Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:02:17 pm

Author Topic: worlds of upheaval help  (Read 2056 times)  Share 

Jfernando312

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
worlds of upheaval help
« on: March 30, 2020, 09:58:56 pm »
Hi there,

I was wondering if someone would be able to give me some advice and guidance on structuring a response for my upcoming worlds of upheaval assessment? I have to:

Jstor has invited you to write a paper investigating the complex relationship between individuals and society during times of upheaval. You are to establish a clear thesis about the potential of these texts to activate change in attitudes, perspectives and social circumstances through the experience of the individual and society.   You must discuss how representing worlds of social and political change may challenge literary conventions and traditional societal values. You must evaluate how texts represent shifting values, contexts and attitudes, and reconsider your own values and assumptions in relation to these representations.

My core text is Frankenstein and my two related are Paradise Lost and a play called Doctor Faustus. So what would be the best paragraph structure and paper structure to meet the demands of the task, and also with my thesis below, I am struggling with showing the relationship with society I think cause im focusing too much on the individual, could someone please help me out

Worlds of upheaval in society are corrupted during times of upheaval. Individuals are corrupted during times of upheaval, sometimes by themselves and/or as a product of the domestic environment, whether this be death or loss. This can have implications on their perception of self-worth and make irrational decisions in the pursuit of knowledge and ambition.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: worlds of upheaval help
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 02:20:36 pm »
Hi there,

I was wondering if someone would be able to give me some advice and guidance on structuring a response for my upcoming worlds of upheaval assessment? I have to:

Jstor has invited you to write a paper investigating the complex relationship between individuals and society during times of upheaval. You are to establish a clear thesis about the potential of these texts to activate change in attitudes, perspectives and social circumstances through the experience of the individual and society.   You must discuss how representing worlds of social and political change may challenge literary conventions and traditional societal values. You must evaluate how texts represent shifting values, contexts and attitudes, and reconsider your own values and assumptions in relation to these representations.

My core text is Frankenstein and my two related are Paradise Lost and a play called Doctor Faustus. So what would be the best paragraph structure and paper structure to meet the demands of the task, and also with my thesis below, I am struggling with showing the relationship with society I think cause im focusing too much on the individual, could someone please help me out

Worlds of upheaval in society are corrupted during times of upheaval. Individuals are corrupted during times of upheaval, sometimes by themselves and/or as a product of the domestic environment, whether this be death or loss. This can have implications on their perception of self-worth and make irrational decisions in the pursuit of knowledge and ambition.

Hey, Jfernando312!

Hope this isn't too delayed of a response! There are many ways you could structure the paper but the aim is to ensure you have a balanced discussion of the texts. I would recommend approaching it in an integrating fashion like this;

Introduction
Body 1- Theme 1 (F + PL)
Body 2- Theme 2 (F+ DF)
Body 3- Theme 3 (PL + DF)
Conclusion

As for your thesis, you're heading in the right track but it needs to be more reflective on the role of these literary worlds in helping us understand the current world (and hence, establishing awareness for the relationships these texts have with today's society). It says "individuals" which is a bit vague; perhaps try and suggest the greater influence of representations within the text of individual and collective lives on our ability to comprehend the complexities of our own world. At the moment, your thesis seems to just be dwelling within the ideas of the text, rather than answering the broader questions of the literary worlds module and the elective more specifically. Hope that helps and let me know if you have any further questions!

Angelina  ;D

-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music