Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 01:52:07 am

Author Topic: Werewolf  (Read 208368 times)  Share 

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
Re: Werewolf
« Reply #885 on: September 15, 2019, 10:20:12 am »
I somehow chose the best person to visit the first night.  :'(
Yeah thanks for that. I was so surprised that no one figured out what had happened though 😂
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

blueycan

• MOTM: AUG 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her
« Reply #886 on: September 15, 2019, 11:16:15 am »
Damn that was crazyyyy

SlowandSteady

• MOTM: JULY 2019
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #887 on: September 15, 2019, 11:18:54 am »
Also, in this game, BOTH support werewolves NEVER used their actions at night, and this is concerning for me, because I want the actions to be worthwhile, so @SlowandSteady and @fun_jirachi, what were your reasons for never going out? Was it to not get caught? (Even though necromancer only visits the dead's house) Was it that you didn't understand it?
I couldn't find a lot of use for the dead roles that were available. Actually, now that I think of it, I could have used the nitwit to visit fun_jirachi causing jeyda to see me, so that's really just some silliness on my part. This was a fantastic game, though (being a whodog was fun). Thanks for taking the time to run it, blasonduo!
QCE Class of 2023 :D

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #888 on: September 15, 2019, 01:08:40 pm »
May the Poet and the PF be forever on opposite teams.

Kidding ofc
Ahahahha surrrreee you are...

Nah, I had given PF a very strong alibi for N1 with my tracking. Very confused right up till the end! After I died, I was almost sure the whodogs would win haha
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
« Reply #889 on: September 15, 2019, 01:17:58 pm »
Also, in this game, BOTH support werewolves NEVER used their actions at night, and this is concerning for me, because I want the actions to be worthwhile, so @SlowandSteady and @fun_jirachi, what were your reasons for never going out? Was it to not get caught? (Even though necromancer only visits the dead's house) Was it that you didn't understand it?

The main reason I didn't use the night action was the caveat that you could tell if you had been hypnotised or not. In the early game, this was critical in not revealing the powers of the support werewolves (noted by the fact that the town thought there was an illusionist until SlowandSteady died). Compounding this a little bit was the fact that there's always ambiguity in the early game; not having the Seer's Evil Twin as a support or early role reveals by the town gave no noteworthy reasons for me to alter night actions at the cost of revealing the presence of a hypnotist (or even my actual role! given that I was investigated very early in the game). Please don't take this the wrong way, but after playing the hypnotist, I feel it's highly reliant on early role reveals and/or collaboration with unsuspecting town, and as the game progresses and roles are deduced it gets less and less powerful until you're inevitably lynched; ie. just seems too niche as compared to the other support roles. I think the swapper is a good way to remedy this as their impact on the game is very similar. (sorry for the long read)

I agree with SlowandSteady though; the necromancer relies a lot on luck; not as many roles are that useful for the werewolves to reuse as they are for the town (possibly advantageous:vigilante/nitwit/guard/psychic/seer, not really as advantageous:tracker/lookout/best friend/medic/tourist), and in our case were kinda banking on hitting the vigilante early to get two kills in one night. Never really got to use the roles available in that case. Basically the necromancer relies on hitting the possibly advantageous roles early, which is usually guesswork, while also having the right amount of information circling to not arouse suspicion yet reuse the roles effectively.

EDIT: I don't think that allowing the hypnotist to use the action without notifying hypnotised is a good buff to implement (the role loses its identity a bit and it is slightly busted if the early game goes your way), but a possible buff I see going forward is possibly not allowing the hypnotist's victim's action to be blocked (because they presumably do some hocus pocus on the blocker!). Just seems like a bit of a win more role as opposed to an impact/game-winning/turning role. That being said, it was very fun to make those decisions every night :)

« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 01:31:17 pm by fun_jirachi »
Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions

blasonduo

• Forum Obsessive
  • Schrodinger waved while Heisenberg didn't?
« Reply #890 on: September 15, 2019, 02:08:00 pm »
not having the Seer's Evil Twin as a support or early role reveals by the town gave no noteworthy reasons for me to alter night actions at the cost of revealing the presence of a hypnotist (or even my actual role! given that I was investigated very early in the game). Please don't take this the wrong way, but after playing the hypnotist, I feel it's highly reliant on early role reveals and/or collaboration with unsuspecting town, and as the game progresses and roles are deduced it gets less and less powerful until you're inevitably lynched; ie. just seems too niche as compared to the other support roles. I think the swapper is a good way to remedy this as their impact on the game is very similar. (sorry for the long read)

