Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 04:01:30 pm

Author Topic: Question about Masters program for Engineering  (Read 2797 times)  Share 

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +96
Question about Masters program for Engineering
« on: March 20, 2014, 12:50:19 pm »
Hi guys I've just got a couple of questions that I need clearing up. For the masters program for engineering, there's a 65% weighted average over level 2 and 3 subjects. Do failed subjects count towards this average, and also, are Breadth (level 2 and 3) counted as well? And also, for the masters program itself, does getting >65% average guarantee a CSP place from 2014 onwards? What happens if one does not attain a 65% average or above?

I tried asking these at the Engineering student centre but was met with the general 'stop asking questions go away' kind of attitude..

Thanks in advance
Science, Melbourne University.

hobbitle

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +110
Re: Question about Masters program for Engineering
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 07:31:42 pm »
I tried asking these at the Engineering student centre but was met with the general 'stop asking questions go away' kind of attitude..

Did you REALLY ask them? I've always found the Engineering Student Centre really helpful and I'm surprised at this comment.

If you've come from a UoM undergraduate and meet the prerequisites, you are automatically offered a CSP.
If you've come from an undergrad from a different uni, but still meet the prerequisites, you'll probably still get a CSP but it's not guaranteed.

I always thought that failed subjects and breadth do count towards your average but definitely don't take that as gospel.  Someone else here will probably be able to answer more definitely.
2008 - 2010 | Bachelor of Production @ Victorian College of the Arts
2013 - 2015 | Bachelor of Science @ UoM (Bioengineering Systems)
2016 - 2017 | Master of Engineering (Biomedical) @ UoM

ldee

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 08:15:59 pm »
I'm almost 100% certain that breadth and fails do count toward the average. Spoke to the student centre last year and that's what they told me. However, my memory might be failing me so probably best to go back down to the student centre, maybe try talking to somebody else?

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +96
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 03:34:33 pm »
Thanks guys appreciate the replies. Anyone know what happens if you don't get the 65% average and graduate? Can you still get into the masters?
Science, Melbourne University.

hobbitle

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
Question about Masters program for Engineering
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 03:44:34 pm »
Thanks guys appreciate the replies. Anyone know what happens if you don't get the 65% average and graduate? Can you still get into the masters?

No you can't. It's a strict prerequisite.

Greatness

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +103
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 07:15:28 pm »
No you can't. It's a strict prerequisite.
I thought you could, you just might get offered a FFP. You need a 65% average to get a CSP position.

hobbitle

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 07:22:15 pm »
+1
^ that's correct, my bad. FFP is so far from my realms of possibility that I always forget that they exist.

Hancock

• SUPER ENGINEERING MAN
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +270
  • School: Ringwood Secondary College
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 09:21:57 pm »
One of the pitfalls of the MM Engineering pathway. They're raising the graduating GPA by limited the last 2 years to students with 65+ averages. BTW, you can graduate with a Bachelor of Science (in ?????? Systems), but you won't be able to continue onto the Masters with a < 65 average as fair as I know. Your next best bet, if you're stuck in this position, is to apply for other undergraduate degrees and hope for a decent amount (2 years) credit transfer.
Thinking of doing Engineering? - Engineering FAQs

2012 - 2014: B.Sc. - Mechanical Systems - The University of Melbourne
2014 - 2014: Cross-Institutional Study - Aero/Mech Engineering - Monash University
2015 - 2016: M.Eng (Mechanical with Business) - The University of Melbourne
2015 - Sem1: Exchange Semester - ETH Zurich

sluu001

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +28
  • School: University of Melbourne
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 09:25:23 pm »
Most undergrad eng degrees wont accept credits for a melb b.sci. The only one that i know that does is deakin's m.engineering. My mate went through this a yr back, and now has to travel to geelong for classes.

Hancock

• SUPER ENGINEERING MAN
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 01:12:32 am »
Strange, because I was talking to my lecturer from Monash, who was persuading me to transfer, that a BSc (3 year) at UoM will at least get 2 years of B.Eng credit. Considering it's the same engineering subjects that are being taught, I highly doubt that your claim is legit.

2014 - 2014: Cross-Institutional Study - Aero/Mech Engineering - Monash University

hobbitle

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 09:30:57 am »

Strange, because I was talking to my lecturer from Monash, who was persuading me to transfer, that a BSc (3 year) at UoM will at least get 2 years of B.Eng credit.

Why was he persuading you to transfer? Are you considering it instead of doing the UoM masters?

Mafioso

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2014, 11:53:19 am »
I heard that the 2 year Melbourne engineering masters program is research based or something whereas the Monash undergrad engineering is more comprehensive because it takes 4 years.
Any one else hear something like that?
Currently tutoring Business Management [50].  Spots open for 2015

hobbitle

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2014, 01:02:39 pm »
^ lol wat.

UoM model : 3 yr undergrad with an eng major + 2 yr masters by coursework

Monash : 4yr undergrad

Result of both: accreditation

Arguably UoM is more theory based and Monash/RMIT more 'hands on' but the Masters is still by coursework.

Hancock

• SUPER ENGINEERING MAN
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2014, 02:38:35 pm »
Why was he persuading you to transfer? Are you considering it instead of doing the UoM masters?

Told him about my research stuff over summer and my average and he was wondering why I didn't take Aerospace from Year 1. Then talked about how I could finish off the last 2 years of Aerospace at Monash instead of 2 years of Mech (Masters) at UoM so I could have the same accreditation. Na not really considering it, he even said not to do Aerospace in Aus if you want a job and had a rant for 10 minutes about how there are so little jobs in Australia for Aerospace graduates in a 3rd year Aero class. Was funny for me because I'm Mech!

Not really considering it, but I'm tossing up between UoM Mech, UoM Law and US Laws schools. On one hand, I'm good at Mech and it's something I really enjoy. But I always had this idea of being a lawyer. So I don't know, we'll see.

I heard that the 2 year Melbourne engineering masters program is research based or something whereas the Monash undergrad engineering is more comprehensive because it takes 4 years.
Any one else hear something like that?

Lel, Melbourne Engineering Masters is by coursework. So you have 5 years of engineering study, where the only research component is at the end in your final year project, like all engineering degrees. So, no that's not correct at all!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 02:50:44 pm by Hancock »

sluu001

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +28
  • School: University of Melbourne
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2014, 02:35:46 pm »
Strange, because I was talking to my lecturer from Monash, who was persuading me to transfer, that a BSc (3 year) at UoM will at least get 2 years of B.Eng credit. Considering it's the same engineering subjects that are being taught, I highly doubt that your claim is legit.

Eh, thats interesting. Probably means marks have a lot to do with credit standings then. He wasnt the greatest b.sci student (did not have the average to get into melb's m.eng).