Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 10:54:13 am

Author Topic: JMSS YEAR 10 ENTRANCE EXAM 2019 DISCUSSION  (Read 381390 times)  Share 

SynX

• Trendsetter
  • excelsior to reach for the stars
  • Respect: 0
Re: JMSS YEAR 10 ENTRANCE EXAM 2019 DISCUSSION
« Reply #1530 on: August 28, 2019, 08:45:15 pm »
+1
Hi, I'm trying out for JMSS next yr for grade 10. I want to start studying because I really want to get in. Do you have any specific books or websites or anything that can help me study and practise?
If you are lazy to search everything up again, this is how the test is divided into. Don't stress, the test is very easy to pass, and not so competitive. Just relax and work out problems
1. Numerical reasoning:selective entrance stuff, same in a year. Find some patterns, it is easy at first and gets harder. I finished with 5 minutes to spare. This is similar to most IQ tests.
2. Scientific reasoning: Test your scientific knowledge and logic. Involves physics, chemistry and biology. Not too hard if you regularly learn science like me. Detailed information are find in previous posts. Since it only have 30 questions (while other multi-choice are 50 and 60)
3. Science Prac : write a scientific report. A bit hard for me as I struggle for the formats, similar to the situation in my school.
---Break---4. Mathematics : have 60 questions, but since it is very easy it isn't a problem. I finished with 10 minutes to spare
5. Scientific Essay : Pretty hard for me. Don't try to include everything, but must include important things. Detailed and logical explanation is required. I barely finished that on time.
Other advice:
• Answer every question -- if you don't know it, guess it (obvious tip)
• If you want to skip a question and come back to it, leave a mark next to the question
• Allocate the last 5 minutes to check over answers
• Aim to spend around 1 minute or half a minute for each question
• Aim to be at least halfway when you have half the time remaining
• You can take quick glances at the clock a few times (just so you're aware of how you're going)
oh boy ur in for a ride; heres a list i copied from shadestache a long time ago in a forum far far away( ;) )
- Angles
- Pythagoras
- Trigonometry (SOHCAHTOA)
- Linear Algebra
- Simultaneous Equations
- Linear Relations (Sketching, understanding the different properties)
- Measurement (Surface Area, Volume, Conversion, Area, Perimeter)
- Indices Law
- Surds
- Geometry (Basics behind Congruence, Similarity and Bearings)
- Factorising and Expanding (Make sure you can do these fast)
- Parabolas (Sketching and Properties)
- Quadratic Equations (Nulls Law will be useful)
- Probability (Optional but may save a few seconds in the test if you understand how a certain chart works)

For science:

Chemistry:
Atoms
Chemical Bonds
Chemical Reactions
Nuclear Decay
Radiation
Periodic Table
Reaction Rates
Matter

Physics:
Thermodynamics
Energy
Light
Waves
Sound
Forces
Friction
Motion
Heat
Mechanics
Space
Electricity
Magnetism

Biology:
Animal Cells
Plant Cells
Five Senses
Digestive System
Circulatory System
Nervous System
Muscular System
Endocrine System
Evolution
Classification
Plants
Photosynthesis
Respiration
Enzymes
Genetics
Stuff possible in the tests
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 08:57:26 pm by SynX »
Upward and outward, no matter the cost.

psid16

• Adventurer
« Reply #1531 on: August 28, 2019, 11:57:30 pm »
Hi, I'm trying out for JMSS next yr for grade 10. I want to start studying because I really want to get in. Do you have any specific books or websites or anything that can help me study and practise?
honestly the test is much easier than the shs test so you will be fine with a yr9 knowledge if math and science. dont be like me and over study for it. focus on speed and accuracy and work on being able to write fast

^^^111^^^

• MOTM: JULY 2019
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #1532 on: August 29, 2019, 04:07:16 pm »
The enrollments are coming out in 4-7 days.
I need a cryostat to chill down a bit. Cryogenic tanks will work as well.
Why specifically a cryostat when there are numerous thermostats out there that are possibly more accurate?

