Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 01:14:29 am

Author Topic: .  (Read 7661 times)  Share 

BasicAcid

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +135
« on: August 12, 2014, 09:49:20 pm »
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 11:08:13 pm by BasicAcid »

hobbitle

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +110
Re: Transferring from Melbourne Uni to RMIT
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 10:34:37 pm »
Kev I thought you loved UoM!

- Am I eligible for transfer in the first place? (70 average first semester at uni and ATAR well above the clearly ins for 2014)
For sure.

- Will I be able to hop in with the second year students doing these courses? As in will ESD2, Physics 1+2, Linear Algebra etc. at Melbourne Uni be accredited?
I would say highly likely but there may be one or two subjects you might need to 'make up' (maybe over summer?).  Noone can really answer this for sure unless they have done EXACTLY the subjects you did at UoM then transferred into exactly the same course at RMIT. It will honestly be easier to make a 10 minute phone call to RMIT.

- What's with the (honours) in brackets in the uni course names?

It means its a 3-year Bachelor degree with an inbuilt Honours component (4th year). Honours basically will consist of some kind of major project (possibly two) plus a couple of electives.  This info isn't hard to find - please ensure you are reading the literature provided by RMIT not just being sucked in my the names of the course on some VTAC list.  Here is a link to very specific breakdowns of what subjects you need to take in which year, you can read them and perhaps evaluate whether you might get credit or not:

http://www.rmit.edu.au/browse;ID=SPGBH077AUSCY;STATUS=A;SECTION=3;STYPE=ENTIRE;PAGE_AUTHOR=%20Program%20Guides;QRY=%2Btype%3Dflexible%20%2Bsubtype%3Dspg%20%2Bnotes%3D(%20|%22BH077%22)

- Will I be at disadvantage at any way because of this move? (As in GPA/WAM calculations wise or any other technicalities like that)
Nope. If anything you may be better off.  But that's subjective.
2008 - 2010 | Bachelor of Production @ Victorian College of the Arts
2013 - 2015 | Bachelor of Science @ UoM (Bioengineering Systems)
2016 - 2017 | Master of Engineering (Biomedical) @ UoM

Kanon

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +68
  • School: Carwatha College P-12
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 11:24:31 pm »
+1
I was at RMIT studying an Engineering degree (electrical though) so I may be able to shed some light on some of your questions.

1. RMIT's strength in my opinion is their flexibility, they're really really good with transfers so I'd assume you would be able to transfer! That being said, I'm obviously not RMIT :P
2. Likely you would get some credited, but not all. Looking at the course structure you haven't completed anything similar to http://www.rmit.edu.au/courses/035145, so you would obviously need to make that unit up.
3. RMIT mentioned this one to me when they changed my B.Engineering to B.Engineering (Honours). Basically somewhere someone important said that you need to be able to distinguish a bachelor degree that goes for 3 years and a bachelor degree that goes for 4 years. As all engineering degrees go for a minimum of 4 years, they all have B.Engineering (Honours). This is common for all degrees at all unis.
4. Not at all.
'12 - English | Methods | Chemistry | Physics | IT Applications | IT Software Development
'14 - Bachelor of Science (Mathematics) / Bachelor of Computer Science | Monash University

Need a website? I run a web design business!  The Summit Digital

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +376
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 11:43:59 pm »
+1
Not trying to be a bitch here but sometimes transfers into something so similar to what you're doing right now, or at least the path you're on, just aren't worth it.  And often, people think they want to transfer and then go ahead with it and regret it.  So I'll just play devil's advocate for a bit...but also out of curiosity.

But in terms of engineering... I've heard too much regarding "RMIT is better for engineering."
From whom exactly?

Plus I thought Masters would give me a super advantage when finding a job (in Australia), but after reading, talking to people, I don't think that's actually the case. Plus I'd rather enter the workforce sooner than later to be honest.

