Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 19, 2024, 07:19:04 pm

Author Topic: Monash Law  (Read 2209 times)  Share 

BlameTheKulaks

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +5
Monash Law
« on: November 18, 2018, 08:25:33 am »
+1
Hey guys,
How likely do you think it is that i could get into the Arts/Law at monash which is 98 clearly-in, with an Atar of around 96-97 + subject adjustments?

2017: Psychology [37]
2018: English [50], Revolutions [48], Legal [44], Philosophy [41], Global Politics [43]
ATAR: 98.95

2019: LLB (Hons) / BA @ Monash
Tutoring French and Russian revs - PM if interested!

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Monash Law
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 01:08:29 pm »
Hey guys,
How likely do you think it is that i could get into the Arts/Law at monash which is 98 clearly-in, with an Atar of around 96-97 + subject adjustments?

Since you didn't have any specifics I can't say for sure but I would think you have a good chance of getting in if you get an ATAR around that. Even if you don't end up getting an offer it is possible to study at monash (e.g. Arts) then transfer to Arts/Law if you have decent enough uni scores - heaps of people do this.

stephh1

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 11:42:42 am »
Since you didn't have any specifics I can't say for sure but I would think you have a good chance of getting in if you get an ATAR around that. Even if you don't end up getting an offer it is possible to study at monash (e.g. Arts) then transfer to Arts/Law if you have decent enough uni scores - heaps of people do this.

Is this possible to do even if you don't achieve the 90 ATAR requirement?

Springyboy

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 11:58:27 am »
Is this possible to do even if you don't achieve the 90 ATAR requirement?

Yep, as long as you get into arts and meet the English pre-req then you should be able to do it as long as you get around a 75+ WAM in your Arts units

stephh1

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 12:00:32 pm »
Yep, as long as you get into arts and meet the English pre-req then you should be able to do it as long as you get around a 75+ WAM in your Arts units

Oh okay that's good to hear, however how come on the Monash University website it includes that the Bachelor of Arts is not considered as a pathway into Laws?

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 01:09:06 pm »
+1
Oh okay that's good to hear, however how come on the Monash University website it includes that the Bachelor of Arts is not considered as a pathway into Laws?
From my understanding the "pathways to law" are not the same as transferring into law.

This is the link for pathways to law https://www.monash.edu/law/future-students/undergraduate/pathways/new and it is more of a guarantee(they only need to average 60% ) to get into law for disadvantaged students. However, yes you do need a 90.00 atar for this pathway.

stephh1

• Trailblazer
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 01:31:58 pm »
From my understanding the "pathways to law" are not the same as transferring into law.

This is the link for pathways to law https://www.monash.edu/law/future-students/undergraduate/pathways/new and it is more of a guarantee(they only need to average 60% ) to get into law for disadvantaged students. However, yes you do need a 90.00 atar for this pathway.

I'm just confused because if transferring into laws and pathways are fairly different, then how would individuals whom are willing to transfer be accepted as they would not prioritise them first (even if they achieve the WAM)

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 08:01:03 pm »
+3
Note: I have little expertise in Law, but this is all purely my opinions + 2 mins of research, so don't take anything I say as gospel.
how would individuals whom are willing to transfer be accepted as they would not prioritise them first (even if they achieve the WAM)
There are still ways to ensure you get prioritised. I assume that you can still take Law units as electives as an Arts student, even without being an Arts (Law pathway) student, as well as some other pathways that I'm probably not aware of. I'd check what alternatives you have with Monash Connect or at the Caulfield campus when December 17 (Change of Preference Day) rolls around.

Even if all goes downhill (which I hope not; touch wood), a postgrad course such as the JD is another way to tackle the world of law and you can try other things you didn't think you could do until then. Alternatively, you could do Law elsewhere (e.g. Deakin) and try an external transfer! They usually get some type of priority, given they've usually had some solid foundations in law already.

Either way, I wish you luck and hope you can get into Monash Law first try.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread