Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:32:51 am

Author Topic: Predicted SS!!!  (Read 4409 times)  Share 

Odette

Predicted SS!!!
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2007, 07:14:31 pm »
Quote from: "costargh"
Started reading the "Introduction to Psychology" section of my text book the other day when I was lying down. It suggested looking through the Unit 1 and 2 text book to get a better background because I haven't done 1&2.
Thoughts?

Mhm you should ^_^...
Research Methods
Brain and Nervous System
They're the main ones I think ^_^

Nick

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
Predicted SS!!!
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2007, 08:45:54 am »
The only topics in your 1/2 text book relevant to the course would be:
-Research Methods- read everything in that section. It's pretty much identical to the year 12 course. All the same concepts basically.
-Brain and Nervous system- the 1/2 course focuses more on neurons and the types of these neurons that make up the nervous system- you don't need to know about these. Focus more on the divisions of the nervous system- Central Nervous System, Peripheral, Autonomic etc. That's all that's probably relevant to the 3/4 course.

I really don't think its imperative to read over the 1/2 stuff. You're better off going straight to the 3/4 book and getting your head around that as early as possible. 1/2 is pretty irrelevant in thw whole scheme of things.
Bachelor of Arts (Psychology) @ The University of Melbourne

costargh

Predicted SS!!!
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2007, 04:36:37 pm »
Hey. Yeh soo I've done some work in Psych cause transition started this week. We kinda just lept right through the introduction to psych chapter LOL but I read it anyways. Nothing that can be assessed the teacher said.

I'm getting my head around the brain (thats what we started) I know the FPOT thingo... lol (dont bag my spelling because I'm still learning) frontal, perietal, Ocipital and Temperal sections of the brain. And I just have to read over their functions again because I keep getting confused with the motory and (?) senory and stuff like that. ARGH lol After the holidays I'll let you all know how I'm going.

Nick

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
Predicted SS!!!
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2007, 09:57:15 am »
Yeah your spelling is a little off but once you get used to the terms, that will work itself out.  :wink:

I found making posters of the brain really worthwhile- labelling each lobe and including the functions of each lobe.

I think you're getting confused with the motor cortex and somatosensory cortex- just remember "motor" for movement (associated with the frontal lobe) and somatosensory for senses (associated with the parietal lobe).

If you keep reading, you'll get your head around it. All the terms do get a little confusing at first, but once you actually associate the terms with their functions (elaborative rehearsal, as you will learn in unit 4 memory), it will begin to stick.

If you have any more questions don't hesitate to drop me a line- [email protected]

I'd be more than happy to help. Good luck.

costargh

Predicted SS!!!
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2007, 05:59:26 pm »
Hey yeh we went through the brain today. And our first assignment which contributes 10 marks to unit 3 is a poster of the brain with the labels and functions of each differnt part. Yeh we went through motor cortex and somatosensory cortex today in class. It's all starting to make more sense now. Teacher has been telling the class to associate everything with something to make it easier to understand. Eg. Broca's area with Peter Brock which makes you think of movement (racing) which has to do with speech yeh?
Lol I feel like such a sadcase in psych right now but its really interesting and I think if I work hard enough I will be able to get on top of it all. =)
added ya nick thanks mate

Nick

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
Predicted SS!!!
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2007, 06:15:05 pm »
Yeah no worries. It seems like your teacher has made a good start to preparing you. The Brain and Nervous System is probably one of the slightly more difficult topics, although it gets considerably easier once time goes on.

Make sure you study Wernicke's and Broca's area well- it's easy to get confused.
Remember:
Broca's= responsible for articulating fluent speech
Wernicke's area= Comprehending written and spoken language, as well as locating appropriate words from memory to express intended meaning.

Nick

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
Predicted SS!!!
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2007, 06:17:22 pm »
By the way, which text book are you using?

Odette

Predicted SS!!!
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2007, 08:41:29 pm »
Quote from: "Nick"
By the way, which text book are you using?

Let's hope it isnt the heinemann one (thats just terrible) lol

costargh

Re: Predicted SS!!!
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2007, 06:18:20 pm »
Nelson something...

daniel99

Re: Predicted SS!!!
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2008, 09:20:19 pm »
I dont think that you need to. I didnt do psych last year either and im doing it this year. The only chapter that you should read to prepare for units 3 and 4 is the introduction chapter of the unit 3&4 book and chapter 10. That covers the majority of information that we missed by not doing units 1&2.