Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:08:39 pm

Author Topic: Space repetition  (Read 976 times)  Share 

SmartWorker

• Forum Obsessive
  • Wake determined. Sleep Satisfied.
  • Respect: +79
Space repetition
« on: February 09, 2020, 11:04:46 am »
Hey.

I am doing Bio 3/4 this year. A concept I hear a lot to do with staying is space repetition. How do you this concept to effectively study Bio (do you timetable revision periods in or ...)

What kind of active recall methods do you use?

Thank you, much appreciated.😀
Advice to smash Biology ¾:

2021 VCE - 99.35

Tutoring Bio, Chem, English, Methods 1/2 & 3/4 for 2022. DM if interested

Want some advice for VCE? 👇

https://youtu.be/zq0xsaE9GJ4

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Space repetition
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 11:13:48 am »
+2
Hey, you made this post twice so I've deleted the other version of it as per forum rules

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 11:16:08 am »
+5
Hey.

I am doing Bio 3/4 this year. A concept I hear a lot to do with staying is space repetition. How do you this concept to effectively study Bio (do you timetable revision periods in or ...)

Spaced repetition basically exploits the Ebbinghaus forgetting curve. This curve showcases the decrease in the ability of the brain to retain memory over time. So let's say when you learn something your memory is at 100% - I believe after a day you lose about 70% and after a week 90% of those memories.  By doing spaced repetition i.e. reviewing content you are constantly bringing back your memory level to 100%. The more often you review content the longer it will take for you to lose those memories.

I don't think you ever need to have a timetable for revision but you should be going back frequently. The best way to do this for VCE is practice questions imo

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 11:24:49 am »
+3
Hey.

Hey SmartWorker! ;D

Spaced Repetition is a really great study technique, I used it for my prelim exams last year and found that if you stick to it, it really helps. Below explains how space repetition works, and I will be using an example of Biology:

Day 1: Study Biology
Day 2: Revise over what you studied the day before
Day 4: Revise/ study what you did on day 1
Day 13: Revise/ study what you did on day 1 + do some exam style questions to reinforce your understanding

The general idea about this method is constantly going over newly learnt information, through "revision sessions", for greater content recall. Thus, it results in the "forgetting curve", slowly being combated :)

I hope this helps,
Coolmate 8)
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

Bio.best.science

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 07:07:33 pm »
+4
What worked best for me was covering the content at home the same day you learn it, making questions based on the content, using ANKI and then answering the questions with VCAA level answers. I believe that is the best way to study Biology, it got me a 50 last year.
Bio: 50
Further: 49