Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:41:55 pm

Author Topic: Art study score doesn’t make sense - is it worth contacting VCAA?  (Read 2819 times)

ArtyDreams

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Fly against the wind. Not with it.
I was extremely disappointed receiving my Art Study score, (39) when I was projected to get a 45+. I thought I would’ve done badly on my exam, but looking at my statement of marks, I’ve done really well, and I’m questioning how my study score became that low.

For my SACs I had 59/60 (worth 20%) which scaled to 57/60 by VCAA.
For my folio (worth 50%) I had 100% marked by my teacher, which scaled to 95% by VCAA. Whyyyy.
For my exam I achieved 69/75 (worth 30%) which is about 91%.

I was Rank One.

Plugging these scaled scores to Deakin Calc, I got 47. I know this calc is not accurate as it is for old years, but can it really be that off?

If I only lost 6 marks on the exam, there’s so many study scores after my 39 to get to 50. How on earth do those fit in? It seriously doesn’t make sense.

Is it worth contacting VCAA? Am I just unlucky?
Would really appreciate some advice.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
Re: Art study score doesn’t make sense - is it worth contacting VCAA?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 06:28:40 pm »
Looking at the 2019 grade distribution 57/60 was a low A+ (keep in mind 12.3% of people got A+'s for sacs so that would put you in the high 30s/low 40s range).

Folio again is likely in that low 40s range. The A+ range was 85+/100 but 27% of people were awarded A+'s.

Your exam is probably in the mid A+ range. A+ was 132/150 and only 8% were awarded that.

Your study score is plausible if you account for variance between years (although I might've thought you would have scored over 40)  but if you are still unsure you can always try to get them to look over it again.

ArtyDreams

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Fly against the wind. Not with it.
Re: Art study score doesn’t make sense - is it worth contacting VCAA?
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 09:31:29 am »
Thanks so much Sine for your help.

Any other year I’m sure this would have been a 40+, but I guess everyone would’ve done really well this year  :(