Zuha_x

• Adventurer
« Reply #1533 on: August 29, 2019, 05:31:30 pm »
Thank you!!!

heyguys98

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1534 on: August 29, 2019, 06:26:34 pm »
hey guys,
i tried out for selective this year and only got a principal's discretion. im thinking about trying out for jmss. can anyone just like tell me similarities and differences between these two exams. like is it harder or easier?? and also is it too early to start preparing?

Zuha_x

• Adventurer
« Reply #1535 on: August 29, 2019, 06:53:00 pm »
I haven't done the JMSS test yet but I did do the selective test. From what I have heard it very similar and easy. Also I'm preparing for it too so we r on the same page. I'm trying out for JMSS for yr 10 im currently in year 8 which means im doing the test next yr.
Hope this helps!

heyguys98

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1536 on: August 29, 2019, 07:22:39 pm »
cool. have u started preparing? i haven't, but i'm planning to start next week. im not really sure where to start tho. my parents said they'll put me into JAC a bit later but im not sure what type of stuff i can just do at home to start preparing. any ideas???

Gsuper111

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #1537 on: August 29, 2019, 07:34:32 pm »
cool. have u started preparing? i haven't, but i'm planning to start next week. im not really sure where to start tho. my parents said they'll put me into JAC a bit later but im not sure what type of stuff i can just do at home to start preparing. any ideas???
I did the jmss test this year so if you have any questions about it, feel free to PM me

Zuha_x

• Adventurer
« Reply #1538 on: August 29, 2019, 07:58:56 pm »
yea I just started yesterday. I'm starting to go through the year 8 books to fill in the gaps of the stuff idk and next I will move on to the grade 9 books and a bit of the grade 10 books if I have enough time. This is for the mathematics and science. For numerical reasoning im confident in it bc I did the selective test for Mac rob and I got a good score so im fine w that.

Also if anyone has any ideas on how to practise for the writing both the report and essay could u plz pm me

Thanks  :)

Zuha_x

• Adventurer
« Reply #1539 on: August 29, 2019, 08:01:30 pm »
Also, I have started a new forum for the exam for 2021 (so year 8's this yr) so if anyone wants to join convo plz do.
the forums name is JMSS YEAR 10 ENTRANCE EXAM 2021 DISCUSSION. Those who have already done the test plz jump in at anytime and correct me or add anything u want.

Thanks  ;D

^^^111^^^

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1540 on: August 31, 2019, 07:46:03 am »
Guys I’m super scared here. I have no idea if I will get in to Jmss or not  ???
Honestly just hope that we all get in we have tried our hardest, just have to leave it to fate now...

^^^111^^^

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1541 on: August 31, 2019, 03:27:38 pm »
I hope we get in, and I think you can get in because you can already do lots of stuff...
That's not how it works. Extracurricular activities not STEM.
Do you need to chill down a bit? (aka cryostat)
No, what i need is a JMSS offer of entry  ;D
As we are science people, I don't believe in fate, but I do call it probability...
Debatable but don't have enough energy to dispute.
I think I have around of 60% chance getting in...Maybe?
most possibly  :)

Rohan1176

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1542 on: August 31, 2019, 07:54:17 pm »
I know I shouldn't worry about this now because I don't even know if I got in or not, but I'm the guy that stresses over the future, and I was looking at the past JMSS forums and apparently, there is this Maths Methods Test thing that you have to do this year(if you  got in), and that will determine whether you do Methods 1/2 in yr10 or not. Is this true and you do guys have more information regarding?

^^^111^^^

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1543 on: August 31, 2019, 08:27:57 pm »
I know I shouldn't worry about this now because I don't even know if I got in or not, but I'm the guy that stresses over the future, and I was looking at the past JMSS forums and apparently, there is this Maths Methods Test thing that you have to do this year(if you  got in), and that will determine whether you do Methods 1/2 in yr10 or not. Is this true and you do guys have more information regarding?
I think it is tho. According to my friend (breathe123 - sorry to expose u dude) but they will not be asking for information from methods (atleast not too much) but it should just be yr 10 concepts for now. So yh don't worry too much for now hehe (unless probably if you are not accelerated then u might wanna start some concepts from yr 10 (don't go too much deep in, it really should not be that hard). Hope that helps :)

psid16

• Adventurer
« Reply #1544 on: September 01, 2019, 06:40:07 am »
*forgets you have to get in first lmaooo