I completely agree, and is the reason why I thought the swapper would've been a good idea, but it also makes it seem like it makes the hypnotist an ever weaker role to get. Also, nothing to take wrong here, you played the role, so you know its flaws better and I want to improve this game. :)

I agree with SlowandSteady though; the necromancer relies a lot on luck; not as many roles are that useful for the werewolves to reuse as they are for the town (possibly advantageous:vigilante/nitwit/guard/psychic/seer, not really as advantageous:tracker/lookout/best friend/medic/tourist), and in our case were kinda banking on hitting the vigilante early to get two kills in one night. Never really got to use the roles available in that case. Basically the necromancer relies on hitting the possibly advantageous roles early, which is usually guesswork, while also having the right amount of information circling to not arouse suspicion yet reuse the roles effectively.

Also agree with the necromancer, I knew it had its weaknesses, and I kept with it because "They can't get caught if they do go, so it balances out" but as you said, the number of roles that are actually useful for the necromancer is very limited, and I've brainstormed on how to make it better, but still only have come up blank, any ideas would be great :). This is the one role that I really want to improve, but can't figure out a way for it. (Because same with the hypnotist, if the lookout watches the house a dead person visits, they instantly know it was a necromancer). This is one of the reasons why I decided the seer will see 2 evil roles now, so the werewolves weren't completely outed by their role just because everyone knew there had to be a hypnotist for example.

but a possible buff I see going forward is possibly not allowing the hypnotist's victim's action to be blocked (because they presumably do some hocus pocus on the blocker!). Just seems like a bit of a win more role as opposed to an impact/game-winning/turning role. That being said, it was very fun to make those decisions every night :)

Care to elaborate on this? I don't quite understand what you mean, and I'm genuinely interested to know :)
2018: UNSW B science (physics)/B education

Kicking myself into gear

HSC Physics Topics 1 & 2 Exam!

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #891 on: September 15, 2019, 02:25:10 pm »
Also agree with the necromancer, I knew it had its weaknesses, and I kept with it because "They can't get caught if they do go, so it balances out" but as you said, the number of roles that are actually useful for the necromancer is very limited, and I've brainstormed on how to make it better, but still only have come up blank, any ideas would be great :). This is the one role that I really want to improve, but can't figure out a way for it. (Because same with the hypnotist, if the lookout watches the house a dead person visits, they instantly know it was a necromancer). This is one of the reasons why I decided the seer will see 2 evil roles now, so the werewolves weren't completely outed by their role just because everyone knew there had to be a hypnotist for example.
Could make it so that the necromancer has the option to use the players role at day or night? Wouldn't help much, given most roles aren't relevant during the day though. One of the things that I thought of during the game was how cool it would be for the necro to be able to use the medic to protect someone from a lynch, although that only really makes one more role useable to them.

I think a fair bit of how well the werewolves can do comes down to what combination of support roles there are and when they die. e.g. a necro is potentially more useful to the werewolves if the other support werewolf (or the attack werewolf (if only one support loses their ability when attack dies)) dies earlier in the game as their abilities as other werewolf abilities are more useful than town abilities.

Or maybe to make the necro more useful, town roles could be warped a bit after death? Not really sure how it would work exactly, but maybe something like e.g. for the security guard, if controlled by the necro they'll kill a town that visits the person they're at, or for best friend they could have their role changed so that if necro controls them, they distract their "friend" and that person can't communicate the next day.

blasonduo

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #892 on: September 15, 2019, 02:36:03 pm »
Or maybe to make the necro more useful, town roles could be warped a bit after death? Not really sure how it would work exactly, but maybe something like e.g. for the security guard, if controlled by the necro they'll kill a town that visits the person they're at, or for best friend they could have their role changed so that if necro controls them, they distract their "friend" and that person can't communicate the next day.

I really like this idea, I always wanted the ability for town to be silenced / unable to vote for a day phase, but didn't know how to implement it. The problem is that I'd need something unique for each role, and plus it makes an already complicated game more complicated, so if you have any suggestions, hit me up!

Kicking myself into gear

fun_jirachi

• HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
« Reply #893 on: September 15, 2019, 04:20:35 pm »

I really like this idea, I always wanted the ability for town to be silenced / unable to vote for a day phase, but didn't know how to implement it. The problem is that I'd need something unique for each role, and plus it makes an already complicated game more complicated, so if you have any suggestions, hit me up!

