Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 05:14:39 am

Author Topic: My section 2 essay plan  (Read 4421 times)  Share 

dcesaona

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +24
My section 2 essay plan
« on: July 09, 2018, 09:01:34 am »
Hey! This the plan for my essay! I have some concerns  :-[

Thesis: 'Modern and postmodern artists use the practice of artmaking as a form of therapy by challenging wider issues in the world'
Artists: Jeffery Smart, Edward Hopper, Gordon Bennet, Max Ernst
Example topic sentence: Bennett believed that the art making process would allow him to create a new discourse of Australia’s past, providing him with an expression of years of Indigenous oppression and prejudice.
Example topic sentence: Hopper’s ‘Nighthawks’ can be seen as an expression of wartime alienation

Originally I was going to have my thesis as 'art is a form of therapy' but I looked at a past paper and that wouldn't have fit any of the questions! So I tried pulling the 'challenging wider issues' into it, which makes it significantly trickier, as you can see in my attempted topic sentences. So I guess my two questions are:

- Do you think this is a good, strong thesis that can be adapted to any question?
- Or should I choose just one statement: either art as therapy or art challenges wider issues to have as my thesis?

2018 HSC

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
Re: My section 2 essay plan
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 02:52:14 pm »
+3
Hey!

I'm not sure if 'art as a form of therapy' isn't a strong enough statement. Don't get me wrong, art IS a form of therapy however that wasn't really the main reason artists created art in the first place. If you were to say 'Modern and postmodern artists use the practice of artmaking to comment on society's intentions and antics through challenging reflecting on wider issues in the world', it would make more sense? Artists do not simply create art to relax and take their minds off things for a moment, but rather (especially taking into account the industrial revolution and pretty much modern and post modernist art) artists have this freedom to send a message to their audience.

'Art is a form of therapy' is a great statement however putting it in the same sentence as 'challenging on wider issues in the world' doesn't really make any sense. So it's either you pick 'art is a form of therapy' or 'challenging on wider issues...'. I believe that the second statement is much stronger than the first.

But besides from that, with the freedom of having to pick a question from the six questions provided in the exam, you are bound to find one that perfectly suits your thesis and /hopefully/ you wouldn't need to make any drastic changes. But if you were to adapt it to any question, 'challenging on wider issues' is such a strong thesis which will capture the markers' attention.

Hope this helps :)
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

dcesaona

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 06:24:29 pm »
Thank you so much!  :) This was so helpful, I have a clearer thesis to work with! I also have another question:

If I chose a question in the exam that falls under the conceptual framework (artist, world, audience) does that mean I can't also bring practice into my response? For instance, I talk about Max Ernst and how audiences perceive his artwork where he comments on issues in the world etc. but then I also talk about the technique that he used in his painting, 'frottage'.
2018 HSC

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 09:45:03 pm »
+1
Thank you so much!  :) This was so helpful, I have a clearer thesis to work with! I also have another question:

If I chose a question in the exam that falls under the conceptual framework (artist, world, audience) does that mean I can't also bring practice into my response? For instance, I talk about Max Ernst and how audiences perceive his artwork where he comments on issues in the world etc. but then I also talk about the technique that he used in his painting, 'frottage'.

100% - you should be using techniques in your essay! After all, a part of the conceptual framework is 'Artwork' which is essentially how the piece is constructed to reflect certain ideas! Always look at how specific techniques or practices aid the artist's message :)
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 10:13:18 pm »
+1

Just adding onto DP's answer above, the conceptual framework is the best go-to question in Section 2. It is so flexible because you can talk about the frames and practice and get away with it because they still fall under the artist category :)
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.