Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 02:30:43 pm

Author Topic: 24 hours till the HHD exam how to prepare  (Read 4485 times)  Share 

tiredandstressed

• MOTM: DEC 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • pretty without the r (he/him)
  • Respect: +167
24 hours till the HHD exam how to prepare
« on: November 18, 2020, 12:54:53 am »
+10
ok so yes i am aware I am posting this with a bit more than 24 hours to go but lets roll with it
Wednesday (the day before):
Woo hoo were in the final stretch so how should plan your revision
If you plan to complete a timed practice exam, make sure you finish it by 5:15 pm (i.e. start a timed exam at 3:00 pm) the reason being at this point doing practice exams won't be of use to you.
Now how to approach today, I would recommend starting the day going through past questions you have gotten wrong hopefully you have kept a logbook (mistakes journal) but if you haven't just whip out any exams you have done and look at the questions you did not score full marks.
And you guessed it do them again, especially for the higher mark questions were the structure of your response is imperative, it is important to be familiar with how examiners want you to structure your response.
For examples questions poorly answered in the 2019 exam
- Comprehensive definitions of the prerequisites of help
- Linking a prerequisite to how it can improve health individually, nationally and globally  (questions that generally requires linkages between study design points)
- The collaborative effort of the SDGs (i.e how they all connect to SDG 3)
*all = SDG 1,2,4,5,6 and 13
- Clear comparisons between low/middle/high-income countries
After taking some time to review your past mistakes spend your time
- Completing more practise questions, as you see fit (maybe focussing on the extended response questions-I made some practise questions in a previous post check it out!)
- Reading the examiner report and analyse common trend (I made a 2019 examiner report breakdown- check it out!)
- Review important definitions (mainly U3 AOS 1- be confident will both your ability to recall the definition + being able to apply it in particular questions)
- Have an early night, it may be a late exam but get into a good rhythm
Thursday (before the exam):
- Try not to stress lol
- Light revision ONLY don't force yourself into a practice exam it will just psyche you out
- Apply your knowledge
Spoiler
-how does your breakfast adhere to the ADGs- consider how Nutrition Australia aims to promote healthy eating
-watch the news, in particular, explore how low-income countries are handing the COVID-19 pandemic how does the difference between low and high-income countries contribute to these differences. Why is USA experiencing the most daily new infections, does this demonstrate the limitations of the HDI
- By 12:00-2:00 its time to close the book and set yourself in exam mode- you've done the most you can remember an exam tests your knowledge of the content at a particular moment- it is critical you're feeling for the best
Thursday (3:00-5:15pm):
EXAM TIPS- DURING THE EXAM
Reading time:
READ THE EXAM i can't stress this enough don't just look at the wall
Use this time to read the sources in the 8-10 marker, think what are these sources trying to say and how can I apply them to answer the question. Evaluate the question (how do you find it?- once writing time starts to write down a quick plan on the side so you don't lose track of your thoughts.
Pay attention to the marking of questions- note down which questions reach 50 marks. Now you know if you do the exam in order where you should be at by 4:15pm!
Writing time:
Start the exam from the beginning hopefully the first few are accessible- make sure you answer the questions make the appropriate links write it out
Advice for the 10 marker:
Spoiler
Break down the question usually, there are three things they are asking (in the 2019 exam it was; key features of SDG 3 + HIV/AIDS, promotion of health and wellbeing and the achievement of another SDG.
Highlight information in the sources that can be used to answer the question/ support your stance.
Begin your response with an introductory sentence to show the direction of your response
Address the first part of the question (including appropriate terminology, link, evidence from the source and links of how the source demonstrates your point)
Repeat for the other parts of the questions- if necessary describe how the different parts of the questions are linked
Conclude by summing up ur main ideas- go to re-read the question and try to summarise your answer in a sentence
Spend no more than 10-15 minutes for the 10 markers (but if you speed through the rest of the question you may allow yourself of the time)
Take a deep breath and move on
You should have answered 50 marks by 4:15 pm- make sure you are working at the right pace
Keep the momentum and continue answering questions by highlights case studies, and the keywords of the questions (command terms, topics it is addressing, limiting factors, what links the questions is asking you to show)
And by 5:15pm HHD will be over (some of you may be finished with exams- CONGRATS)
And to the rest of you well done for finishing HHD i hope my very few contributions to the forums have helped at least one of you.
Good luck to you all, I know you are all gonna smash it
All the best,
T&S
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 11:53:38 am by tiredandstressed »
VCE '17-'18
2017: Biology, Psychology
2018: English, HHD, Chemistry, Methods
2019-22: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Honours) @ UoM
My guides:
A quick guide to language and argument analysis
HHD sample questions
HHD 2019 Comprehensive examiner report analysis

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
Re: 24 hours till the HHD exam how to prepare
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 09:45:31 am »
+6
This is a really helpful and informative guide, T&S! Thank you so much for your continual support with HHD :)
2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash

blueycan

• MOTM: AUG 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 10:28:08 am »
+4
Thank you for this T&S !!!

tiredandstressed

• MOTM: DEC 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • pretty without the r (he/him)
  • Respect: +167
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 02:56:20 pm »
+4
This is a really helpful and informative guide, T&S! Thank you so much for your continual support with HHD :)

Thank you for this T&S !!!

You're both welcome!! Best of luck
P.S the 8-10 marker will likely be on a Unit 3 topic [suspect either AOS 1- comparing health status from different groups or AOS 2- old vs new (biomedical + social) models of health]
VCE '17-'18
2017: Biology, Psychology
2018: English, HHD, Chemistry, Methods
2019-22: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Honours) @ UoM
My guides:
A quick guide to language and argument analysis
HHD sample questions
HHD 2019 Comprehensive examiner report analysis