The necromancer inverting the role of a live player instead of doing no action/reusing a dead player's on paper seems slightly busted, but I think is worth a shot to be tested in one game.

For a silence effect, I was thinking possibly introduce another support werewolf? Silencer chooses a person to silence in each day phase, and upon lynching, on next day the whole town can't lynch. If deemed broken (which I think it will, since the werewolves can just strategically sacrifice the silencer to buy valuable time, which is probably most destructive in the midgame), the post-death no lynch effect could take place two day phases after the lynch of the silencer.

Care to elaborate on this? I don't quite understand what you mean, and I'm genuinely interested to know :)

I think that the buff should allow the hypnotist to both know the result of the action of the person they controlled, but also, if for example there was a nitwit/some other blocking role blocking the action in the new house, the hypnotist should be able to always override that block and follow through with the action, while also keeping the fact that you know if you've been hypnotised + the retargeting mechanic. At the moment, the hypnotist gets less and less powerful as the game wears on except for when the werewolves are winning, because you don't mind the role reveal as much when you're winning that much, because the retargeting + lack of town information outweighs that. ie. it's a win more role because it's a lot stronger when you're winning and you use it to win more, not so much when you're losing. Hope this clears it up :)

Spoiler
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]

Guide Links:
Asking good questions

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #894 on: September 15, 2019, 04:59:34 pm »

Again, any feedback would be fantastic! ("Even a, I can't think of anything, this was great" is valuable information for me).

Thanks so much for running this blasonduo! I really, really enjoyed it. I think that having a brute in the game made things a bit more challenging, but it was still very enjoyable and I'm glad there's such a variety of roles because it means that every time the game is played things will work out differently.

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #895 on: September 15, 2019, 05:06:55 pm »
The necromancer inverting the role of a live player instead of doing no action/reusing a dead player's on paper seems slightly busted, but I think is worth a shot to be tested in one game.

For a silence effect, I was thinking possibly introduce another support werewolf? Silencer chooses a person to silence in each day phase, and upon lynching, on next day the whole town can't lynch. If deemed broken (which I think it will, since the werewolves can just strategically sacrifice the silencer to buy valuable time, which is probably most destructive in the midgame), the post-death no lynch effect could take place two day phases after the lynch of the silencer.
Nah not a live player, warping a players role after they’ve died.

I’ve played with silencers like this, but also with a silencer role where people can still lynch, but they lynch blindly, ie. no communication and votes are PMd rather than posted, which is always a bit entertaining (or frustrating).

Loren_T

• Adventurer
« Reply #896 on: September 15, 2019, 06:41:59 pm »
Thanks Blasonduo and everyone! that was crazy ;D
sorry i didn't do much though :-\

fun_jirachi

• HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
« Reply #897 on: September 15, 2019, 07:31:54 pm »
Nah not a live player, warping a players role after they’ve died.

Oh that seems much more fair :D. This should definitely be implemented, I think this is a really good buff without being overpowered :)
Spoiler

Guide Links:
Asking good questions

blasonduo

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #898 on: September 19, 2019, 11:43:18 pm »
I love this idea of the silencer, but I know it'll fall into the category of "I don't want to out a werewolf role, so I'll stay silent" Any ideas on how to limit this?

Am also brainstorming for the necromancer buff :)

Thanks for the feedback guys <3

Kicking myself into gear

blasonduo

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #899 on: December 07, 2019, 01:43:43 pm »
The brisk wind began to blow stronger and stronger as it whipped loose items from the ground. In the chaos in all this, a simple piece of paper was pinned to the wall that read:

ANville's most luxurious town is now offering to house those who need it for the cheap price of $0 !!!
Only 10 people are needed to guarantee that this brand new, totally not reused murder town is brought back the werewolves to life!

1) Bri MT
2) PhoenixxFire
3) insanipi
4)
5)
6)
7)
8.)
9)
10)

Hurry now, before it's too late! If not enough signatures are made by the 8th of December, the magic paper will be void!

Notice: If you cannot check this forum DAILY, please do not sign up, everyone who signs up must actively participate for this game to work.
2nd notice: Absolutely everyone is allowed to join! Just bewere, lying is a fundamental part of the game.

Also, more than 10 people may join the game. 10 is just the minimum.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 04:15:43 pm by insanipi »

Kicking myself into gear