Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:07:48 am

Author Topic: HSC Chemistry Question Thread  (Read 1040622 times)  Share 

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: HSC Chemistry Question Thread
« Reply #3825 on: June 28, 2020, 01:34:58 pm »
Hi!
Could someone help me with part b i) and ii) of this question about galvanic cell? part bi and ii are pasted in below, but the question stem is attached.
part b
After a period of time, a solid deposit that had formed on the copper electrode was removed and dried. The deposit had a mass of 0.395 g.
i) Calculate the final mass of the nickel electrode.
ii) Calculate the final concentration of the nickel (II) nitrate solution.

Thank you!

eliza.langer

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3826 on: November 16, 2020, 08:05:23 pm »
Hi!

I just started the HSC Chemistry course and we have our first assessment task at which we have to research a gaseous equilibrium system that IS NOT the Haber Process. Does anyone have a really interesting system that I could research?

Thanks!

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #3827 on: November 16, 2020, 08:24:26 pm »
+2
Hi!

I just started the HSC Chemistry course and we have our first assessment task at which we have to research a gaseous equilibrium system that IS NOT the Haber Process. Does anyone have a really interesting system that I could research?

Thanks!

Absolutely - Haber sucks anyway, too energy inefficient, too much greenhouse gas by-product.

A very common one is the decomposition of dinitrogen tetroxide, \(\ce{N2O4 (g)\to 2NO2 (g)}\). This one is nice because one of the two is coloured, and the other isn't. I personally prefer the sublimation of iodine, though it might not count because it's not entirely gaseous, \(\ce{I2 (s)\to I_2 (g)}\). Another cool one is the synthesis of some halide acids, of general form, \(\ce{X2 (g) + H2 (g)\to 2HX (g)}\), usually iodine or bromine since chlorine has an equilibrium that highly favours the products, but I can't seem to find videos of those anywhere...

neha.singh4

• Adventurer
« Reply #3828 on: December 03, 2020, 01:13:13 pm »
Hey guys,
I have recently received my first Chemistry assessment task for Year 12. It requires us to use your understanding of dissolution of ionic compounds in water and Le Chatelier’s principle research to remove toxins from native indigenous foods. Although I understand the nature of the task, I'm struggling to find some information on it since it's apart of the new Chemistry syllabus and there is limited resources available.

The topic is 'Indigenous Chemistry'. I'm struggling to:
1) Find a toxic Aboriginal food (except for cycads since we're not allowed to do that)
2) The detoxification process of the food
3) The correlation the food has to solution equilibria, Le Chatelier's principle and dissolution of ionic compounds.

If anyone can provide any sort of information to get the ball rolling for my assessment, I would greatly appreciate it!!!

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #3829 on: December 03, 2020, 01:36:36 pm »
+2
I recommend looking up Indigenous chemistry with search terms like "seeds" "toxic" and maybe even tools like Morah stones used for food preparation.

species to look at if you stay really stuck
Dioscorea bulbifera, Beilschmiedia bancroftii and Castanospermum australe

I hope this helps!

neha.singh4

• Adventurer
« Reply #3830 on: December 11, 2020, 08:45:15 pm »
I'm kind of stuck on how to write a chemical equation for a toxin found in black beans that is being leached in water:
This is the toxin- C8H15NO4 (Castanospermine)
It should be a reversible reaction.
Also I'm a little unsure as to what states it would be too (eg. gas, liquid, aqueous, solid)

blackcoffee2.718281828

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #3831 on: August 22, 2021, 11:18:53 am »
heya, confused QCE student here struggling with the HSC 2020 paper. this question style has completely slipped my brain oops. can't even imagine how you'd go about answering this.

Equal volumes of two 0.04 molL−1 solutions were mixed together. Which pair of solutions would give the greatest mass of precipitate?
A. Ba(OH)2 and MgCl2
B. Ba(OH)2 and MgSO4
C. Ba(OH)2 and NaCl
D. Ba(OH)2 and Na2SO4

PS this is my first post ever let's hope all goes well:)

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
« Reply #3832 on: August 22, 2021, 01:59:39 pm »
+2
Welcome to the forums (nice name btw)!

You can instantly rule out C since it won't produce any precipitate.

Writing out the chemical equations and using solubility rules will tell you that the relevant precipitates are magnesium hydroxide and barium sulfate. Since this is a multiple choice question, it's okay to cut corners here and just realise that A and D produce only one of the previously mentioned precipitates while B produces both (the key here is equal volumes of solutions, and writing out the equations will show you that for each option the precipitates are produced in equal ratios). Hence, the answer is B.
Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions