Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 11:39:17 am

Author Topic: Looking toward 2017: ask your English Language questions here  (Read 31765 times)  Share 

elaine18

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: Looking toward 2017: ask your English Language questions here
« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2017, 04:42:03 pm »
I am confused on what i am suppose to look for when reading a newspaper article... i found puns used for titles but that's all... could you please explain what newspaper articles i need to look for, for the exam? :) :D

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #76 on: March 22, 2017, 05:11:59 pm »
I am confused on what i am suppose to look for when reading a newspaper article... i found puns used for titles but that's all... could you please explain what newspaper articles i need to look for, for the exam? :) :D

Hey elaine18,

Welcome to ATAR Notes! ;D

Nice work on the pun front. :) Basically, we're looking for anything at all that's language-related. A good place to start might be the list of relevant metalanguage in the study design (around page 17/18 from memory). Go through that list and see how many features you can find in the newspaper articles - and then, importantly, think about why they were used in the first place. :)

What's the article, out of interest? Maybe we can work on a couple together to get you rolling! ;D
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 02:58:05 pm by Joseph41 »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

exit

• Forum Obsessive
  • COALESCE
  • Respect: +38
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2017, 04:38:33 pm »
Does back-channeling attend to the speaker's positive face needs? In what way? What are some features common in spoken discourse that does this?
VCE [ATAR: 99.25]: Physics 1/2, English 1/2, EngLang,Methods, Spesh, Accounting, Chem, German

2018-2021: Bachelor Of Commerce @ University of Melbourne
VCE English Language: A+ Short Answer Guide[pm for extra guidance!]

peanut

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2017, 09:38:33 pm »
I've noticed in many of the VCAA past papers the texts are not provided due to copyright issues. Is there any way around this?

schoolkid101

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2017, 07:09:37 pm »
I have had an English tutor for a couple of years now and she is a professional. I think she is good but none of my English results up to now have satisfied me. What should I do?

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2017, 03:31:38 pm »
+1
I've noticed in many of the VCAA past papers the texts are not provided due to copyright issues. Is there any way around this?
Use the famous Eng Lang green book and other papers. If you're totally adamant in doing VCAA past papers, you should consult your teacher, who should have the copyright to share it for educational purposes only i.e. you can't sell these to anyone afterwards.

I have had an English tutor for a couple of years now and she is a professional. I think she is good but none of my English results up to now have satisfied me. What should I do?
There are two ways you can deal with this:
1. Switch tutors.
2. Consult your teacher and your tutor. Talk with your teacher first. Your teacher at school can help to tell you why you lost marks and why your result is so. Then talk to your tutor. Your tutor isn't a mind reader and doesn't know you're unsatisfied with your English results. They can run over the parts that you didn't receive marks or didn't do so well on.
Random question: is this for English Mainstream or English Language?
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2017, 09:33:17 am »

Hey schoolkid101,

Welcome to ATAR Notes! ;D A few preliminary questions:

What year are you in? And is the tutor for English, or English Language? Why do you think your results haven't satisfied you?

cookiedream

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +410
« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2017, 09:31:20 pm »
+3
Does back-channeling attend to the speaker's positive face needs? In what way?

In a way it does as it indicates to the speaker that the reader is listening. As a result, it reinforces the speaker's inclusion in the conversation, showing that what they are communicating is being taken into account. Thereby, their positive face needs are met :)

What are some features common in spoken discourse that does this?
It depends on context. But in general, features of spoken discourse which can help appeal to the speaker's positive face needs are (other than back-channelling):
- Adjacency pairs (elicits a response from a speaker, including them)
- Overlap (can indicate unity or shared thought which reinforces someone's inclusion in the conversation or social group, such as in a chat between friends)
- Interrogative tags (asks for confirmation, including the speaker as it shows consideration of their opinion)
VCE: (click the links below to view my guides)
2016: Methods [44], Psych [48]
2017: Bio [50], Eng Lang, Chem, Spec
ATAR: 99.75 | UMAT: 88th
2018-2022: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ Monash University

! No longer offering tutoring !

Ahmad_A_1999

• Trendsetter
« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2017, 03:48:50 pm »
Can someone help me distinguish between auxiliaries, modals and copula verbs please.

Also are shortenings considered morphological or lexical and why  :)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 04:17:30 pm by Ahmad_A_1999 »
2017:
Chem [41] Bio [44] Spesh / Methods / EngLang 
ATAR: 95.65
2018-2020: Bachelor of Biomedical Science @ Monash
2021-2024: Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: April 12, 2017, 04:31:56 pm »
+2
Can someone help me distinguish between auxiliaries, modals and copula verbs please.

Also are shortenings considered morphological or lexical and why  :)

Sure - I can try. :) Let me know if any of this doesn't make sense (and I'm happy to be corrected/challenged).

Perhaps the biggest distinction between verb types is that of lexical verbs (so "main verbs" like run, eat, love and so on) and auxiliary verbs. Auxiliary verbs, unlike lexical verbs, provide no lexical content - so no meaning as such.

