Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:08:05 am

Author Topic: General Makeup/Skincare Discussion Thread  (Read 84620 times)  Share 

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
General Makeup/Skincare Discussion Thread
« on: October 13, 2018, 01:44:02 pm »
+12
To a very similar note to the General Fashion Discussion Thread, here's a thread to discuss your makeup/skincare routines, favourite products and new discoveries! Feel free to share any advice and/or tips!!
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
Re: General Makeup/Skincare Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 01:58:14 pm »
+7
Would love a recommendation for face sunscreen please 🙏 I find most sunscreens are too greasy or make a white film on my already too pale face!

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 01:59:40 pm »
+2
Would love a recommendation for face sunscreen please 🙏 I find most sunscreens are too greasy or make a white film on my already too pale face!
Big feels here :(
Pls help ❤
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 02:00:46 pm »
+12
omg yassssss guys for people with acne Benzyl Peroxide is 100% the way to go but it will FUCK up your skin. To fix it up I use a really gentle oil-free moisturiser from Neutrogena, and I use the ego QV gentle cleanser in the shower, which is the best find ever.

Anyway a friend of mine swears by drinking celery juice on an empty stomach in the morning as an acne treatment but ain't no one got the time to blend and strain. If anyone tries it out lmkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk k baiii honeys <3 <3
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 02:04:00 pm »
+7
Black. Heads.
Why. And how.
Please help me I don't want this :(

omg yassssss guys for people with acne Benzyl Peroxide is 100% the way to go but it will FUCK up your skin. To fix it up I use a really gentle oil-free moisturiser from Neutrogena, and I use the ego QV gentle cleanser in the shower, which is the best find ever.

Anyway a friend of mine swears by drinking celery juice on an empty stomach in the morning as an acne treatment but ain't no one got the time to blend and strain. If anyone tries it out lmkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk k baiii honeys <3 <3
ILY THX BAE I NEEDED THIS OMG
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 02:21:13 pm »
+8
YAAASSS I'M SO READY FOR THIS

To start off, I'm a huge fan of Korean skincare and makeup. Since I have a normal skin type, I tend to just stick to sheet masks every Sunday. I know a lot of beauty blogs tend to do sheet masks everyday but I'm a bit concerned that my skin will get irritated from the alcohol.

Pro tip: avoid products that have a very strong fragrance *cough cough* Aveeno moisturiser *cough cough* If it's to moisturise your body, it should be fine but if you're planning to use it on your face, then I wouldn't recommend it. It's also the reason why I hate flower sheet masks. I used an Etude House Rose sheet mask and my face dried up so much my skin started flaking. Flower products tend to have a lot of fragrance.

My go to sheet masks are usually: tea tree, green tea, aloe vera and hyaluronic acid. I would be careful using hyaluronic acid sheet masks during winter, especially if it's dry winter air because what it will do is that it will take the moisture from your skin and then dry you out, and dry skin in winter is a nightmare (trust me, for 14 years of my life, I detested moisturising and my skin would be cracked. I started moisturising properly in Year 10 lmao). Collagen sheet masks are also good- they're great for skin tightening. But I don't usually go for collagen sheet masks because I'm more into hydrating.

As for my go to brands, I love Etude House, The Face Shop and Innisfree. The Face Shop is the most accessible Korean skincare store because they have a store at Hurstville, Town Hall and Macquarie Centre. Although Innisfree is difficult to find in Australia, they recently set up an Australian-based Instagram account, but I'm not sure what they're planning here. As for Etude House- it's ridiculously difficult to find them here. They have stores set up in most of Asia and even the US but not Australia -_- I tend to get them when I'm visiting family overseas and my aunt (big skincare junkie like me lmao) sends me sheet masks.

Moving on to makeup, I love Etude House makeup because they're not too intense. Sometimes I like something that's not too full glam but natural. Their Dear Darling Jelly Lipstick is really good- quite sheer though. They're comfortable to use (didn't need to use lip balm) and they smell nice! I am a bit sad that mine melted, even though it wasn't in direct sunlight ;-; I also have their Etude House Dear Darling Soda Lip Tint in the shade PK001 and Dear Darling Water Tint in the shade Watermelon Red. I bought these 2 online at Yesstyle because my friend and I did a group haul so we can get free shipping- they're a trustworthy account and they ship really quickly. We ordered the products on Wednesday night and by Friday same week, they sent an email saying it's already shipped. The thing I didn't expect was how bright these colours were (Here's a swatch: First is Watermelon Red and the second is PK001 ) They both look the same on camera but I swear they're different! PK001 is a lot more pink while Watermelon Red has a more reddish tone. But the consistency is a bit different. Watermelon Red is a bit more watery. I'm still tried to figure out how to make it work because when I apply it on the centre of my lips and try to blend it out into a gradient look, it doesn't blend well. With PK001, I had to scrape off the excess on the side of the bottle and it applies and blends out well- Susie complimented my lip tint yesterday so I'm glad it worked out.

