Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 12:00:13 am

Author Topic: Earth & Enviro Science: Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions  (Read 1816 times)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes

This thread is for all exam related discussion. Was it easy? Was it hard? What did you get for 'that' tough question?? Feel free to pop any and all of your thoughts below.

If you don't have an ATAR Notes account yet, no stress! Register for free here!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 11:40:41 am by jamonwindeyer »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

horse9996

• Trendsetter
Re: Earth & Enviro Science: Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 01:19:56 pm »
I’m so annoyed, I realised that I left a 4 mark q with 5 minutes left and I had to quickly answer, no time to plan. The multiple choice also has potential for error, and I want to get 95 so hopefully it scales ok
HSC 2018
Advanced English (88) | Maths Ext 1(47) | Chemistry (88) | Earth & Environmental Science (94 - 5th in state) | Geography (89)

ATAR 98.2

jazcstuart

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 01:31:06 pm »
I’m so annoyed, I realised that I left a 4 mark q with 5 minutes left and I had to quickly answer, no time to plan. The multiple choice also has potential for error, and I want to get 95 so hopefully it scales ok
Thats annoying, which question? You could still get good marks for that question without planning though.

I thought it was a pretty good test. I found the multiple choice great, i felt pretty confident for almost all of them. Short answers were ok, i could think of a 4th advantage for reptiles though, which was annoying. I think my answer for question 30 could have been better but it was ok. I was happy with most of the questions, particularly the 6 marker for Introduced species. I was kicking myself that I didn't know another method of another method to compare to the Bradley method, so I said modified bradley method which is used in some areas, whoops.

Which option did you do?
HSC 2017 - Mathematics, Music 1
HSC 2018 - English (Advanced), Maths Extension 1, Chemistry, Geography, Earth and Environmental Science

2019 - B Renewable Energy Engineering @ University of Newcastle

horse9996

• Trendsetter
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 03:21:05 pm »
Thats annoying, which question? You could still get good marks for that question without planning though.

I thought it was a pretty good test. I found the multiple choice great, i felt pretty confident for almost all of them. Short answers were ok, i could think of a 4th advantage for reptiles though, which was annoying. I think my answer for question 30 could have been better but it was ok. I was happy with most of the questions, particularly the 6 marker for Introduced species. I was kicking myself that I didn't know another method of another method to compare to the Bradley method, so I said modified bradley method which is used in some areas, whoops.

Which option did you do?

Introduced species, the 4 mark one on assessing quarantine methods. I told my teacher what I wrote and he just said 'ok,' so idk if its good/bad or what. I said stuff like Australia has a long coastline so illegal/accidental introductions, improving x ray technology, reduced rate of introductions compared to the past, etc.

The reason I'm kinda worried is cause the multiple choice I felt fine in, but then my teacher was unsure of some of them and said they were hard so idk. Theres room for variability there which is not much space for the option for variability if I was to get 95 :(

I thought q30 was fairly interesting, had heaps to talk about. Just hard to plan/answer but I took my time so happy with that one. 4 comparisons for reptiles/amphibians is a lot as well, I said skeleton/muscles lol
HSC 2018
Advanced English (88) | Maths Ext 1(47) | Chemistry (88) | Earth & Environmental Science (94 - 5th in state) | Geography (89)

ATAR 98.2

jazcstuart

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 04:03:36 pm »
Introduced species, the 4 mark one on assessing quarantine methods. I told my teacher what I wrote and he just said 'ok,' so idk if its good/bad or what. I said stuff like Australia has a long coastline so illegal/accidental introductions, improving x ray technology, reduced rate of introductions compared to the past, etc.

The reason I'm kinda worried is cause the multiple choice I felt fine in, but then my teacher was unsure of some of them and said they were hard so idk. Theres room for variability there which is not much space for the option for variability if I was to get 95 :(

I thought q30 was fairly interesting, had heaps to talk about. Just hard to plan/answer but I took my time so happy with that one. 4 comparisons for reptiles/amphibians is a lot as well, I said skeleton/muscles lol
At least if you felt fine in multiple choice, that's a good sign. I think I talked about how having the dedicated quarantine body AQIS enaures continued effectiveness, I talked about different methods and said evidence of the effectiveness is that australia has remained free of different diseases. So we were kind of different, but I think what you said makes sense.

Yeah I thought Q30 was interesting as well, heaps to talk about in the diagram.
HSC 2018 - English (Advanced), Maths Extension 1, Chemistry, Geography, Earth and Environmental Science

horse9996

• Trendsetter
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 04:07:00 pm »
At least if you felt fine in multiple choice, that's a good sign. I think I talked about how having the dedicated quarantine body AQIS enaures continued effectiveness, I talked about different methods and said evidence of the effectiveness is that australia has remained free of different diseases. So we were kind of different, but I think what you said makes sense.

Yeah I thought Q30 was interesting as well, heaps to talk about in the diagram.

How do I stop worrying about it? Gotta focus on chem and geo now, heaps of content and past papers to do and such little time haha
HSC 2018

ATAR 98.2

jazcstuart

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 06:36:32 pm »
How do I stop worrying about it? Gotta focus on chem and geo now, heaps of content and past papers to do and such little time haha
I don't know, but if you felt good about everything except one question (which you still answered!) and possibly a couple of multiple choice questions, your goal is still achievable!

Yep you can't afford to be worrying about earth with chem and geo coming up, but I think 5 days is a surprisingly long time to consolidate stuff and do plenty of practice!

(Sorry idk why I only just saw this)

horse9996

• Trendsetter
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 08:49:45 pm »
I don't know, but if you felt good about everything except one question (which you still answered!) and possibly a couple of multiple choice questions, your goal is still achievable!

Yep you can't afford to be worrying about earth with chem and geo coming up, but I think 5 days is a surprisingly long time to consolidate stuff and do plenty of practice!

(Sorry idk why I only just saw this)

Haha all good :) Yea I hope so, as long as I can focus and stay motivated. So close to the end I don't want to give up now, but idk if I can wait 1.5 months for marks haha ahhhhh
HSC 2018

ATAR 98.2