Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 06:37:10 am

Author Topic: How to Write a Module C Essay  (Read 54748 times)

Lauradf36

• Trendsetter
  • "Don't rest on your laurels. Decorate with them"
  • Respect: +1
Re: How to Write a Module C Essay
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2016, 12:08:34 am »
Always is? I feel like it depends on the text but often context can make everything mean way more.

But how much context to include? Like obvi Mod A has a ton, but not sure if Mod C would have the same amount.
ATAR: 98.85

English Adv: 94
English Ext: 47/50
Ancient history: 94
Legal studies: 94
Music I: 93
Religion II: 95

ssarahj

• ATAR Notes NSW MVP - 2016
  • Forum Obsessive
  • seek the full depth and height of life.
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2016, 06:54:56 pm »
But how much context to include? Like obvi Mod A has a ton, but not sure if Mod C would have the same amount.

You're right Mod A definitely has the most. For Mod C I'd say that generally it would be worth mentioning possibly 2-3 times throughout your essay, depending on how you structure your paragraphs etc. Context should add to your analysis and your overall argument, since it basically shows that you know more than just the metaphors and similes in your text. Sometimes relevant info about your composer can be really good to add as context, especially since the electives are "People and Landscapes" and "People and Politics", so its not just about the "people" in your text, its also about how the composer relates to the landscape/politics.
HSC 2016: SOR 2, Adv. English, Ext. 1 English, Chemistry, 2U Maths, Hospitality
6th in NSW for SOR 2

ATAR: 97.00

2017: B Nutrition & Dietetics @ University of Newcastle

Lauradf36

• Trendsetter
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2016, 08:03:11 pm »
You're right Mod A definitely has the most. For Mod C I'd say that generally it would be worth mentioning possibly 2-3 times throughout your essay, depending on how you structure your paragraphs etc. Context should add to your analysis and your overall argument, since it basically shows that you know more than just the metaphors and similes in your text. Sometimes relevant info about your composer can be really good to add as context, especially since the electives are "People and Landscapes" and "People and Politics", so its not just about the "people" in your text, its also about how the composer relates to the landscape/politics.

Thanks, good points!

Emerald99

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2016, 11:12:50 pm »
with representing people and politics, does the politics have to be like politics politics (governments, ideology that type of stuff)or can it be for example the personal politics of a relationship and how for eg someone is controlling and their decision may influence someone else's?

Lauradf36

• Trendsetter
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2016, 09:42:07 am »
with representing people and politics, does the politics have to be like politics politics (governments, ideology that type of stuff)or can it be for example the personal politics of a relationship and how for eg someone is controlling and their decision may influence someone else's?

It can definitely be personal politics as well! In fact it's almost better if it is, because it shows you understand the module is not just about governments and stuff! :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2016, 02:23:56 pm »

Laura's right! I'd be inclined to be certain you are identifying your take on politics, just for the purpose of clarity and allowing the marker to appreciate your unique take, rather than them being confused about why it isn't unlike the rest! People will usually talk about politics in the way of governance, but the rubric does not define politics, thus leaving it open to your discussion :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Emerald99

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2016, 09:12:47 pm »
Thank you! I have another question- when a question asks you about the representation of perspective in the text does that mean the perspective of the author or perspective of the characters?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2016, 11:04:36 pm »
Thank you! I have another question- when a question asks you about the representation of perspective in the text does that mean the perspective of the author or perspective of the characters?

Unless it specifies one or the other - then it is completely up to you to interpret that! If it is talking about "in the text" then that usually means through the characters. But, of course, composers can use characters to reflect their own perspectives, in which case you could definitely uniquely argue that through the characters, the author's perspective is represented! :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Lottie99

• Trailblazer
  • More stressed than I seem
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2016, 12:19:26 pm »
Is context important in Mod C essays? It isn't really in the rubric but my teacher seemed to think it was important. And there's plenty of context to discuss for my prescribed text, but not as much for my related!

Mod C is representation. So what they're asking from you is why and how your composer made this text. That makes context super critical in your analysis. You probably will struggle to really engage with the representation without it :)

Emerald99

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2016, 12:37:08 pm »
Thank you :) If the question asks about conflicting perspectives and you're related text just has one perspective what do you do?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2016, 12:41:28 pm »
Thank you :) If the question asks about conflicting perspectives and you're related text just has one perspective what do you do?

You would have to play the perspective of your ORT against the perspective of your Prescribed Text! This can actually work really nicely ;D

Emerald99

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2016, 01:04:58 pm »
Oh wow I didn't think about it like that, that's pretty smart. Thank you :)

Neutron

• Trendsetter
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2016, 10:54:50 am »
Hey!

Just a general question, what's the difference between positioning and the representation of characters (I'm doing king henry) ? I literally thought they were the same thing but my teacher ripped me apart for not distinguishing the two. Also, this module is really stuffing me up, how do you analyse a text on a textual level without going into the positioning stuff? I feel like it's very basic but my teacher told me I don't do enough if any of the textual analysis :/ I thought going into the positioning incorporated within the text (i.e. the techniques used) already suffices with analysing on a textual level?

Neutron

AFix

• Trailblazer
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2016, 11:06:25 am »
+1
Hey!

Just a general question, what's the difference between positioning and the representation of characters (I'm doing king henry) ? I literally thought they were the same thing but my teacher ripped me apart for not distinguishing the two. Also, this module is really stuffing me up, how do you analyse a text on a textual level without going into the positioning stuff? I feel like it's very basic but my teacher told me I don't do enough if any of the textual analysis :/ I thought going into the positioning incorporated within the text (i.e. the techniques used) already suffices with analysing on a textual level?

Neutron

To my understand
Positioning = What the character plays in the plot
Representation = Why the character plays the role in the plot

Could you maybe give us an example?  I think I know what you're saying, but I don't want to say something really misleading.  Maybe show a sentence where she said you aren't going in depth enough (textually)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2016, 11:19:48 am »
To my understand
Positioning = What the character plays in the plot
Representation = Why the character plays the role in the plot

Could you maybe give us an example?  I think I know what you're saying, but I don't want to say something really misleading.  Maybe show a sentence where she said you aren't going in depth enough (textually)

Welcome to the forums AFix! Let us know if you need a hand finding anything! ;D