Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 02:27:56 pm

Author Topic: Accelerating to Year 12 Biology  (Read 1288 times)  Share 

Astic

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Accelerating to Year 12 Biology
« on: January 05, 2021, 11:00:09 pm »
General Questions

Question - Alright, so I will be transitioning to year 12 biology, going into year 11, can I have a general sense of the differences between year 11 biology (I did this year, in year 10), and year 12? These differences being in sense of the assessments (e.g. Sacs, and exams). I have covered most the unit 3 content in these holidays, so I can be well prepared. Will I get my study score at the end of year 11, or with everything else in year 12, and how will I get those marks...through my school or vcaa? 

Kind regards!

Chocolatemilkshake

• MOTM: JAN 21
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +371
Re: Accelerating to Year 12 Biology
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 06:56:07 am »
+8
- SACs are provided by your school so it really depends on how your school wants to run them. Generally you'll have one practical report write up, 3 tests (usually no multiple choice) and 1 experimental design poster (which you definitely will do because it is part of the study design). Overall, they are worth 40% of your study score.
- The SACs run like short answer tests - you'll probably find them quite similar to those done in year 11. (Usually about 50 minutes but again, it changes from school to school)
- The study design becomes more important in year 12: in year 11 you can just go with the flow of what you're taught at school, but in year 12, checking the study design and that you've covered all the necessary points becomes more important (because obviously it is all testable at the end of the year).
- The exam is more content heavy because it covers units 3/4 (whilst most schools tend to do a unit 1 exam and a unit 2 exam separately in year 11.) Although you tend to have a tonne more time to study for it.
- The content is probably heavier in general too (although given you've covered all of Unit 3 already this probably won't be a problem for you)
- It's simply a little more stressful --> because you know that SACs contribute to your study score, every SAC seems really important (especially when you are accelerating).
- I think exam technique matters more --> you'll do more practice exams and attempt to refine your expression and approach to the exam more than you did in year 11.

You will receive your study score at the end of year 11, most likely in December (but only the raw score and not the scaled score, although generally biology doesn't scale dramatically, usually a max of 1 point)
2021-2025: BMedSci/M.D @ Monash

Astic

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: Accelerating to Year 12 Biology
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 01:29:57 pm »
Thank you, helps alot!