People that say that are still preparing for the future.  Bachelors degrees in almost every field will eventually (and in the near future) be far less favoured to Masters degrees because so many people go to university these days.  Engineering is a highly oversaturated field.  Especially civil and infrastructure engineering - that's the most highly saturated field there is!  That a masters is more favoured may not be true for somebody in our parents generation, but it is still true for our generation.  Also, if you have to make up subjects and you do an Engineering (Honours) degree you're going to end up graduating around the same time...like, 6 month difference maybe?  Especially if the classes you're required to take aren't available to you so early.  For instance, if you initiate this transfer for the next enrolment, you can't take classes this summer - you won't accept an offer until late January.  You would be starting Semester 1 as a first year with perhaps a sprinkling of second year classes thrown in.

To shed two seconds of light on this issue - two friends of mine that finished the exact degree you mentioned first, both female, both completed compulsory internships during their time at RMIT over the summer.  The first worked for the local council for around 6 months planning carparks and other assorted bullshit, and then decided she actually wants to become a personal trainer, because she didn't realise how hard it was for her to get the kind of civil/infrastructure jobs she really wanted.  The second has plenty of experience but still, the only grad job she could find for her was one that isn't related to engineering at all - that's what she wanted, she's ending up in marketing.  Both graduated with First Class Honours from RMIT.  Both graduated four or five years before you will.  What will your options be when you're standing at the end of the road like they are?  Will they be better?  They'll probably be worse.

So far I feel like I've done nothing while my friends at RMIT yesterday got to visit a site and actually do something hands on (mate had to borrow my steel cap work boots/"tradie boots").

That's totally fair enough - Melb model doesn't work for everyone, but you need to remember it's because you don't study Engineering (yet) - you study Science.  At a university with a thousand times the enrolment than RMIT in their courses.  Taking students to a site in their first year wouldn't be feasible at all.  The classes are simply too big.  First year isn't a good read of anything you'll be doing in the future, even within a Bachelor of Science. The classes become much more tailored in the second and third years.  Once you get to the Masters leg I'm sure you would be doing similar things to your friends.

But if you don't want to wait for that, by all means, go ahead and transfer.  The choice is yours! You've just always appeared so into UoM, I wonder why you're changing your mind now exactly?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 11:47:02 pm by simpak »
2009 ENTER: 99.05
2014: BSci Hons (Microbiology/Immunology) at UoM
2015+: PhD (Immunology) at UoM

hobbitle

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 06:19:03 am »
+1
+10000 simpak.

LOLs99

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 04:48:57 pm »
Sorry to pop in but im curious simpak mentioned rmit has compulsory internship but I don't think Melbourne has one? im not sure...
2014-2016: 

2017-2018: Master of Engineering

hobbitle

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 05:15:13 pm »

Sorry to pop in but im curious simpak mentioned rmit has compulsory internship but I don't think Melbourne has one? im not sure...

The last I heard from Andrew Ooi who is the big wig in the Eng Masters programs, he said that as of next year they were introducing the same compulsory internship thing across the Masters programs.

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 10:02:14 pm »

Can I also just say - the internship is compulsory but they don't necessarily help you get an internship.  So you still have to find it yourself.  Kind of like work experience.  So you might end up as an intern spending your summer doing something you hate.  My friend said by the end of her degree, some people were still 40 hours behind in their internship time and they were not allowed to graduate until they had clocked enough hours.  So sure, it's great for the experience, but with the number of engineering students out there it can be difficult to get a placement...and a lot of them would be shorter than the time you actually need to make up.  Apparently these friends had to delay their graduation by 6 months because of their issues, and try and find internship hours during that time.  In a way, it kind of makes it seem like it would be better for you to /not/ have a compulsory internship if that's the case - if you're still allowed to apply, but you can still actually graduate if the competition makes it difficult for you to get a placement, if you know what I mean.