I also love using the Australis Lip Oil. They're vegan, it doesn't smell like chemicals and they look natural enough that my dad isn't suspicious of me wearing lip oil lol. A lot of lip products I use are lip tints, lip glosses and lip oils so they tend to not be transfer proof. I do have to give a warning with the Etude House Lip Tints, you need to get the Lip Tint remover to take it off properly. I have to scrub off the lip tint and there's a bit of colour on my lips. I just let it fade away.

As for eyeliners, this has been a big struggle. I started off with an Essence Waterproof Eyeliner but that didn't work out. Right now I use the Maybelline Hyperglossy Liquid Eyeliner because I can actually line my eyes properly. I recently bought the Maybelline Eyestudio Gel to try it out but it didn't work out as an eyeliner so I'm using it to tightline. I tried the W7 Liquid Eyeliner from their Very Vegan collection and it was horrible! It didn't apply properly and it get gathering in the corners of my eyes and irritated my eyes.

For mascara, I use the Maybelline Falsies Push Up. I have thin eyelashes so I found that any mascara with a massive brush did not help my lashes at all. I used the Elf Plumping Mascara and it get smudging on my eyelids because the brush was massive- I loved the formula though. The great thing about my Maybelline mascara is that I can actually feel it brushing my eyelashes and they actually stick up (and I don't curl my lashes because those eye lash curlers look like something a gynaecologist would use). It's not waterproof though so I may need to find a better one.

So here's my long review of skincare and makeup products I use (I was supposed to write my English essay but welp ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 02:36:05 pm by owidjaja »
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 02:32:56 pm »
+6
Hello! To get the thread started, I'mma share my make up and skincare routines!!

**It helps that I work at Priceline because I'm able to get free samples of makeup/skincare products and check out which brands are popular amongst my customers.

Bea's Makeup Routine
Since I prefer to have a natural and dewy look, I avoid foundation since I find it really heavy. ANYWAYS

1. I prime my face with the Rimmel Stay Matte primer. This allows for my makeup to stay on for longer, minimise my pores and make me look less shiny.
2. I do my brows with the Benefit Cosmetics Goof Proof Brow Pencil and the NYX Tinted Brow Mascara.
3. If I'm ever going to an event- I put the Natio Pure Mineral Skin Perfecting BB Cream all over my face using either my Real Techniques expert face brush or my Real Techniques beauty sponge. But it's very rare that I use BB cream since it transfers everywhere.
4. I prime my eyelids with the Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion and blend it with my brush.
5. I use the Maybelline Fit me Concealer and put it under my eyes, problem areas, forehead. I also use it to clean up my brows.
6. Depending on the day, time I've got left and my mood- I put on eyeshadow. I usually pick my colours from the following palettes: Maybelline- The Nudes, Rimmel- Magnif'eyes Spice Edition or the Too Faced- Peach palette.
7. If I have enough time and wanna commit to my look (which is rare ahah)- I put on eyeliner. I either use a Mac Brushstroke Liner in Black or the Dollywink eyeliner in Brown.
8. I would get a powder brush and use the Mecca Max Skin Halo to highlight my cheekbones, my nose, some parts of my forehead and my cupid's bow.
9. I set my face using the NYX Dewy Finish Setting Spray.
10. I curl my eyelashes and use two mascaras- L'Oreal Volume Million Lashes Waterproof to add length to my straight Asian Lashes and the Kiss Me Heroine Make Volume and Curl Mascara to add more definition.
11. And lastly, if I feel like it, I'll wear lipstick. I have quite a lot of lipsticks but these are my top three picks- Maybelline Superstay Matte Ink (in the shade: Fighter), Smashbox Always on Liquid Lipstick (in the shade: Out Loud) and the Rimmel Liquid Lip Colour (in the shade Moca)

And when I put my glasses back on, it literally looks like I did nothing and you can't even see my eye makeup :-\ But that's ok. I enjoy spending time in the morning for myself and adding stuff to my face for fun. My routine usually takes around 30-40 minutes which is why I'm always late for the bus ahaha

Bea's Skincare Routine
As for my skincare routine- boy oh boy. Every morning and night I do wash, cleanse, tone and moisturise my face. However, twice a week I do this long skincare routine before I go to sleep.

