Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 19, 2024, 09:47:32 pm

Author Topic: B Science (Physics) (statistics) with General Maths?  (Read 8796 times)  Share 

Musa

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
B Science (Physics) (statistics) with General Maths?
« on: September 04, 2016, 08:05:21 pm »
i've regretfully picked general maths over 2u/extension 1&2 and am thinking of including physics and stat for my majors for uni. I'm trying to catch up on at least 2u and got hold of the cambridge prelim and hsc textbooks. I just want to know, how hard would physics and stat be with only general maths or a moderate understanding of 2u. I also don't do HSC Physics

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: B Science (Physics) (statistics) with General Maths?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 08:17:54 pm »
i've regretfully picked general maths over 2u/extension 1&2 and am thinking of including physics and stat for my majors for uni. I'm trying to catch up on at least 2u and got hold of the cambridge prelim and hsc textbooks. I just want to know, how hard would physics and stat be with only general maths or a moderate understanding of 2u. I also don't do HSC Physics
I'm really sorry, but I have to throw you the bad news on this one. This is going to be unrealistically hard.

I never say that anything is impossible, but if you plan to do physics and/or stats at uni with general maths then it's going to be extremely intense. Whilst prerequisites are still not a thing, universities will assume that you have a minimum knowledge of Mathematics Extension 1 in entering these disciplines.The mathematics you encounter is going to be nothing like what is taught in general. The one tiny edge of 1% you have over them is that you have exposure to simple statistics.

Most of the universities don't regard "general maths" as suitable for any discipline that cannot avoid maths altogether. You will have to go through both 2U and Extension 1 in a matter of 4 months to have a chance of calling yourself on track.

You will also probably have to undergo a physics bridging course. Missing out on HSC physics is persuadable (heaps of content is irrelevant to university physics), but if even the bridging course is put aside, there's not much that can really be said anymore.

Musa

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 08:40:59 pm »
I'm really sorry, but I have to throw you the bad news on this one. This is going to be unrealistically hard.

I never say that anything is impossible, but if you plan to do physics and/or stats at uni with general maths then it's going to be extremely intense. Whilst prerequisites are still not a thing, universities will assume that you have a minimum knowledge of Mathematics Extension 1 in entering these disciplines.The mathematics you encounter is going to be nothing like what is taught in general. The one tiny edge of 1% you have over them is that you have exposure to simple statistics.

Most of the universities don't regard "general maths" as suitable for any discipline that cannot avoid maths altogether. You will have to go through both 2U and Extension 1 in a matter of 4 months to have a chance of calling yourself on track.

You will also probably have to undergo a physics bridging course. Missing out on HSC physics is persuadable (heaps of content is irrelevant to university physics), but if even the bridging course is put aside, there's not much that can really be said anymore.

Thanks for the response! note taken. If is still go through with trying to catch up, are there any topics in 2u/ext 1 that aren't that important for either stat/phys or topics worth skipping?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 08:57:13 pm »
Thanks for the response! note taken. If is still go through with trying to catch up, are there any topics in 2u/ext 1 that aren't that important for either stat/phys or topics worth skipping?
Due to the diversity of your choice the only thing you can skip is geometry (and possibly the useless binomial theorem proofs)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 12:15:13 am »
+1

Hey Musa! Welcome to the forums! ;D

So I'll start by saying, having done first year Physics courses, you don't need HSC Physics. Like, sure it helps, and doing some light reading of some material from the course may very well be extremely beneficial. But it's definitely not mandatory, with some wider reading, you can make that work for sure!

I'll agree with Rui though, in that the mathematical jump will be intense. A Bachelor of Science with a Physics major will assume you know calculus and algebra like you know your times tables; you'll receive no instruction in those areas. General Math won't prepare you well for either of those. I won't lie; it is a big challenge.

That said, you can totally do it.

It won't be easy by any means; the stuff you will need to know extremely well is arguably much harder/more complex than anything you have learned in General Mathematics 2. But, if you are willing to spend your big break hitting the books, doing lots of practice, essentially self teaching a solid amount of a 2 year course, then it is definitely possible. It is up to you to ask yourself: How willing am I to catch up? How badly do I want this?

All of that said, you don't necessarily need to stick to the 2U/3U courses to learn this stuff (although it provides a good guide). If you can become skilled with the following concepts:

- Function Theory
- Logarithms and Exponentials
- Trigonometric Functions
- Algebraic Manipulation
- Differentiation
- Integration
- Probability (although this is retaught in stats courses, for the most part)

Then to a lesser extent, Sequences and Series, but those seven concepts are central to a solid mathematical skill set at university :)
You can do it. But accept that it will be exceedingly difficult. Up for it?  :)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 07:58:27 am »
- Function Theory
- Logarithms and Exponentials
- Trigonometric Functions
- Algebraic Manipulation
- Differentiation
- Integration
- Probability (although this is retaught in stats courses, for the most part)
I'd keep probability in there though; better knowing it than not. (Permutations and combinations is probably the safer thing to say 'this is retaught' and let it slide).

The binomial theorem itself falls under algebraic manipulation but it should be made a bit more clearer. (@ Musa though, like I said above the useless binomial theorem proofs can be thrown out.)

Whilst the way it's taught in the HSC is elementary, I'd also advise reviewing the applications of calculus topic, at least the motion components though.

Series definitely for statistics. Need to know how to handle discrete random variables. (What I'm more uncertain on is induction.)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 11:10:41 am »
I'd keep probability in there though; better knowing it than not. (Permutations and combinations is probably the safer thing to say 'this is retaught' and let it slide).

True, but it is explicitly retaught (albeit quickly) at UNSW at least ;)

Whilst the way it's taught in the HSC is elementary, I'd also advise reviewing the applications of calculus topic, at least the motion components though.

Good point, would prove a good warm up for university Physics :)

Series definitely for statistics. Need to know how to handle discrete random variables. (What I'm more uncertain on is induction.)

Very true, but Series is re-taught in Year 1B for most math courses if absolutely necessary :)

I think the important thing to remember is that mature-age students enter these degrees, many of which have never done any mathematics beyond Stage 5 equivalent algebra. They survive, with lots of hard work, and you can too ;D

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 01:09:58 pm »
True, but it is explicitly retaught (albeit quickly) at UNSW at least ;)

Good point, would prove a good warm up for university Physics :)

Very true, but Series is re-taught in Year 1B for most math courses if absolutely necessary :)

I think the important thing to remember is that mature-age students enter these degrees, many of which have never done any mathematics beyond Stage 5 equivalent algebra. They survive, with lots of hard work, and you can too ;D
Are you sure with the series? When I went into Riemann sums (for math1A) they just assumed we knew everything about series

Unless they take discrete maths, where AP and GP are taught separately

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 01:16:51 pm »

Are you sure with the series? When I went into Riemann sums (for math1A) they just assumed we knew everything about series

Unless they take discrete maths, where AP and GP are taught separately

I was retaught very quickly (a few minutes) in Math 1B, perhaps a lecturer choice?