Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 19, 2024, 03:24:48 pm

Author Topic: [Monash BSc] Choosing a major  (Read 6551 times)  Share 

Orson

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +21
[Monash BSc] Choosing a major
« on: September 14, 2015, 12:02:19 pm »
Hi everyone! I'm not sure what sort of major I should do next year if I get into BSc at MU next year. I'm aiming to get into post gradu- ate medicine (lols I know) and I don't know if this should influence my choice of major.

I know I have to do the prerequisites (UoM and MU), but does my major also have to be around that field?

So far I've thought about:
- Pure Mathematics
- Mathematics
- Physics
- Pharmacology

Keep in mind that I need to keep up a really high GPA (and WAM). As you can see, I'm really into in math and physics, and pharmacology just seems interesting.

What are you thoughts?

Thanks!
2015: VCE
2016: BCivEng(Hons)/BCom at MU

Feel free to PM me for your engineering queries

ChickenCh0wM1en

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +102
Re: [Monash BSc] Choosing a major
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 01:50:15 pm »
+4
Hi everyone! I'm not sure what sort of major I should do next year if I get into BSc at MU next year. I'm aiming to get into post gradu- ate medicine (lols I know) and I don't know if this should influence my choice of major.

I know I have to do the prerequisites (UoM and MU), but does my major also have to be around that field?

So far I've thought about:
- Pure Mathematics
- Mathematics
- Physics
- Pharmacology

Keep in mind that I need to keep up a really high GPA (and WAM). As you can see, I'm really into in math and physics, and pharmacology just seems interesting.

What are you thoughts?

Thanks!

If you have the prereqs (at the moment) you don't need to have a major in that field. I know you're pretty keen but see how you go in BSc next year and the following years.
I know I had majors which I thought I'd love which I actually turned out hating (i.e. Microbiology). Again as others have reiterated, do what you're strong at and what you enjoy.
BSc (2015), MD1 (2016)
Tutoring in 2016: http://www.tutorfinder.com.au/tutors/detail.php?TutorID=78301
Chuck a PM if interested :)

Available for tutoring on the summer holidays for university subjects or VCe.
Also tutoring for the Melbourne uni MMIs (medical/physiotherapy interviews)

Please don't PM me for lecture slides or recordings. I don't have them anymore.

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 06:13:41 pm »
+2
Wait it out, see what happens. I walked into it wanting pure maths and geo, now I want chem and stats.

Curiously, why med if only 1/4 of your currently interested majors is directly related? (Have a feeling I've asked this before... but whatevs, I'll build this reputation, cuz me forgets)

Orson

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 11:50:17 pm »
Curiously, why med if only 1/4 of your currently interested majors is directly related? (Have a feeling I've asked this before... but whatevs, I'll build this reputation, cuz me forgets)

Great question. My brother also asked me this...

To be honest, I'm scared that if I do a major in something unknown (Chem or Bio), I won't do well. I haven't studied any Chem or Bio since year 10, and I don't think my performance on those could be used as a scale (haha). I'm interested in both, but I don't want to kill my chances before I even start.

I'm pretty strong in Maths and Physics (I know I didn't do Spesh), and I feel I'm more confident in those areas than going into something completely new. I know that if I get into post grad med I'll have to do subjects in that field (obviously), but I'll deal with that then. I have to focus on getting a good GPA or WAM or whatever to keep my option of post grad med alive.

Thanks as always!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 11:51:58 pm by Orson »

Orson

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 11:56:14 pm »
If you have the prereqs (at the moment) you don't need to have a major in that field. I know you're pretty keen but see how you go in BSc next year and the following years.

Yeah, I've been looking at alternatives in case I mess up my first semester and wreck my chances of keeping up a good GPA. I guess it's like every semester is a level in a game, and you only have one life.

I know I had majors which I thought I'd love which I actually turned out hating (i.e. Microbiology). Again as others have reiterated, do what you're strong at and what you enjoy.

So you can change majors? That's nice to know!

Thanks for your response!

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 07:25:28 pm »
+1
Great question. My brother also asked me this...

To be honest, I'm scared that if I do a major in something unknown (Chem or Bio), I won't do well. I haven't studied any Chem or Bio since year 10, and I don't think my performance on those could be used as a scale (haha). I'm interested in both, but I don't want to kill my chances before I even start.

I'm pretty strong in Maths and Physics (I know I didn't do Spesh), and I feel I'm more confident in those areas than going into something completely new. I know that if I get into post grad med I'll have to do subjects in that field (obviously), but I'll deal with that then. I have to focus on getting a good GPA or WAM or whatever to keep my option of post grad med alive.

Thanks as always!

If you're thinking of doing MD at UoM, there are pre-reqs to get in - which are second year physiology, biochem and anatomy (covered in developmental biology at Monash). Obviously to do these, you'll need first year biology, and first year chemistry is recommended for biochem. I've also heard of Monash opening pre-reqs for their post-grad med course, but I can't remember what they are.

On the plus side, first year units count half as much to your WAM, so there's a little incentive to give chem and bio a try. ;) If it turns out they aren't for you, you don't have to continue them, either - I did a whole unit for physics and geology before I decided to nope out of there. :P