Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:04:15 pm

Author Topic: Dealing with English (for Maths students....)  (Read 23070 times)

conic curve

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
Re: Dealing with English (for Maths students....)
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2016, 11:28:52 am »
+1
I really think that the course of standard and advanced English is difficult! Potentially, the hardest! Advanced English was my most difficult subject, and I studied 4 units of English! The reason being, you have to put on so many caps as an analyser/writer. By this I mean, you view things different for each module, you write a creative, you analyse texts of different types, and in an exam, you have to analyse a text you've never ever seen before! If you're finding it difficult, then don't feel ashamed! Basically, it isn't "that" hard to get a band 6 in the fact that it is definitely achievable. But, like all subjects, you have to really work for a band 6! I scraped in with a 93, and I think that advanced english was the subject that I put the MOST effort into. (I think...) So, with hard work and dilligence, you can do anything. I was lucky English is my strength! If your strength is in maths, for example, you might need to go that little bit further with English to bring it up to a high level! :)

You can do ANYTHING!

Yep and basically you have to answer an essay question and/or do creatives on questions which would seem foreign and abstract, all in the 40 minute time frame. There isn't much time to think but there is time "to do" so get nailing in the exam as quick as you can, think a little, attack the question (i.e. answer the question), and give yourself time to edit the work

Personally I dislike english because it's such a broad subject and it's really hard to prepare for. They're more than likely going to throw a curveball question at you and this might of not have been related to a practice essay that you would've done in the past

Basically what he's talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqK6wZ_TMm8

victoriad98

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2016, 10:03:22 am »
This helped a lot! Thanks  ;D

kmorritt

• Adventurer
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2016, 11:01:35 pm »
+1
Thanks this helps alot. I much prefer maths over english and this step by step structuring helps make it easier :)

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2016, 11:08:17 pm »
Thanks this helps alot. I much prefer maths over english and this step by step structuring helps make it easier :)

Glad you found it useful! Catch you around the forums :)

Jake
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

sarahtorrington

• Adventurer
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2016, 02:42:03 pm »
Is there potential for an exam to specifically ask for two related texts? (or, in areas like poetry, to specify which poems you need to discuss?)
My teacher said this could happen, but i feel like she may just be trying to scare me into studying.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2016, 02:46:33 pm »
Is there potential for an exam to specifically ask for two related texts? (or, in areas like poetry, to specify which poems you need to discuss?)
My teacher said this could happen, but i feel like she may just be trying to scare me into studying.
It is definitely possible. It's just that it's unlikely - over the years the HSC realised that students analyse texts better when they focus on one related, rather than two. It's been at least a good six years since they last asked for two related texts in the final HSC exam.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2016, 03:18:09 pm »

Hi there! As RuiAce suggested, it is unlikely but possible. I wrote more about it in this post here so you can read when the last time it happened was, and the trends of related texts as well.

I went in with the idea that: I prepared one related text, if they ask for two, I'm just going to use one of the unseen texts from the start of Paper One as my second related text. The more prepared you can be, the better! If you have the capacity to study two related texts, then why not give yourself that backing net? But, I took the risk of one prepared related text...and I have lived to tell the tale ;)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

sarahtorrington

• Adventurer
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2016, 03:49:07 pm »
Hi there! As RuiAce suggested, it is unlikely but possible. I wrote more about it in this post here so you can read when the last time it happened was, and the trends of related texts as well.

I went in with the idea that: I prepared one related text, if they ask for two, I'm just going to use one of the unseen texts from the start of Paper One as my second related text. The more prepared you can be, the better! If you have the capacity to study two related texts, then why not give yourself that backing net? But, I took the risk of one prepared related text...and I have lived to tell the tale ;)

Thank you both! Fingers crossed they don't specify at all  :)

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2016, 05:00:37 pm »
I went in with the idea that: I prepared one related text, if they ask for two, I'm just going to use one of the unseen texts from the start of Paper One as my second related text.

I totally agree with Elyse's method, I planned to do the same thing! The only thing I would recommend is having a (very brief) think about what you would do if they DID ask for two related texts. How would you structure the essay? Would you do separate paragraphs, or integrate the texts? Spending even 10 minutes thinking about this will help in the EXTREMELY UNLIKELY event that you do need to answer a question with two related texts, because you won't be totally thrown off your game. Exam technique is everything, and panicking at the start of an exam is a really awful feeling. Stay calm, remember that you CAN answer the question, and power through :)

Jake

Sahar8642

• Adventurer
  • School: Malek Fahd Islamic School
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2016, 10:17:58 pm »
Thanks, this helped a lot :) :)

Sssssrr

• Forum Regular
  • School: NGS
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2016, 10:25:51 pm »
+1
thank you so much this was great

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2016, 10:41:35 am »
thank you so much this was great

Glad you found it useful! Good luck for Trials!

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2016, 05:23:13 pm »
I totally agree with Elyse's method, I planned to do the same thing! The only thing I would recommend is having a (very brief) think about what you would do if they DID ask for two related texts. How would you structure the essay? Would you do separate paragraphs, or integrate the texts? Spending even 10 minutes thinking about this will help in the EXTREMELY UNLIKELY event that you do need to answer a question with two related texts, because you won't be totally thrown off your game. Exam technique is everything, and panicking at the start of an exam is a really awful feeling. Stay calm, remember that you CAN answer the question, and power through :)

Jake

Just on a sidenote the question for the CSSA trials did say at least one ort. Did anyone actually use more than 1 related text? If so, do you feel like it worked well for you?

Thanks just getting a general opinion :)

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2016, 05:30:17 pm »
Just on a sidenote the question for the CSSA trials did say at least one ort. Did anyone actually use more than 1 related text? If so, do you feel like it worked well for you?

Thanks just getting a general opinion :)

Obviously I can't speak for people during the Trial, but I would strongly recommend NEVER doing more than is required of you in a question. You WON'T get more marks for using 178 related texts!

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2016, 05:35:16 pm »
+1
Obviously I can't speak for people during the Trial, but I would strongly recommend NEVER doing more than is required of you in a question. You WON'T get more marks for using 178 related texts!

Lol there are only 4 other texts in the stimulus book!! (And at least one didnt make sense, Text 3 im looking at you!) plus, the graphic for text 1 wouldve been hard to use.. I always seem to do more than is required of me for the unseen texts (eg 1/2 page each for the 2 markers, but hey i got the whole paper finished with an entire minute left! :P)