Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 07:00:09 am

Author Topic: English Advanced-Texts and Human Experiences  (Read 4177 times)

ArthurMiller

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
English Advanced-Texts and Human Experiences
« on: January 21, 2019, 07:17:42 pm »
Any tips on for analysis of film techniques?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 09:57:56 pm by ArthurMiller »

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
Re: English Advanced-Texts and Human Experiences
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 07:31:30 pm »
+2
Hello,
For the common module, texts and human experiences, I'm doing, 'The Crucible' and I'm struggling to find a good related text in regards to "individual and collective experiences".  Perhaps something discussing communism and being closely related in terms of the character's struggles? I can't do goodnight and goodluck since we studied that. Since characters such as proctor and reverend hale are significant in terms of individual experience they are my focus however I'm struggling to find a related text where such characters are similar to that of in the related text and are struggling against the collective or in rev hale's situation, undergo a change to go against the collective. In the related I need to focus on 2 characters such as proctor and rev hale to do my 4 paragraphs for my essay on individual and collective experiences.

Help please.

Hi, there have been plenty of awesome related text suggestions for Crucible, here and here:)
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 07:38:58 pm »
+3
Hey, ArthurMiller!

Firstly, love that your username is the same as the playwright  ;) I see what you did there.

I did The Crucible in Year 12 last year and tossed between three or four related texts throughout the year. I ended up settling with George Orwell's Why I Write for my related text. It was my favourite choice because it was an essay, an uncommon form for related text choices, and addressed both individual and collective political experiences. Orwell writes about his personal convictions in writing and his experiences across different political strata. I would highly recommend it because you can draw many links between him as an author and both Proctor and Hale.

The other three related texts I had in mind were Kathy Acker's Don Quixote- which was a dream (novel), John. F. Kennedy's Ich Bin Ein Berliner (speech) and Yue Minjun's Execution. All three are also amazing texts but I would discourage perhaps the first text since it was more appropriate for a feminist writing than about communism and character struggles. If you were interested in looking specifically at personal and shared experiences, I would encourage the JFK speech or Minjun's artwork because they both explore communism, corruption in leadership and individual responses to political crises.

If you would like some recommendations, kauac has wonderfully suggested my friend and fellow AN English enthusiast Darcy's list of related texts for the prescribed texts in the common module which you can also consider  ;D The themes and ideas of each related text are listed so you can decide which ones would be appropriate for your essay  :) Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions!

Angelina  ;D
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 07:40:49 pm by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

meerae

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Trendsetter
  • wack.
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 08:00:05 pm »
+1
Hello,
For the common module, texts and human experiences, I'm doing, 'The Crucible' and I'm struggling to find a good related text in regards to "individual and collective experiences".  Perhaps something discussing communism and being closely related in terms of the character's struggles? I can't do goodnight and goodluck since we studied that. Since characters such as proctor and reverend hale are significant in terms of individual experience they are my focus however I'm struggling to find a related text where such characters are similar to that of in the related text and are struggling against the collective or in rev hale's situation, undergo a change to go against the collective. In the related I need to focus on 2 characters such as proctor and rev hale to do my 4 paragraphs for my essay on individual and collective experiences.

Help please.

Hi ArthurMiller!
As the posts above have detailed suggestions of related texts, I thought I'd just add that if you didn't know for the actual HSC exam, we are not required to have a related text. So, unless this is for an internal assessment, it's been strongly suggested (to myself as well, I was shocked to hear my time analysing and writing notes was wasted) that we do not write notes/analyse a related text for our common module.

Hope this helped!
meerae :)
2018 hsc; mathematics
2019 hsc; english adv english ext 1&2 math ext 1 legal studies economics

HSC w/ a stresshead {class of'19}

ArthurMiller

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 08:11:13 pm »
Hi Angelina!

Thanks for your response. I have read that essay and I'm struggling with finding a connection to proctor and especially reverend hale in terms of their individual experience being overpowered by the collective. i found one quote where it says "this increased my natural hatred of authority and made me for the first time fully aware of the existence of the working classes" which is similar to proctor but finding language techniques is also hard for my essay with "Why i write" as related.

ArthurMiller

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 08:15:52 pm »
Hi meerae
I'm aware that a related text is not used in the HSC. This is indeed for an assessment task where I need to answer how is the individual and collective experience represented in the prescribed (the crucible) and one related text. So analysing the related text is of course necessary where 2 of my body paragraphs will be based on it.

