Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:55:07 pm

Author Topic: Literature: Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions  (Read 10008 times)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Literature: Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions
« on: October 09, 2018, 03:23:13 pm »

This thread is for all exam-related discussion. Was it easy? Was it hard? What did you get for each question? Feel free to post any and all of your thoughts below.

If you don't have an ATAR Notes account yet, no stress - you can register for free here!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 02:48:35 pm by Joseph41 »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

crawlingvines

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
Re: Literature: Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 02:36:36 pm »
+1
What did everyone think of the prompt for cat on a hot tin roof

It was alright. A society-based prompt was what I think everyone had been predicting for this year. I feel like I may have waffled on to the point of incoherence though :/

The main thing I'm happy about is that it wasn't restricted to a feminist lens which was my biggest fear going into the exam!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 02:39:08 pm by crawlingvines »

CainBFG

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 03:14:46 pm »

I had literally just written a practice essay on societal pressures on Friday that my teacher thought was great where I talked about the socio-cultural demands, so I just attempted to regurgitate it, whilst sounding coherent.

Question: does spelling has a big impact? because there was this one word that I know spelt incorrectly.

CainBFG

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 03:16:22 pm »
So what did people think of passage analysis for The Leopard by Lampedusa? What were people's approaches?  :)

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +365
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 03:17:25 pm »
+1
Question: does spelling has a big impact? because there was this one word that I know spelt incorrectly.

No, minor spelling errors will cause no great detriment :)
BA (Linguistics) I University of Melbourne
Tips and Tricks for VCE English [50]

Essay Marking Services in 2021 for VCE English + Essays for Sale

hums_student

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +520
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 03:29:00 pm »
Thought it was pretty decent. Much better than the prompt for 2017 lol.
What did everyone focus on for that prompt? I talked about Mae+Gooper; Brick+Skipper; and Big Daddy. Looking back now maybe I should've mentioned Maggie and Big Mama too, to fit into the 'family' prompt but I didn't want the assessors to think I was writing from a feminist perspective.

Did anyone do Gogol?
2019-21: Bachelor of Arts (Politics & Int'l Relations / Economics)

crawlingvines

• Trailblazer
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 03:39:10 pm »
What did everyone focus on for that prompt? I talked about Mae+Gooper; Brick+Skipper; and Big Daddy. Looking back now maybe I should've mentioned Maggie and Big Mama too, to fit into the 'family' prompt but I didn't want the assessors to think I was writing from a feminist perspective.

Did anyone do Gogol?

I spoke about Brick and Maggie, Brick and Skipper, Big Mama and Big Daddy. Feel like I focused a bit too much on Brick but he's my favourite character to write about for Cat so hopefully the quality of my analysis makes up for it. If it doesn't then I'll see you all in literary purgatory ;D

Just curious, is everything outside the outline on the page ignored? I was about to write the section and prompt number for an essay outside of the border but opted against it and wrote it on the first line given. It makes the page look so ugly though haha

hums_student

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +520
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 04:01:12 pm »
I spoke about Brick and Maggie, Brick and Skipper, Big Mama and Big Daddy. Feel like I focused a bit too much on Brick but he's my favourite character to write about for Cat so hopefully the quality of my analysis makes up for it. If it doesn't then I'll see you all in literary purgatory ;D

Just curious, is everything outside the outline on the page ignored? I was about to write the section and prompt number for an essay outside of the border but opted against it and wrote it on the first line given. It makes the page look so ugly though haha
I'm wondering about that too! I wrote the section and prompt number on the first line of every page, not sure if that's overkill lol, but I wasn't taking any chances.

Also were you supposed to start on a new page for section B because I literally drew a line through the page and then started Section B on the same page as my conclusion for Section A.

How many pages did everyone write? I wrote 15 (6.5 for section A, 8.5 for section B), not sure if that's a bit too excessive or not.
2019-21: Bachelor of Arts (Politics & Int'l Relations / Economics)

SemiAdapted

• Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 04:05:22 pm »
Did anyone do The Passion for section B? Those were nasty passages...

maeve1234

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 04:43:21 pm »
what did people think of the north and south topic??

crawlingvines

• Trailblazer
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 05:00:12 pm »
I wrote 12 and I thought that was a lot. How on earth do you write 15 pages in two hours

I didn't even have time to count — all I know is that I had to ask for a second writing booklet and wrote less for section B than A

KyleJack2412

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2018, 05:43:38 pm »

Did anyone do Gogol?

I talked about Brick and Skipper in the first paragraph, Big Daddy and Big Mamma and their toxic relationship in the second, and how Maggie is blamed for not satisfying her husband when its not really her fault. Overall, I enjoyed this years prompt

kez1234

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2018, 06:47:23 pm »
Are there many people who did either 'Rhinoceros' for part A or 'Ariel' for part B? Personally, I thought the prompt for 'Rhinoceros' was great. The poems for 'Ariel' were also a good combination.
2019-2021- Bachelor of Arts at Monash University.

KatherineGale

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +92
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2018, 07:23:32 pm »
Hi everyone :)

Anyone do Heart of Darkness or Only the Animals? What did you think of the prompt and passages?

colline

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ♡ 2 Timothy 1:7 ♡
  • Respect: +512
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2018, 08:04:08 pm »

Did anyone do Gogol?

For section A I talked about Brick and Skipper, Big Daddy + Big Mama, Mae's five children, and Reverend Tooker. I was seriously grasping at straws with the reverend, hopefully the assessors don't mind.

Did anyone do Browning's poems? I was pleasantly surprised by them. Toccata AND Campagna together was unexpected, it made analysis so much easier. Pretty much your classic Browning quotes are all in there. My Last Duchess threw me off though.

Overall, surprised that VCAA was so nice to us this year. I was expecting curveballs right and left.

VCE: Literature [50] Methods [50] Further [48] Chemistry [40] Biology [33]
2022: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Economics) @ ANU