Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 19, 2024, 02:39:37 pm

Author Topic: Need help with selecting a major for bachelor of science  (Read 5800 times)  Share 

Molly.K

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Presbyterian Ladies' College
Need help with selecting a major for bachelor of science
« on: January 30, 2015, 05:28:12 pm »
I'm trying to select majors that will benefit me if I choose to transfer to Biomedical Science and I'm tossing up between Animal Biology and Chemistry and Materials Science, I've already chosen 3 majors. What one would be most beneficial as I want to go into medicine in the near future?

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
Re: Need help with selecting a major for bachelor of science
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 05:39:22 pm »
... I feel like that whilst all of these will have a link to medical science, you've missed the majors that will benefit a medical doctor more. If by medicine you mean becoming a medical doctor and not just medical research (even if you do mean the latter), I reckon a more human biology unit would be more beneficial. Have you considered majors such as physiology, pathology or biochemistry?

Molly.K

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 05:54:48 pm »
I've chosen human biology and cell biology which have units of what you have mentioned and I believe those are the most beneficial. I've also chosen mathematical modelling as another major though I don't see any other majors that would benefit me from what there is left to choose from and I need a maximum of 4 majors unless it means I can have up to 4 majors or less?

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 05:56:46 pm »
I've chosen human biology and cell biology which have units of what you have mentioned and I believe those are the most beneficial. I've also chosen mathematical modelling as another major though I don't see any other majors that would benefit me from what there is left to choose from and I need a maximum of 4 majors unless it means I can have up to 4 majors or less?

Okay, I think you've made the error that 1 third year unit = 1 major. This isn't true - a major is instead a collection of units that you take. Refer to your university handbook to find out what collection of units you need for each major. In one degree, you shouldn't be able to fit more than 3 majors.

Molly.K

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 06:20:26 pm »
I'm aware that a major is a collection of units though as I'm applying through the enrollment process it says that I can have a maximum of 4 majors, I decided to just choose 3. Maybe it varies from universities, I'll have a look at my university handbook anyway and thanks for the help.

hobbitle

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +110
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 11:55:26 am »
I take it you aren't at UoM, as you can only have 1 major.
2008 - 2010 | Bachelor of Production @ Victorian College of the Arts
2013 - 2015 | Bachelor of Science @ UoM (Bioengineering Systems)
2016 - 2017 | Master of Engineering (Biomedical) @ UoM