Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 19, 2024, 04:17:21 pm

Author Topic: JMSS YEAR 10 ENTRANCE EXAM 2019 DISCUSSION  (Read 377837 times)  Share 

shazza804

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: JMSS YEAR 10 ENTRANCE EXAM 2019 DISCUSSION
« Reply #975 on: January 01, 2019, 02:58:20 pm »
hey, i was just wondering, what did u mean when u were explaining the first essay?
could u give me some examples?
like do u need ur own general knowledge?

Studyameteur

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #976 on: January 11, 2019, 05:33:51 pm »
Does anyone know the essay prompts they had for last year? Also, how far back was the science topic talking about in relation to the recent science news? :)

Why did you leave mhs? Was it better tham jmss?

Hey, do you by any chance remember the structure of how you wrote your passage and a brief understanding of how well you did?

Mod Edit: Welcome to the forums! Try not to post multiple times in a row - Instead, edit your initial post using the 'Modify' button to the top right of the post ;D
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 07:17:51 pm by jamonwindeyer »

daniel_seav

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #977 on: January 24, 2019, 09:35:24 pm »
Hey i'm trying out for jmss this year. I really need help. I'm not the strongest in science and i also failed to gain entry into Nossal which i really tried my best. After finding out i failed to gain entry into nossal, i'm finding it difficult to find motivation to study for this exam. Also, i really need help on writing the essays. How do you structure the practical report and how do you write a good discussion, hypothesis and etc? It is much appreciated if someone could help me out.

shazza804

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #978 on: January 30, 2019, 03:23:53 pm »
I actually found the maths and numeric very easy compared to what I learnt. You also need speed and you had to be bold to skip the hardest questions/time consuming.  8) The science reasoning (due to intense graphs and table processing) was actually harder than I expected but I finished it on time, so thats a bonus :P. I had my doubts on the second writing piece as I had no idea what VOC and NOx were but when i researched it on-line, i could have included CFC (I knew alot about CFC) :-\.
I'm still doubtful about the first writing as i did do the whole prac report + discussion. I wonder what other people did and what was the actual aim of the written expression. I'm looking foward to what people say in this discussion
Heeyy, im going for the jmss exam this year(2019) and i was realllllyyyyy hoping you could answer some of my questions, i was just wondering, how much general knowledge you need for this test, and like what you need to know, could you give me some topics i could learn, do you need to know the periodic table, body parts etc? and could you go more in depth on what BOTH the essays wer about plz? thankssssss

turtlesforeveryone

• Trendsetter
  • Class of 2021
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #979 on: January 30, 2019, 04:33:50 pm »
Hello! For people interested in trying for JMSS from 2019-2020, we have a discord server dedicated to this. I'm not sure if it is against forum rules by posting here, so please pm me for the link. We have a large group of previous JMSS candidates and current JMSS students that will be willing to assist you :)

yshojloej

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #980 on: February 02, 2019, 02:27:44 pm »
Do you need calculators for the test

G_00123

• Adventurer
« Reply #981 on: February 02, 2019, 09:39:53 pm »
Do you need calculators for the test
No

Sam Kiriella

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #982 on: February 06, 2019, 04:55:45 pm »
Hey guys, I know that I have created this forum really early (I anticipate a lot. XD), but I just felt like doing it now. Anyway, welcome to the 'JMSS Year 10 Entrance Exam 2019 Discussion'! I decided to create this to help you guys prepare for your exam, which should be in early June, as I went for it this year (unfortunately I didn't get in, but I was very close). I suggest you guys preparing for the exam maybe now. Don't be like me because I didn't study for it until early May... (I didn't think I would go for it, so... Hehehe....) In case you guys are curious, the exam format goes like this:

Science Reasoning: 30 questions / 30 minutes- Apply your scientific knowledge and logic to the test. It's like verbal reasoning, but it obviously has got to do with science. It's like the ICAS test.

Numerical Reasoning: 60 questions / 30 minutes- For those who went for the selective high school entrance exam this year, it's similar to that. It has maths problems, and there are problems that require logic. 

Mathematics: 60 questions / 30 minutes- It's also very similar to the selective high school entry exam. (It's actually easier than in the other exam as you're able to work out answers quickly).

Essay 1: 5 minutes reading / 25 minutes writing- It's a science prac, but for this year, you only need to write a discussion by answering the questions. Be sure to draw the diagram, although it doesn't tell you to do that. You also need to know dependent, independent and control variables as one of the questions will ask you to mention them (I got mixed up between dependent and independent).

Essay 2: 5 minutes reading / 25 minutes writing- You're given some info to write in your essay. Try including them as many given info as possible. I think you can apply your knowledge to your essay because I did that. Usually, the topic is based on biology. For example, this year we wrote about Port Phillip Bay's water quality (I don't think I did well on it. I forgot to email JMSS for my report, so I don't know). There were facts about Port Phillip Bay, water qualities of some Victorian beaches, how Port Phillip Bay's water contamination affects other rivers / lakes / beaches etc., pollutions in Port Phillip Bay, etc...

