Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:02:17 am

Author Topic: 2019 HSC Mod C question  (Read 2914 times)

spnmox

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
2019 HSC Mod C question
« on: September 30, 2020, 09:52:10 am »
I'm pretty bad at coming up with ideas on the spot. What are some examples of what people wrote for the 2019 HSC Module C question? For context, it was the one about how books can transform you.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: 2019 HSC Mod C question
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2020, 05:33:36 pm »
+2
I'm pretty bad at coming up with ideas on the spot. What are some examples of what people wrote for the 2019 HSC Module C question? For context, it was the one about how books can transform you.

Hey, spnmox!

I find that higher performing responses in English Advanced for Module C explore the craft of writing through creative, discursive, persuasive and/or informative writing. This is because you engage with the module and respond to it in a more meta manner. You could prepare to discuss anything that reflects your views on the craft of writing in our contemporary world. Some examples could be a historical short story set during the Nazi book burnings to represent the deliberate destruction of language, a discursive piece on the impact of speculative fiction in different societies, and a persuasive that defends film adaptations (good and bad) in enabling us to better appreciate the original books. These are just some ideas but the bottom line is that it is important that you establish for yourself what it is you want to achieve in that 40 minutes of the exam for your Module C response to demonstrate that you have deeply thought about, and are able to manipulate, writing to express your ideas and leave an impact on the marker. Having something to go in with (a clear topic with strong research/evidence, techniques that you plan to use which are drawn from your prescribed text/s, one-liners which are flexible and adaptable to different stimuli etc.) will give you to some material to work with and connect to the stimulus effectively!

You should also check out how the 2019 cohort went based on the feedback NESA provided at this link here! This can ensure you learn from what they did well and know what to keep in mind when approaching your paper :) Hope this helps but feel free to follow up with more questions!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

bandit972

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 11:54:00 am »
Hey, spnmox!

I find that higher performing responses in English Advanced for Module C explore the craft of writing through creative, discursive, persuasive and/or informative writing. This is because you engage with the module and respond to it in a more meta manner. You could prepare to discuss anything that reflects your views on the craft of writing in our contemporary world. Some examples could be a historical short story set during the Nazi book burnings to represent the deliberate destruction of language, a discursive piece on the impact of speculative fiction in different societies, and a persuasive that defends film adaptations (good and bad) in enabling us to better appreciate the original books. These are just some ideas but the bottom line is that it is important that you establish for yourself what it is you want to achieve in that 40 minutes of the exam for your Module C response to demonstrate that you have deeply thought about, and are able to manipulate, writing to express your ideas and leave an impact on the marker. Having something to go in with (a clear topic with strong research/evidence, techniques that you plan to use which are drawn from your prescribed text/s, one-liners which are flexible and adaptable to different stimuli etc.) will give you to some material to work with and connect to the stimulus effectively!

You should also check out how the 2019 cohort went based on the feedback NESA provided at this link here! This can ensure you learn from what they did well and know what to keep in mind when approaching your paper :) Hope this helps but feel free to follow up with more questions!

Angelina  ;D

Hi Angelina,

I thought that for mod c they tried to stop memorised responses, which I am not much of a fan of ahah but anyway, would you recommend preparing heaps of different responses to accommodate for the potential for heaps of different questions?

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2020, 02:03:54 pm »
Hi Angelina,

I thought that for mod c they tried to stop memorised responses, which I am not much of a fan of ahah but anyway, would you recommend preparing heaps of different responses to accommodate for the potential for heaps of different questions?

Hey, bandit972!

They don't want you rote learning anything for English anymore and want you to respond to stimuli on the spot. That doesn't mean you can't prepare ideas and material to potentially use! I mentioned above that it might be good to have some research/evidence on hand if you plan to do discursive, persuasive or informative writing and that you might want to have some techniques on hand which relate to the Module C prescribed texts you've studied this year so you can have things to apply in the exam to your responses  :D

You could also memorise, if you wish, some one-liners that you might use to act as an outline/structure for your response in the exam. This could be super generic like this; "He stood in the heat of the aftermath. All he could wonder was how and why." You can use these to adapt to the question and give yourself some direction to work in no matter what kind of question you get. In short, I definitely discourage memorising full responses but if you have a few things up your sleeve, it'll make life a lot easier! Hope that clarifies it a bit better  :)

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music