Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 08:20:47 pm

Author Topic: If my teacher teaches me wrong and then I do what they told me what should I do  (Read 1246 times)

year12isarip

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
had a further math sac. Our teachers gave us a practice sac with incorrect solutions and specifically told us to use the practice sacs as revision. Am I entitled to ask for marks back if I’ve used an incorrect method the incorrect practice solution said

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Sometimes you can get marks back from that so I'd try (as long as you do it politely)

I'd probably open the dialogue by asking about why that method doesn't work; & then if it's a case where that method wouldn't work for either question ask about whether people who used it will get their marks back.

Edit: fixed typo
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 11:24:11 am by Bri MT »

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Sucks that this has occurred as it really is the teacher's responsibility to check materials that are given but obviously corners are cut especially from teachers stuck in their ways.

Approach the teacher with a set of the solutions from the practice SAC (maybe highlight the method you've used) and show how you've used the exact same thing to arrive at the answer in the actual SAC. Teachers are not actually obliged to give you the marks so you're entitled to ask but not entitled to automatically receive the marks as on technicality you should have known it was incorrect due to knowledge and understanding before the SAC/revision process. But... I feel (as above has stated) you need to politely address this with the teacher rather than say 'why'd you mark me down, it's on the practice sac?!?!?!?!!'

The next level you'd do if it isn't resolved is take it higher but I would strongly recommend trying to resolve the issue at the class level first before doing this. This should not have happened in the first place, especially for SAC revision.
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328

Just get a good mark, that's all
This isn’t very helpful.
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50