**Disclaimer: I have dry, sensitive skin and I don't have much acne. So only use this as a guide if you have the same skin type as me !! Best to do your research first, see what ingredients you're allergic to and check out reviews before trying and purchasing a product.

1. Wash my face with water
2. Cleanse my face with the La Roche-Posay Effaclar Foaming Gel. LRP is AMAZING for sensitive skin!! As well as for skin that are prone to acne, or small bumps.
3. Exfoliate my face- one day I use the Sukin Oil Balancing Plus Charcoal Pore Refining Facial Scrub. The Sukin exfoliator helps draw out the oils out of my skin and mattify my face. I alternate with the Formula 10.0.6 One Smooth Operator Pore Cleaning Face Scrub because this actually exfoliates all the dead skin outta my face oml
4. FACE MASKS!!- I use the L'Oreal Pure Clay Anti-Blemish Mask (clay, washoff mask) to treat my problematic areas on my forehead and some parts of my cheeks. I also use the Formula 10.0.6 Be Berry Clear Illuminating Peel Mask (peel mask as mentioned) to brighten my undereyes and other areas in my face that haven't already been covered by the L'Oreal Clay mask.
5. Tone my face with the Sukin Hydrating Mist Toner- I love love the Rosewater because its so refreshing and it smells so nice
6. I use the Neutrogena Hydro Boost Eye Roll On to add more moisture to my undereyes cos they dry. This product is somewhat- very soothing, I love.

This is where my moisturising routine comes down and I use quite a lot of products I think
7. I use the La Roche-Posay Effaclar Duo Plus to reduce the marks on my face caused by the lil bumps I get from stressing about uni ahaha
8. I use the Neutrogena Face Cream Sensitive Skin all over my face for a general face moisturiser.
9. Lastly, I use the La Roche-Posay Toleraine Riche Soothing and Protective Cream for the really dry spots on my face

Again, this is my own skincare routine for my dry, sensitive skin. Do research first before you buy any of these products if you think that they are suitable for your face! I personally don't use sheet masks because they are so strong and I usually get a reaction after using them

Edit: Ohmygod how could I forget the Mario Badescu Drying Lotion!! If I have a huge pimple or whitehead on my face, this drying lotion calms the spot overnight and the size should be reduced when you wake up the next morning. The salicylic acid is meant to help it?? I don't know the science behind this, but the ladies at Mecca have explained to me that this acid is meant to help and I believe them.

My goodness this took 40 minutes to type out ahaha
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 05:24:15 pm by beatroot »

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2018, 02:34:48 pm »
+5
Black. Heads.
Why. And how.
What skin type are you? If you're an oily skin type, I know my friend uses the Cosrx BHA Blackhead Power Liquid. BHA is essentially Beta Hydroxy Acid, which is the gentler version of salicylic acid. Salicylic acid is supposed to attack the pimples. I will repeat though, this is great for oily skin type because it's oil soluble and can dry you out. However, I did see a beauty blogger with dry skin type use it and she loved it so maybe it could work.
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2018, 02:36:17 pm »
+8
I never thought i'd see a makeup and skin care thread on ATAR Notes.
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2018, 02:36:53 pm »
+3

Big feels here :(
Pls help ❤

Hey! I would try out the La Roche Posay face sunscreen ranges- my customers go CRAZY over these sunscreen!! A little bit pricey tho rip ($30?) but just time it well with the sales at Priceline or Chemist Warehouse and you shall get yo sunscreen!! (but *coughs* go to Priceline pls and support my job ahahha) You can also try the Neutrogena dry touch sunscreen if you want!! (I reckon just do some research first before purchasing as we all have different skin types)

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2018, 02:39:45 pm »
+5
Actually contributing to the thread now..

