Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 09:28:21 pm

Author Topic: The Crucible Question  (Read 576 times)

JCorben.2019

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
The Crucible Question
« on: February 05, 2019, 01:50:06 pm »
Hey could I please have help breaking down this question?

Texts that represent human experiences position the responder to see the world in different ways.

To what extent is this evident in The Crucible?

Kind Regards
James

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
Re: The Crucible Question
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 02:39:22 pm »
+1
Hey could I please have help breaking down this question?

Texts that represent human experiences position the responder to see the world in different ways.

To what extent is this evident in The Crucible?

Kind Regards
James

Hi!

I can't break this down in relation to TC as I didn't study it but what this question requires is:

What sort of experiences does your character have in your text?

EXAMPLE: In one of my texts I studied, Citizen Kane, Kane (who is incredibly rich and focused on power/wealth) experiences what it is like to lose love. Both of his wives leave him due to his selfish and ambitious pursuit for power.

Then the question wants you to explore how this then makes the responder change their mind about the way they view the world.

So in this instance, Welles (the director) uses the character of Kane and his downfall (losing love and human connections in exchange for wealth and status) to make the viewer view Kane's life experience as a sad one. This is emphasised in the final scene through the use of film techniques such as chiaroscuro which basks Kane in darkness to demonstrate how lonely he now is. As a result, the responder realises wealth and power to mean little if you don't have genuine human love or connections.

Does that make sense? So first, pick a human experience that a character has and look at how they change or don't change as a result. Then consider what message this sends to the responder and how it makes them change their own minds.

Hope that makes sense!
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!