Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 02:52:16 am

Author Topic: Physics: Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions  (Read 1562 times)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
Physics: Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions
« on: October 09, 2018, 12:05:02 pm »

This thread is for all exam related discussion. Was it easy? Was it hard? What did you get for 'that' tough question?? Feel free to pop any and all of your thoughts below.

If you don't have an ATAR Notes account yet, no stress! Register for free here!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 11:41:33 am by jamonwindeyer »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

A Selective Student

• Adventurer
Re: Physics: Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 01:21:44 pm »
Hmm time to start it. The test was relatively easy since i felt the questions hit the spots i knew quite well. Exam felt pretty short. Good finish to physics :D
HSC 2018
Advanced English | Maths Ext 1 | Maths Ext 2 | Chemistry | Physics

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 01:48:56 pm »
The exam was alright, I guess. There were some questions that I wasn't sure how to elaborate on it. I am satisfied with my response on the standard model for the Quanta to Quarks section.
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

phunky

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 01:52:46 pm »
I didn't like multiple choice and I think I stuffed up the calculation for the velocity of the 20kg mass :((  What did everyone write for the 6 mark power transmission thing?

Ellielh

• Trailblazer
  • i always have too many tabs open
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 01:56:24 pm »
I thought it was pretty decent. Multiple choice was tricky to me, there was a lot of questions that I narrowed down to two options and took a guess out of those. The content didn't really change all that much, majority of it was on ideas to implementation and a little bit of motors and generators, but not much space (I was keen to talk about von braun). My option was astrophysics. My responses to a and b probably were a bit shakey, but after that, the questions were actually really good! The seven marker was very straightforward and asked about spectra and a prac - both things I have covered twice because it's also in my chem option. So all in all, I'm pretty happy with that.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 01:59:50 pm by Ellielh »
HSC 2018: Chemistry | English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | SOR2

UNI 2019: Bachelor of Science @ ANU

Ellielh

• Trailblazer
  • i always have too many tabs open
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 01:58:00 pm »
I didn't like multiple choice and I think I stuffed up the calculation for the velocity of the 20kg mass :((  What did everyone write for the 6 mark power transmission thing?

The transmission question was so odd. I don't think we even covered something like that at school. I tried to relate my answer to the equations on the formula sheet and said why AC was used. Hopefully it will suffice.
HSC 2018: Chemistry | English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | SOR2

UNI 2019: Bachelor of Science @ ANU

Fergus6748

• Trendsetter
  • Never let your memories be greater than your dream
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 02:53:31 pm »
The transmission question was so odd. I don't think we even covered something like that at school. I tried to relate my answer to the equations on the formula sheet and said why AC was used. Hopefully it will suffice.
That transmission question was pretty wierd. I ended up talking about how higher demand means that the power plant will have to transmit power at a higher voltage or a higher current. Then talked about how that would be a problem for each and how it degrades the transmission lines. Also talked about eddy currents in the transformers and also eddy currents produced in surrounding metal by the current flowing in the transmission lines would warp and pull at the lines and structures and add excessive heat further degrading the transmission lines.

I thought multiple choice was ok. There a heap of relativity questions in there.
Hsc: Advanced English || Maths Extension 1 || Mathematics || Economics || Chemistry || Physics