Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 05:18:16 pm

Author Topic: teaching  (Read 14066 times)  Share 

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
Re: teaching
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2012, 06:04:20 pm »
Irrelevant, but it says you mark for VCAA in your sig - are you a teacher or can they be marked externally from schools?
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

walkec

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2012, 06:42:57 pm »

To become a teacher you can either do a full undergraduate degree or what is essentially a postgraduate diploma of one year (a couple of different options exist for the postgrad). You do two subjects per semester on theory of learning and teaching, plus two subjects on what you want to teach (ie what your undergraduate studies qualify you in).

Please note this is the qualification for secondary teaching! But secondary qualifications allow you to teach primary as well (it doesn't work the other way around, though).

So say I was to enrol in a BA/BEd (Secondary) at Monash, I'd be qualified to also teach primary?

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2012, 06:52:55 pm »
I have the Postgrad Dip in secondary (one year) and am qualified for primary - my understanding is that it's the same for every secondary qualification. I don't think a primary school would hire me as quickly as they would someone will specifically primary training, though!

I'm not teaching full-time this year - but to be an examiner you have to have experience teaching the 3/4 subject.
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Available for private tutoring in English and Legal Studies.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!

walkec

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2012, 09:10:51 pm »
Today I finished a weeks work experience at a primary school. I chose to complete my placement at a primary school because I have always been really passionate about teaching, but I wasn't sure how I'd deal with the little ones. I just finished writing up my report and it has made me think I'd still like teaching secondary more. This is despite my mum trying to convince me to do primary because of the whole attitude thing in secondary (it is worth noting that she works at a primary school). It's not like I'm not patient or anything, I LOVED my work experience, but I think in the long run I wouldn't be able to hack having to simplify everything!

So, I feel it is necessary for me to reignite the primary teaching VS secondary teaching debate! Any reasons why you'd pick one over the other would be much appreciated.