Please feel free to ask me (and other experienced exam candidates as they will probably jump to this forum) any questions. I hope that I will be on this forum often, but I cannot guarantee that I will. I do apologise if I don't answer your questions on time. Anyway, happy discussion! :D

Hey I’m just wondering if you have any online PDFs of any exam revision for Jmss if u do can u please send a email to [email protected]

Rohan1176

• Trailblazer
« Reply #983 on: February 11, 2019, 08:53:51 pm »
Nah it wasn't the distance, it was the fact that there was 15 from the same school ...

Admission Officer : okay let me count how many students from this school, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ( switch hands ) 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ( looks at foot with lace up shoe on and realising he had no free hand to undo the shoe lace ) stuff this I think I will just exclude all these students ...
uMM...i want to ask something on this 'topic' but i dont know how ti

Rohan1176

• Trailblazer
« Reply #984 on: February 12, 2019, 08:26:03 pm »
I use the the Pearson Science Books and I want to know if I need to read science books Yr7-9 or Yr7-10.
Thanks

aspiringantelope

« Reply #985 on: February 12, 2019, 10:05:41 pm »
I use the the Pearson Science Books and I want to know if I need to read science books Yr7-9 or Yr7-10.
Thanks
I'm pretty sure that the Science Reasoning will just be based upon a range of science topics, just like the ICAS Science, even though I have not done the test before. It should not be too difficult though.

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #986 on: February 13, 2019, 03:29:12 pm »
Heeyy, im going for the jmss exam this year(2019) and i was realllllyyyyy hoping you could answer some of my questions, i was just wondering, how much general knowledge you need for this test, and like what you need to know, could you give me some topics i could learn, do you need to know the periodic table, body parts etc? and could you go more in depth on what BOTH the essays wer about plz? thankssssss

Hello there! I did the JMSS entrance tests 2 years ago, and was lucky enough to attend the interview after that. I actually didn’t study at all for this exam and I regret not taking a look at some practice exams or even just knowing there would be a science reasoning test and the writing tests would be based on science (yes - believe me, I didn’t know this) - I thought my experience from the select entry exam I did the previous year would suffice. Needless to say, I was able to get through. Also, you shouldn’t get discouraged if you didn’t do as well as you expected in the selective entry exams, as the type of questions in the JMSS exam was different.

You don’t need much general knowledge, but I can tell you the obvious - they are looking for students who excel in the science area. I recommend you go through some general science textbooks, as the questions are from all science areas. Familiarise yourself with units, conversions and experimental design/research methods too. From what I remember, the questions in the science reasoning exam were mostly based on year 9-10 science knowledge. You should be fine as long as you ensure you know science basics as well as year 9-10 content well.

For the essays, the year I did it, there was one based on an article and the other was a PRAC report. Ensure you know what’s going on at the moment in the world that is science-based, as it does help with the article-based essay. I recommend reading some articles online or just browsing science websites if you aren’t really confident about this section. When I did it, it was based on pollution and issues surrounding (Port Phillip? I can’t remember) Bay. You were expected to use evidence from the article given to construct an answer to a the question given in the form of an essay.

The other writing piece was a prac report. If you want practice in this area, then I suggest looking up some experiments and practise writing prac reports on them. Familiarise yourself with the basic structure of a prac report - especially the discussion section. When I did it, the experiment was a physics one. Physics is the science I absolutely dislike - so be prepared to be given an experiment based on any science.

I do recommend going over the periodic table. Obviously they aren’t going to expect you to have memorised relative atomic masses of elements. Just ensure you have enough basic knowledge of the periodic table to be able to tackle chemistry questions. Know which elements (out of the most common ones, like carbon, hydrogen, aluminium etc) are noble gases, metals, non-metals, etc. I definitely don’t remember any question about body parts specifically.

Good luck for the exam!  ;D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 03:32:15 pm by whys »
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

1234H123N12

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #987 on: February 17, 2019, 08:28:11 pm »
Are there any introvert learners at JMSS? And is it mostly group work and discussions?

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #988 on: February 17, 2019, 08:35:20 pm »
Are there any introvert learners at JMSS? And is it mostly group work and discussions?

Do you mean the interviews? If so, they largely focus on your teamwork skills and ability to to give share your input while allowing others to share theirs and integrate your ideas. It's important to speak up and contribute to team discussions about the problem-solving stuff. All of them were group work except for two. One was an individual problem. I remember we got 10 minutes to solve a question (not math-based or anything, just general stuff). The other part was the 1 on 1 interview. Other than that, every other activity is in groups. At the start you do an icebreaker, so you'll hopefully feel more confident as you go. They're mainly looking for leadership qualities, teamwork and your thoughts/problem-solving ability.
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

Umar but with O

• Trailblazer
« Reply #989 on: February 22, 2019, 12:53:21 pm »
Hi, would there be anything different this year than in 2017?

[e.g. Like they changed the writing test in the other selective entry schools from
15 min for both to 40 min either (i.e, Creative and the other one.)].