Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 19, 2024, 02:00:05 pm

Author Topic: Monash BScAdvHons vs Melbourne BSc  (Read 7924 times)  Share 

Reflectia

• Non-Student
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Monash BScAdvHons vs Melbourne BSc
« on: January 19, 2012, 09:29:59 pm »
Hello,

I was wondering if I could get some opinions on BSciAdvHons at Monash vs BSc at U Melbourne, with an interest in life sciences?

Thanks!

Edit: Posted on relevant forum, sorry for the mistake! Please close the thread  :)

Mod Edit: I haven't closed the thread but rather merged the two topics together.  I won't remove the two posts though because one of them has a respect given to it.

- Gloamglozer
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 12:11:26 am by Gloamglozer »

Reflectia

• Non-Student
  • Fresh Poster
Re: Monash BScAdvHons vs Melbourne BSc
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 11:34:27 pm »
+1
Hello,

I was wondering if I could get some opinions on BSciAdvHons at Monash vs BSc at U of Melbourne, with an interest in life sciences? I have an offer for BSciAdvHons, but might decide to try going for irregular admission on U of Melbourne, as it seems more stringent, and if I have to maintain a particular standard for Honors anyway...

Thanks!

mark_alec

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +30
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 11:35:08 pm »
Depends on: what your potential research interests are, since both universities have different focuses. Consider logistics. Also consider whether you are fine taking another year to do an MSc at Melbourne (though you can still do honours through the medical school I think).

TrueTears

• TT
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 11:38:57 pm »
Hey, firstly, I love your username lol, it's the name of the theme song to True Tears!

Now to answer your question, I'm not particularly informed in the life sciences area however, just generally, undergraduate degrees (Bsc) are quite similar b/w Monash and UoM in terms of prestige, however if you do intend to continue with honours/masters, it would be better if you do it at UoM, UoM definitely has higher reputation than Monash in higher academia (not sure if this is the case for life sciences though)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 11:41:05 pm by TrueTears »
PhD @ MIT (Economics).

Interested in asset pricing, econometrics, and social choice theory.

iamtom

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Indubitably dubious
  • Respect: +35
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 11:49:28 pm »
Hey, firstly, I love your username lol, it's the name of the theme song to True Tears!

Now to answer your question, I'm not particularly informed in the life sciences area however, just generally, undergraduate degrees (Bsc) are quite similar b/w Monash and UoM in terms of prestige, however if you do intend to continue with honours/masters, it would be better if you do it at UoM, UoM definitely has higher reputation than Monash in higher academia (not sure if this is the case for life sciences though)

It is not for Melbourne; according to several teachers at MHS, Monash is better for chemistry & life sciences.
e: Whether or not that has any credibility with you guys is up to you, but generally the MHS Science faculty is right...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 11:51:08 pm by iamtom »
2013: Wizardry, life.

Aurelian

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +79
  • School: Melbourne Grammar School
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 12:06:58 am »
Not that you should ever pay too much attention to 'rankings', but it could be of interest to you that Melbourne is ranked 27th in the world for life sciences, where Monash is not within the top 50 - according to the Times Higher Education rankings, that is.
VCE 2010-2011:
English | Philosophy | Latin | Chemistry | Physics | Methods | UMEP Philosophy
ATAR: 99.95

2012-2014: BSc (Chemistry/Philosophy) @ UniMelb

Currently taking students for summer chemistry and physics tutoring! PM for details.

Reflectia

• Non-Student
  • Fresh Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 01:31:19 am »
Depends on: what your potential research interests are, since both universities have different focuses. Consider logistics. Also consider whether you are fine taking another year to do an MSc at Melbourne (though you can still do honours through the medical school I think).

Is there no honours for U of Melbourne BSc? I was under the impression that there was...

If you mean 'future plans/hopes' by 'research interests', I'd like to do further studies (grad school)/then do research in molecular and cell biology/biochemistry.

;)

This is what I heard from an acquaintance or two, but I'm not too sure how reliable that is...so here I am!

Although I'm an Australian citizen, I come from Hong Kong, so I don't have too much knowledge on Australian universities. :S

It is not for Melbourne; according to several teachers at MHS, Monash is better for chemistry & life sciences.
e: Whether or not that has any credibility with you guys is up to you, but generally the MHS Science faculty is right...

...what's MHS...?

Not that you should ever pay too much attention to 'rankings', but it could be of interest to you that Melbourne is ranked 27th in the world for life sciences, where Monash is not within the top 50 - according to the Times Higher Education rankings, that is.

Not that too much attention should be paid to rankings at all, but this is also corroborated by QS (U Melb 25th, Monash 50+), but I'm not sure how much this matters to an undergraduate program or the difference in prestige.

Is there anything special about a BSc Advanced Honours that's worth passing over a relatively better institution in preparation for graduate school, if Melbourne>Monash is indeed the case?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 01:55:50 am by Reflectia »