir me from my reverie and bring me back to reality. I see the lady in the painting with sharpened eyes. I see the lantern hung about the neck of the bow and its lit flame that anticipates the approaching night. Three candles are positioned on the side of the craft, however two have been blown out and the third appears threatened by wind, a portentous warning of her nearing fate. The formulae in my mind dissipate as I sink into my childhood and the woman before me reforms into the divine being I once knew her by. The reasoning behind the connection to her I felt dawns on me. Fated to be locked up by a system. Cursed to obey. She studied the woven threads. I studied integers and strict philosophies. To break the hoarfrost, we both must venture beyond the willows; beyond the frame. In the memory of my grandmother.

HSC 2017 - Eng. Ext. 2 / Ancient History / Art / Physics / Adv. Maths

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
« Reply #284 on: October 26, 2017, 11:50:26 am »
Hey guys - just for Romanticism - I am confused as to what Idealism actually means in the context of our studies. There's two ideas I can find:
1. The belief that what we call the "external world" is somehow created by our minds.
2. The desire to transform/make the world better.
Any ideas as to whether both are correct or only one? Thanks :)