RandaDimitri

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 09:05:30 pm »
Hello,
For the common module, 'Texts and Human Experiences, I am currently studying the text 1984 by George Orwell, however, I have not managed to find an appropriate related text. Since I am studying a novel, my school requires that I study a different form of text (i.e poetry, film). Are there any texts that you recommend that are suitable to 1984?
Thank you in advance!

meerae

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Trendsetter
  • wack.
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 09:09:39 pm »
+1
Hello,
For the common module, 'Texts and Human Experiences, I am currently studying the text 1984 by George Orwell, however, I have not managed to find an appropriate related text. Since I am studying a novel, my school requires that I study a different form of text (i.e poetry, film). Are there any texts that you recommend that are suitable to 1984?
Thank you in advance!

Hi RandaDimitri!

I am also studying 1984 and I had two related texts ready for my internal. You could use the handmaids tale (show or tv show) or the short story Harrison Bergeron. I used the Katy Perry "chained to the rhythm" music video.

Hope this helped!
meerae
2018 hsc; mathematics
2019 hsc; english adv english ext 1&2 math ext 1 legal studies economics

HSC w/ a stresshead {class of'19}

darcyynic

• MOTM: NOV 18
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 09:09:58 pm »
+2
Hello,
Thank you in advance!

Hi there!

It's been mentioned a few times in this forum, but I would redirect you to the massive compilation of related texts here

I hope these help. :)
HSC Class of 2018: English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Modern History, Ancient History, History Extension, and German Continuers.

2019: Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Advanced Studies (Politics and International Relations) (Dalyell Scholars) at USYD.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 09:13:44 pm »
Hi Angelina!

Thanks for your response. I have read that essay and I'm struggling with finding a connection to proctor and especially reverend hale in terms of their individual experience being overpowered by the collective. i found one quote where it says "this increased my natural hatred of authority and made me for the first time fully aware of the existence of the working classes" which is similar to proctor but finding language techniques is also hard for my essay with "Why i write" as related.

Hey, ArthurMiller!

I have attached my sample essay to this post which you can use as a guide for finding techniques if you are struggling to identify them. It's a different module from yours but I did frame my response around individual and collective experiences. I used different characters for my examples but the general gist is the same  :) Essays are quite difficult to find techniques for but if you really dive into it, you definitely can do it  ;D

If you do find it a challenge, do refer to any of the other suggestions I have recommended or the ones in Darcy's list  :) Let me know if you have any further questions!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

ArthurMiller

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2019, 09:59:01 pm »
Thanks Angelina
You are very helpful. Much appreciated!

ArthurMiller

• Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2019, 01:12:34 am »
Hello, another question.
Would the dark knight be good for related (for crucible) in relation to individual & collective experience (my teacher said to focus on how the individual is overpowered by the collective). I was thinking of relating proctor to joker & batman to rev hale but i feel that might not be good?

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2019, 04:26:43 am »
Hello, another question.
Would the dark knight be good for related (for crucible) in relation to individual & collective experience (my teacher said to focus on how the individual is overpowered by the collective). I was thinking of relating proctor to joker & batman to rev hale but i feel that might not be good?

Hey, ArthurMiller!

If it’s an easier text for you, I’m sure you could use The Dark Knight if you make sure you refer to the rubric and answer the question. I find that with using commercial films, the only issue that might arise is your essay potentially becoming more of a synopsis. As long as you focus on individual and collective experiences, it can work  ;D You seem to have a good grasp of it so far and that’s already favourable. Check with your teacher by sending them an email to see if they think it’s suitable. Their judgement is more likely to value to you than mine  :)

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

ArthurMiller

• Adventurer
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2019, 11:48:19 am »
Hello,
With an essay to write in 40mins & being a slow writer, how many words should i go for with 4 body paragraphs & intro & conclusion. Should the intro & conclusion be only 60 words?

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2019, 11:55:51 am »
Hello,
With an essay to write in 40mins & being a slow writer, how many words should i go for with 4 body paragraphs & intro & conclusion. Should the intro & conclusion be only 60 words?

Hey, ArthurMiller!

I would aim for around 900 words if you find yourself being a slower writer. I would divide it 50 words for the introduction and conclusion each and 200 words per body paragraph. You can add or reduce word counts for each section if need be  :) :)

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-