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 10:20:24 am »
+1
Good idea, re: seeing how you go over the next couple of months.
It might also be a good idea to actually talk to people in a more professional position than your friends at either Melbourne or RMIT.  I wouldn't really trust what first year Commerce students think about which university is better for engineering.  Obviously your RMIT friends are biased like anyone from Melbourne would usually be.  You should look into what employers prefer and not what your friends prefer.  People always talk a lot of shit about the Melbourne model, /especially/ high schoolers and first years.  To a high schooler, or a first year, for some reason going to university for one extra year seems the end of the world.  I honestly do not understand it.  One year of your life is basically nothing.  People waste one year of their life fucking around (like me) doing a degree they're not into and then transferring and they get over it.  One year of your life is /literally/ 12 months.  And to be honest it's not even 12 months.  People are so eager to get into the workforce, too - where does that come from?  Are you worried about the money you're losing?  The lifestyle?  The lifestyle as a student is far superior to full time work lol.  And plus, what's the point of finishing earlier if you're cutting off options for yourself.  It's ONE YEAR DIFFERENCE.  I just don't understand.  Sorry, that rant isn't directed at you specifically - more the entire world.

That your friend moved from Biomed and now wants to go to RMIT doesn't surprise me too much to be honest.  They already wasted some of their time in a degree they're going to discontinue, so perhaps they want to get out of uni ASAP.  You're not in that position.  Also, I don't know your friend/this dux but I can presume transferring to Science at UoM (something so general) probably doesn't sound as prestigious to them and their family (that obviously puts on the pressure) as engineering.  Parents like that would prefer to say 'my son studies engineering' than 'my son studies Science' because Science seems 'easier' to get into/seems more general and less prestigious just by name.  So that might have had something to do with it...

Take it from someone that knows about people claiming 'wastage' of your ATAR/GPA by enrolling in a degree you could have entered with a score like 20 points lower.  Some people find it hard to disregard that kind of judgement.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 10:22:26 am by simpak »

LOLs99

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 09:57:55 pm »
The last I heard from Andrew Ooi who is the big wig in the Eng Masters programs, he said that as of next year they were introducing the same compulsory internship thing across the Masters programs.
So was this compulsory internship at melb same as the one in rmit?Because I actually thought compulsory means they actually offer u with an internship and u do it but that wasn't the case.
Can I also just say - the internship is compulsory but they don't necessarily help you get an internship.  So you still have to find it yourself.  Kind of like work experience.  So you might end up as an intern spending your summer doing something you hate.  My friend said by the end of her degree, some people were still 40 hours behind in their internship time and they were not allowed to graduate until they had clocked enough hours.  So sure, it's great for the experience, but with the number of engineering students out there it can be difficult to get a placement...and a lot of them would be shorter than the time you actually need to make up.  Apparently these friends had to delay their graduation by 6 months because of their issues, and try and find internship hours during that time.  In a way, it kind of makes it seem like it would be better for you to /not/ have a compulsory internship if that's the case - if you're still allowed to apply, but you can still actually graduate if the competition makes it difficult for you to get a placement, if you know what I mean.
I see... then I prefer sticking to the non-compulsory internship :P makes life easier I guess
2014-2016: 

2017-2018: Master of Engineering

ChickenCh0wM1en

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +102
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 11:45:15 pm »
another thing about UoM: 23 contact hours is way too much! :P
I know next to nothing about engineering but I've heard friends talk about contact hours.
If you're worried about that and the hours at UoM, you might hate RMIT engineering - I've heard that engineering hours are absolutely nuts 28+ usually LOL :/
BSc (2015), MD1 (2016)
Tutoring in 2016: http://www.tutorfinder.com.au/tutors/detail.php?TutorID=78301
Chuck a PM if interested :)

Available for tutoring on the summer holidays for university subjects or VCe.
Also tutoring for the Melbourne uni MMIs (medical/physiotherapy interviews)

Please don't PM me for lecture slides or recordings. I don't have them anymore.