Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:47:27 pm

Author Topic: Biomedical Science into Graduate Entry Medicine!  (Read 559 times)  Share 

turtlethekat123

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Biomedical Science into Graduate Entry Medicine!
« on: August 04, 2020, 02:54:41 pm »
Hey guys, just looking for some advice!

I was wondering what the benefits of the undertaking biomedical science under the scholars program opposed to just doing biomed as it is and whether the scholars program will be beneficial to 'build' up my portfolio.
Also, as graduate entry medicine does not discriminate against other courses, as it ultimately comes down to our respective GPA and GAMSAT results, would I be better off to undertake a different course such as radiography or physiotherapy, as by doing so, in the case that I do not land a spot in graduate medicine, I ultimately have a secure degree to fall back on; job perspective wise, something that would not be offered if I were to pursue biomed. Also, by pursuing a different degree to biomed, I would not have to, I guess a way to put it 'not try as hard,' as those in biomed would all be gunning for the top to remain competitive in getting into medicine, whereas those say doing phsio aren't.
Any thoughts on whether I should spend 4 years on a physio or radiography degree as a means of having something to fall back on in the worst case scenario or if I should yolo and just do 3 years of biomed and pray to god i land a spot in biomed, despite the possibility that im doomed if i dont.
Thanks!

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Biomedical Science into Graduate Entry Medicine!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 03:15:31 pm »
+3
Hey guys, just looking for some advice!

I was wondering what the benefits of the undertaking biomedical science under the scholars program opposed to just doing biomed as it is and whether the scholars program will be beneficial to 'build' up my portfolio.
Also, as graduate entry medicine does not discriminate against other courses, as it ultimately comes down to our respective GPA and GAMSAT results, would I be better off to undertake a different course such as radiography or physiotherapy, as by doing so, in the case that I do not land a spot in graduate medicine, I ultimately have a secure degree to fall back on; job perspective wise, something that would not be offered if I were to pursue biomed. Also, by pursuing a different degree to biomed, I would not have to, I guess a way to put it 'not try as hard,' as those in biomed would all be gunning for the top to remain competitive in getting into medicine, whereas those say doing phsio aren't.
Any thoughts on whether I should spend 4 years on a physio or radiography degree as a means of having something to fall back on in the worst case scenario or if I should yolo and just do 3 years of biomed and pray to god i land a spot in biomed, despite the possibility that im doomed if i dont.
Thanks!
Just to answer the scholars vs non-scholars question first. I am assuming this is for Monash University. It really doesn't matter the only difference is you get more networking opportunities (probably less during COVID-19) and you are required to do a research project in year 3. If you change your mind during your course you can easily switch out of scholars to non-scholars.

As for which undergraduate degree is most beneficial you will get a variety of responses so I will include them here to save everyone's time. There are those who:

1. Say do science over Biomed, saying that the environment is less toxic and that it is easier to get a higher GPA. Along with the idea you will have more opportunities at the end of it.

2. Some who say do radiography/physiotherapy to make sure by the end of it all you will likely have some sort of job regardless of whether you get into postgrad.

3. Others will say do Biomed since that is focussed, that environment can give you a lot of motivation, the subjects you take will be related to medicine. Biomed teaches a lot more about human biology.

I know people from each different option. imo it is all up to to the individual to decide what is best for them. There is no 100% ideal choice. One thing I would say is that the "toxic" nature of biomed is untrue.  Sure there are people who are doing their best but that is true for everyone's courses. Also, you aren't "doomed" if you don't get in you can definitely get a job just via a Biomed degree (however a lot of people go onto further learning).

I am concerned that you are worried about having to "try hard". Firstly, there are definitely those in physio/science/radiography who do really well and put in a lot of effort. I wouldn't say any of those courses are easy. Furthermore, completing a medical course can be quite difficult for most people so it may not be suitable.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
Re: Biomedical Science into Graduate Entry Medicine!
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 05:40:39 pm »
+3
I am concerned that you are worried about having to "try hard". Firstly, there are definitely those in physio/science/radiography who do really well and put in a lot of effort. I wouldn't say any of those courses are easy. Furthermore, completing a medical course can be quite difficult for most people so it may not be suitable.
Seconding Sine's comments here. Being a physio student myself I know everyone in my course works really hard and it isn't a course you can score highly in easily - it takes a lot of hard work. Your chances of having a higher WAM are probs higher in Biomed than in Physio lol.

I also would recommend against doing a course in a field you're not passionate about. Physio is a hard slog for 4 years and even harder if you're just doing it to get into medicine and not with a view to being a physio - I think it would be hard to motivate yourself through the long unpaid placement hours if you don't even really want to be a physio that much. It's a field you have to be really passionate about, and if you're planning on working in hospital physio, grad positions are really competitive and hard to come by.