Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 19, 2024, 09:43:52 pm

Author Topic: Conceptual/memorisation subjects in Uni Science  (Read 4779 times)  Share 

TheAspiringDoc

Conceptual/memorisation subjects in Uni Science
« on: October 15, 2018, 04:29:33 pm »
Hey can anyone tell me how relevant memorisation and conceptual understanding are to different science subjects in uni? For example, is there a big emphasis on memorising pathways/mechanisms/definitions/structures in anatomy, biochemistry, chemistry, psychology or physiology in uni?

I'm asking because I think my learning strengths are memorisation and understanding mechanisms (e.g. transcription/translation), and I'm thinking about what sciences to do.

Thanks  :)

qwdfbn1996

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
Re: Conceptual/memorisation subjects in Uni Science
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 05:57:20 pm »
+1
Probably a mix of both in most subjects but if I had to pick one or the other: (memorising as the stuff you need to really sit down and rote learn, conceptual as the stuff you need to try and understand and once understood aren't as easily forgotten)
anatomy- memorising
biochem- 50-50
chem- conceptual
psychology- memorising
physiology- conceptual (maybe 50-50)
the maths and physics subjects would probably be more conceptual

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Conceptual/memorisation subjects in Uni Science
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 06:12:18 pm »
+1
Bio:  very similar to VCE bio but with extra bits of information here and there + plant life cycle + basic classification of organisms

Combination of understanding and memorisation.  Limited application.  Most memorisation of all my subjects.

advanced chemistry:
Expands on yr 11&12 chem

Mainly understanding with limited memorisation and some application. 

Maths (I did 1020 (didn't study spec level) & 1030(after spec level)):
Almost entirely understanding and application - especially for 1030. Need to know some definitions but are encouraged to learn them through understanding and derivation