Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:20:59 pm

Author Topic: insanipi's short little guide to motivation.  (Read 10028 times)  Share 

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
insanipi's short little guide to motivation.
« on: September 01, 2016, 10:41:43 pm »
+36
So, it’s the start of September, you’re feeling drained and weary from the past 9 months. However, you have to keep pushing! From my own experience from my teachers, they’ve had to give so many classes pep talks, in the past few weeks. You tell me that’s a cool story and are probably starting to question my motives here, now. To address the so what… people tend to slack off at this time of year. And you know why? It’s due to the lack of or decreasing amount of MOTIVATION you have.

“But insanipi, why do you care about motivation?”
I care because it’s important to notice when you start having a ‘slump’ and have little will to do anything, whether it be schoolwork, or the stuff (i.e. reading) that you enjoy doing, and I have some pointers that may just help you find some of that motivation that you thought was gone, a long time ago.

1.Have realistic goals.
Okay, this is basically self-explanatory and everyone says this. However, it is really important that you set yourself an achievable goal, in an achievable timeframe. Don’t make a goal such as trying to become the richest rugby player in Australia, when you know that you can’t even kick the ball properly; as this is quite clearly unachievable, unless given time span of 5 or 10 years to complete this.

2. Be focused.
In this day and age, there are many distractions, especially Facebook, YouTube, Instagram and Snapchat. The best way to avoid these distractions is to turn off all the tech *gasps*. However, this is most likely not possible, so I’d recommend trying to set aside a couple of hours a day, where you don’t access these kinds of websites and apps. Personally, I use StayFocusd on Chrome, set to ‘nuclear mode’, where I cannot access any websites that aren’t on my allowed list (such as my school email/file server and Encyclopaedia Britannica), so I know if I use my laptop, I won’t be distracted by anything that isn’t relevant to what I need to use. I also use Forest on my phone, which you grow virtual trees in exchange for staying off your phone/not opening certain apps.

3.Take Breaks.
Doing only one thing over and over and over again only leads to two things: burnout and demotivation. In VCE, this is possibly one of the last things that you want to happen to you. However, there is one sure-fire way of stopping the burnout/demotivation is to take breaks. For example, you could use a 30 minute break for every hour and a half of activity you do, and use that time to do a Maccas run (or a make a salad or jog around the block… you know, stay healthy; or perhaps maybe having a laugh at this!) or even just jam to music (some may say that it is a lifesaver sometimes, I tend to agree. I definitely recommend Deep Focus and Music for Concentration, if you listen to music while doing those tasks, however!). This helps relieve the stress by taking regular breaks and after your break, you regain concentration and focus, which in turn, increases your motivation!

4. How do I stay disciplined? -A question from studybuddy7777
I'm pretty disciplined with all this myself (because I ain't killing virtual trees and nuclear mode doesn't deactivate until the amount of time I inputted is up)...
However I would suggest if you have trouble with this, have a friend/parent/teacher that helps you keep accountable with this, or write a huge poster on your wall with your aims, or even put little reminders on your phone/calendars (such as Remember the Milk) to keep you going! :)

And remember this one important thing: your health is always important.

(Mods: Move if this is in totally the wrong spot. :) )
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 09:25:13 pm by insanipi »
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Elizawei

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +42
Re: insanipi's short little guide to motivation.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 10:43:24 pm »
+3
Love it! <3

ATAR: 99.70
2017-2019: Bachelor of Biomedicine
2020-2023: Melbourne MD

Founder of Folding Our Futures
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Offering  Chemistry/Bio 3/4 tutoring for 2019! [raw 49, 47] PM me if interested :)

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 05:26:33 pm »
This is great!! Now the only trouble is actually trying to stick to this lol. Do you have any ways to discipline one to do the things above you have stated?

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 05:34:06 pm »
+2
Love it! <3

Thanks Elizawei <3

This is great!! Now the only trouble is actually trying to stick to this lol. Do you have any ways to discipline one to do the things above you have stated?
Thanks!! :)
I'm pretty disciplined with all this myself (because I ain't killing virtual trees and nuclear mode doesn't deactivate until the amount of time I inputted is up)...
However I would suggest if you have trouble with this, have a friend/parent/teacher that helps you keep accountable with this, or write a huge poster on your wall with your aims, or even put little reminders on your phone/calendars (such as Remember the Milk) to keep you going! :)

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 08:02:46 pm »
Thanks Elizawei <3
Thanks!! :)
Thanks I shall give this a go indeed!!

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 08:06:47 pm »
+1
Thanks I shall give this a go indeed!!
Glad I could be of help! (I've chucked what I said up on the main post for future reference :) )
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 09:08:53 pm by insanipi »

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 07:41:34 am »
Glad I could be of help! (I've chucked what I said up on the main post for future reference :) )

Haha ive got my own little section up there :)

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 10:42:24 pm »
+4
Bumping this because it's less than a month until exams! ;)

We can do this! :)

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2016, 04:47:12 pm »
Bumping this because it's less than a month until exams! ;)

We can do this! :)

Can we next have "insanipi's short little guide to claiming the dole at centrelink" because thats where im headed :(