Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 12:36:02 am

Author Topic: (UOM) Undergraduate requirement before gauranteed Doctor of Optometry  (Read 2018 times)  Share 

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
Firstly, if I have posted this in the wrong section please move this post. I wasnt quite sure where this would fit in.

According to the UOM future students page getting a 98 or above atar and a WAM of 75% in an undergraduate will result in a gauranteed spot for Doctor of Optometry.

This is the direct quote
'
Applicants who achieve an ATAR (or notional ATAR) of 98.00 or above in Year 12 and commence and complete an undergraduate course at the University of Melbourne with a weighted average mark of 75% are guaranteed a Commonwealth supported place'

My first question is - Does under graduate HAVE to be biomedicine or can it be commerce too?

Basically my plan is to aim for 98, do commerce first and then get direct entry to doctor of optometry. The two reasons for this are firstly, after doing commerce I can immediately begin working and secondly, if later down the track I feel doctor of optometry isn't for me I can easily switch into an alternative course such as law.

My second question is - is this a wise choice? Will I be significantly disadvantaged if I did commerce before doing a science based course such as Doctor of Medicine?

2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: (UOM) Undergraduate requirement before gauranteed Doctor of Optometry
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 08:08:15 pm »
+3
"complete an undergraduate course at the University of Melbourne" nothing says it needs to be a specific course

For optometry there are also prerequisities which must be passed on the first go. The prereqs are:

"three subjects at level 2 or level 3 (or equivalent) from one or more relevant biological science disciplines with subjects to have been completed within 10 years of commencing the Doctor of Optometry"

for the level2/3 subjects you will also need level 1 subjects as prerequsities to complete the level 2 and 3 subjects so just make sure you are able to fit them in as breadth if you end up doing a non science/biomed undergrad.

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 08:10:53 am »
Related question - how difficult is a 75% WAM to achieve
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 12:21:37 pm »
+2
Related question - how difficult is a 75% WAM to achieve
difficulty will depend on the student abd I can't say more than that but it iis definitely achievable if motivated