The auxiliary verb is like a "helper" to the main/lexical verb and, as such, occurs in conjunction with another verb. The auxiliary can provide (mostly grammatical) information, such as modality (essentially likelihood - we'll look at this soon), aspect (whether the verb is ongoing or not) and voice (whether it's active or passive). And there are two main types of auxiliary: the primary auxiliary and the modal auxiliary.

The primary auxiliary (for our purposes, just denoted by "auxiliary") provides important grammatical information. For example:
- I was wondering about the class.
- He has spoken for way too long.
- I do like ice-cream!

I've highlighted the auxiliary in each. Clearly, in each situation, it's not the *main* verb of the sentence (that would be wondering, spoken and like respectively). But without them, the sentences wouldn't really make sense.
- *I wondering about the class.
- *He spoken for way too long.
- *I like ice-cream!

The first two feel grammatically stripped; the third keeps its core meaning, but loses emphasis.

The other type of auxiliary is the modal auxiliary (or for our purposes, the "modal verb"). One of the major functions of these is to denote the implied or actual degree of possibility, likelihood and so on. For example:
- That could be a goer.
- I will do it later.
- I'm going to a party tomorrow; it should be terrible.

This time, I've highlighted the modals. They're again not the *main* verbs (be, do and be respectively), but they indicate hesitancy, absoluteness and then likelihood (or similar).

Modal verbs have historically been paired based on tense (so can/could, may/might, shall/should and so on), but this is less the case these days. The only difference between may and might now, for example, is a slight change in hesitancy. For some speakers, there may (might) be no difference at all. And interestingly, there seem to be some new modals entering the language as we speak.

Copular verbs are different again, and IMO slightly more confusing. Basically, they grammatically connect a subject with a complement. For example:
- Brenden is tall.

Here, without that is, the sentence doesn't make much sense at all; it's a grammatical necessity. The same thing is true in something like "The cake tastes amazing", where taste is acting as the copular.

Does that make sense? :)

EDIT: Whoops, sorry about the long post haha.

EDIT II: To respond to your other question, I think you could probably argue both (because the you're getting rid of morphemes, which is creating new lexemes). What are your thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 05:09:17 pm by Joseph41 »

Ahmad_A_1999

• Trendsetter
« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2017, 04:54:24 pm »
+1
That is an amazing post Joseph thanks so much!
It will take me a while to decipher this though it is so complicated ;D
and Yes I agree with your point for 'shortenings' I think you could argue both ways.

Thanks again!
2017:
Chem [41] Bio [44] Spesh / Methods / EngLang 
ATAR: 95.65
2018-2020: Bachelor of Biomedical Science @ Monash
2021-2024: Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: April 12, 2017, 05:15:23 pm »
That is an amazing post Joseph thanks so much!
It will take me a while to decipher this though it is so complicated ;D
and Yes I agree with your point for 'shortenings' I think you could argue both ways.

Thanks again!

No problem at all! :) Like I say, happy to be corrected on any of that; verb types admittedly isn't my strongest linguistic area.

peanut

• Forum Regular
« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2017, 07:26:32 pm »
+2
What's the difference between an adverb and adverbial? From my understanding, an adverb is a word before an adjective/verb/adverb while an adverbial is a phrase that acts as a adverb. They both have similar functions, in that, they specify the manner of something being done. Is this understanding correct?

cookiedream

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +410
« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2017, 02:51:07 pm »
+4
What's the difference between an adverb and adverbial? From my understanding, an adverb is a word before an adjective/verb/adverb while an adverbial is a phrase that acts as a adverb. They both have similar functions, in that, they specify the manner of something being done. Is this understanding correct?

An adverb is anything that describes or modifies a verb, an adjective or another adverb. (exactly what you said)
An adverbial is anything that acts as an adverb.
Therefore, an adverb can technically be an adverbial.

But, an adverbial phrase is anything composed of at least two words which act as an adverb.

So an adverbial isn't always an adverbial phrase. 

Correct me if I'm wrong  ;D
VCE: (click the links below to view my guides)
2016: Methods [44], Psych [48]
2017: Bio [50], Eng Lang, Chem, Spec
ATAR: 99.75 | UMAT: 88th
2018-2022: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ Monash University

! No longer offering tutoring !

pianism

« Reply #89 on: April 14, 2017, 04:27:49 pm »
+5
Hey peanut!
First off, a wonderful response by cookiedream above – thank you!  :)
I’ve included another explanation of the two terms below if you’re looking for some further clarification:

An adverbial refers to a phrase that provides more information concerning the time, place, manner and frequency – note these phrases are optional. One key feature of an adverbial is that it can be moved around the sentence.

For instance, consider the declarative below:
The child read his novel on Monday.
^ The prepositional unit “on Monday” can be moved around the sentence to create: “On Monday, the child read his novel.”

An adverb can modify a verb – e.g. to beautifully sing, an adjective – a very nice cake, other adverbs – he spoke exceptionally quickly or entire phrases – Suddenly, the child heard a knocking at the door. Adverbs aren’t flexible grammatical units – they must remain attached to the verb/adjective, etc. they are modifying.

Hopefully this post helped – please feel free to correct if there are any errors/lack of clarification.