Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 04:47:28 am

Author Topic: Should I start writing my major work? Am I allowed to start in Year 11?  (Read 610 times)

cindy1234

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Hi, I really want to do extension 2 english in Year 12 but i'm afraid the workload is going to be way too overwhelming. I know it involves a major work that can be a short story or a suite of poems or a creative piece in any form of any topic, but I'm not sure how to start, or if i should start at all.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Hi, I really want to do extension 2 english in Year 12 but i'm afraid the workload is going to be way too overwhelming. I know it involves a major work that can be a short story or a suite of poems or a creative piece in any form of any topic, but I'm not sure how to start, or if i should start at all.

Hey Cindy! I'm glad you've asked this question. Actually writing/creating the work now is too early on. But, thinking about it now could have it's benefits. At this stage you should be thinking about what form you would pursue if you did the Major Work: Short story? Essay? Film? If you're not sure, then the time to begin thinking about this is now! Obviously there's no reason you need to decide now, but there's no harm in thinking about it when you engage with different texts for inspiration. If it's already abundantly clear what medium you want to pursue, then we can move onto the next step :)

The Major Work is a process involving lots of reading, viewing, researching, thinking, adjusting, writing, planning, editing, drafting, submitting, pitching, etc. You can start most of this now! Of course, this is super, duper, preliminary. All I suggest doing in Year 11 is thinking about what texts interest you, and what kind of things in texts you'd like to emulate. Part of the Ext 2 English course is about using what you've learned in Year 11 and 12 in Advanced and Ext 1 in order to shape your major work - so you can absolutely be thinking about how your current course work will inform your Major Work.

In saying this - I do not at all recommend actually beginning writing the work or anything like that. If you are itching to begin the major work, only begin in your head. The Ext 2 course is designed to be completed in Year 12 and not Year 11 for a reason. Give yourself a mental head start if you can!

But, let me warn you. With Extension Two: Your concepts, plots, characters, ideas, hopes, and final images will change a hundred times. So even when you're thinking about it early, it's not a definitive head start in the way that you'll be able to hit the ground running with a perfect plan for Year 12. It may be the case, but it isn't necessarily. Extension 2 is demanding in lots of ways, but I truly think you'll be able to map out what you need to do to make it work. I mean, I don't know you, but based on your keenness to work ahead of time, I have real faith that you're the kind of student to be able to make this kind of course work for you!

Good luck, don't hesitate to post back with any questions :) I hope Year 11 is off to a good start!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!