Quote from: brenden
omg yassssss guys for people with acne Benzyl Peroxide is 100%
Agree with this. I have had acne for a looooong time (probably from early teens) and have used a product called Benzac. I'm thankful that over the past 2 years or so my acne has reduced significantly and only get a few pimples here and there from ingrown hairs on my face due to shaving etc but the 10% strength will literally bomb any acne you have and get rid of it quick smart. Only downside is the fact that given it's benzyl peroxide, if you go out in the sun your face starts to peel badly so like brenden said, moisturiser is definitely required... I'm nearly 24 and still get them every so often so hopefully the phase resolves itself... soon... as I still blend in like i'm a teenager when I teach. lol

In terms of blackheads, these are probs my main issue. I have a LOT of them across my nose area and under my eyes and they are extremely stubborn. I have literally tried everything.... really have just accepted they are just my crappy pores and I just deal with it now. Get rid of -> return -> repeat
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 02:43:55 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2018, 02:42:29 pm »
+2
My goodness this took 40 minutes to type out ahaha
Omg same- took me ages to write out everything xD

But seriously though, you should do a full on GRWM and just spill the tea, as you do like any other beauty guru (Jeffree Star lmao). Like, I'm still trying to figure out how to use an eyeshadow palette. I get confused when beauty gurus are like "I'm gonna pack this colour in my crease" and I'm like "I have tiny Asian eyes pls help ._." Also what brushes do you use? I'm internally sobbing that I can't afford a Morphe Eye Brush Set.

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2018, 02:45:18 pm »
+4
Black. Heads.
Why. And how.

To really help the blackheads, I would recommend anything with C H A R C O A L!!
Charcoal sucks up all the oils that causes the blackheads to form. Possibly try the Sukin Charcoal range (would recommend the charcoal face scrub) or if you really wanna commit- the Formula 10.0.6 charcoal peel off mask. Peel off masks are really for extreme cases though.

Omg same- took me ages to write out everything xD

But seriously though, you should do a full on GRWM and just spill the tea, as you do like any other beauty guru (Jeffree Star lmao). Like, I'm still trying to figure out how to use an eyeshadow palette. I get confused when beauty gurus are like "I'm gonna pack this colour in my crease" and I'm like "I have tiny Asian eyes pls help ._." Also what brushes do you use? I'm internally sobbing that I can't afford a Morphe Eye Brush Set.

Hello it is I Bea MUA xx

Honestly tbh I don't know what I'm doing when I do my eyeshadow. I just get a light colour and smear it over my lid and above my crease since I have hooded eyes. Then I get a dark colour in my crease and a metallic colour on my eyelid. Though this is when I'm feeling super extra. I usually pack one eyeshadow colour on my lids and called it a day l m a o. I've used the same makeup brushes since Dec 2016 ahaah. I gotta replace them soon. But I own the Nude by Nature brushes that come in a lil pouch. I would also seriously recommend the Elf eye brushes- they're only $3 at KMART (bargain!) but it helps to practice and stuff. My aunt also gave me these Harry Potter wand eye brushes which are very cute! What brushes do you use?

Oml Morphe is so darn expensive, but you can use code 'James' for 10% off ;) I really wanna buy the Jaclyn Hill Eyeshadow Palette from Morphe but I gotta save my money to fund my film!!! One day ...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 02:59:49 pm by beatroot »

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2018, 02:54:45 pm »
+1
I've practically never had a pimple but, as Brenden could confirm, my skin is pre' whack in other ways. Super, super dry all the time to the point that it bleeds pre' much every day. I have prescribed stuff for it but have been on the lookout for super good moisturiser if anybody has tips?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2018, 03:00:25 pm »
+3

Oml Morphe is so darn expensive, but you can use code 'James' for 10% ;) I really wanna buy the Jaclyn Hill Eyeshadow Palette from Morphe but I gotta save my money to fund my film!!! One day ...
Omg James Charles is such a meme I am S I S T E R   S H O O K

Hello it is I Bea MUA xx

Honestly tbh I don't know what I'm doing when I do my eyeshadow. I just get a light colour and smear it over my lid and above my crease since I have hooded eyes. Then I get a dark colour in my crease and a metallic colour on my eyelid. Though this is when I'm feeling super extra. I usually pack one eyeshadow colour on my lids and called it a day l m a o. I've used the same makeup brushes since Dec 2016 ahaah. I gotta replace them soon. But I own the Nude by Nature brushes that come in a lil pouch. I would also seriously recommend the Elf eye brushes- they're only $3 at KMART (bargain!) but it helps to practice and stuff. My aunt also gave me these Harry Potter wand eye brushes which are very cute! What brushes do you use?
I will see if I can convince my mum to actually buy an eyeshadow palette and eye brushes. I've always been eyeing the Elf brush set and the Covergirl Trunaked palette because they're supposed to be a dupe for Urban Decay Naked Palette (which btw, $83 from Mecca?? I'm too broke for that ;-;). But how does one use makeup but at the same time not be too extra so my dad doesn't notice lmao

On another note, what makeup removers do you guys use?
I've used a lot of makeup removers and they tend to dry me out -_-
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 04:10:05 pm by owidjaja »