Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:54:32 pm

Author Topic: VCE English Exam 2020 - Discussion, Questions, Potential Solutions  (Read 11117 times)

steenasonson21

• Adventurer
Re: VCE English Exam 2020 - Discussion, Questions, Potential Solutions
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2020, 06:15:58 pm »
from what i've heard from past examiners, you only have to examine one. so you should be fine?

Really?! Where did you hear that from? Are you sure because I'm pretty sure they would put both of them there for a reason righhhtt?  :o

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2020, 06:30:41 pm »
How picky are the examiners about visuals...I might have forgotten to analyze one of them but I had a reasonably strong analysis. Would I be having false hope for a 8 out of 10?  :-[

My teacher says if there’s multiple only pick 2 but if there’s 2 engage with both, I did this but the second one was to a lesser extent whilst the first was it’s own paragraph supporting an argument.

I don’t think it matter though- an 8 is definitely still possible (at least I think so).
My avatar sums up life.
“I’m free to be the greatest one alive” ~ Sia
╔══════════════════════════════╗
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0
╚══════════════════════════════╝

02hi

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2020, 07:02:36 pm »
i think for my comparative i repeated my self for two bodies. Like i had a topic sentence in the first one and then i had the 3rd one that is basically talking about the same thing. Is this horrible and did i completely flop???

Genshai

• Trailblazer
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2020, 07:22:34 pm »
Really?! Where did you hear that from? Are you sure because I'm pretty sure they would put both of them there for a reason righhhtt?  :o

on the vate lectures, the teacher said that only one was necessary (and she was a past examiner). however, with this exam having only one article it may be different? If you check the examiners report (maybe 2019?) they might have something.
2019: Biology [40]
2020: English [35], Methods [27], Art [36], Revs [38], Chem [29]

ATAR: 87.85

nirgun.kaur

• Adventurer
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2020, 07:23:01 pm »
What texts did you do?

Section A: The Women of Troy
Section B: The Dressmaker and The Crucible
:)
[2019]: Methods
[2020]: English, Chemistry, Biology, Psychology, Health & Human Development
2021: *fingers cross* Bach of Biomed or Science @anywhere in melb <3

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2020, 07:58:52 pm »
It's not crucial to analyse a second image to score in the higher range (7-10) - though it's helpful the higher in the range that you go, I think. The criteria point is concerned with your ability to analyse written and visual language, and so long as you address one of the images - then you're demonstrating competency in analysing visual language.

Doing it again obviously demonstrates it again, which could be useful. But you aren't an automatic 6/10 for forgetting an image.

Put it aside and move on to the next exams! Well done everyone :)
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2020, 09:48:36 am »
It's not crucial to analyse a second image to score in the higher range (7-10) - though it's helpful the higher in the range that you go, I think. The criteria point is concerned with your ability to analyse written and visual language, and so long as you address one of the images - then you're demonstrating competency in analysing visual language.

Doing it again obviously demonstrates it again, which could be useful. But you aren't an automatic 6/10 for forgetting an image.

Put it aside and move on to the next exams! Well done everyone :)
If you do ~1 sentence on each one... have I just thrown away my chances of getting 18+/20 for that one?!
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

uwuuu

• Adventurer
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2020, 09:50:32 am »
Hi I stuffed up my language analysis I think. I accidentally misread the speakers name's last name to be Warwick and I've addressed his first name throughout my essay. Will I lose marks for this?

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2020, 10:19:06 am »
If you do ~1 sentence on each one... have I just thrown away my chances of getting 18+/20 for that one?!

My teacher always said to dedicate a paragraph to an image but frame it as supporting an argument
My avatar sums up life.
“I’m free to be the greatest one alive” ~ Sia
╔══════════════════════════════╗
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0
╚══════════════════════════════╝

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2020, 10:48:08 am »
Probably depends how good those sentences were!

I think it would have been better to do more, but I also still think 18 is in the realm of possibility depending on the rest of the piece.
Hi I stuffed up my language analysis I think. I accidentally misread the speakers name's last name to be Warwick and I've addressed his first name throughout my essay. Will I lose marks for this?
Won't impact you at all.

My teacher always said to dedicate a paragraph to an image but frame it as supporting an argument
This is fine, but not a requirement for high marks. There are many ways to skin a cat!

rkjthguakj

• Forum Regular
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2020, 11:35:31 am »
I personally found the exam prompts easier than expected (except for perhaps Section C). I'm glad to hear that there seems to be a general consensus that this year's prompts were easier than expected.

I don't have many regrets for LA, I was just a bit caught off guard to find one article to analyse but I guess that made all my practice the more worth it. I don't think I missed out on too much, or at least it should've been enough. I only spent 45 minutes on my essay, so I'm worried it might not be up to scratch with everybody else's.

Section A for Wordsworth honestly gave us the easiest prompts they could've given us. So all that stress over analysing his use of simplistic language thank god did not appear on the exam. I feel satisfied with how I went but now I'm second-guessing if I could've engaged with the prompt better or put in more evidence.

Section B for The Crucible and The Dressmaker was ok but could've been better. The prompts were duable. I personally find this section the hardest to write and I didn't get to a conclusion. I think I definitely could've done better but given the time with my other essays, I can't complain too much.

Overall, a 9/10 experience. I hope everyone else went okay!
2019: Business Management
2020: English | Methods | Economics | Legal Studies | Global Politics
2021: Bachelor of Commerce @ UniMelb
2022- 2024: Bachelor of Arts @ UniMelb | Diploma in Languages (Chinese)

uwuuu

• Adventurer
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2020, 04:03:51 pm »
Hi, I accidentlly addressed the language analysis speaker by his first name. Will I lose marks for this?

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2020, 05:30:48 pm »
Hi, I accidentlly addressed the language analysis speaker by his first name. Will I lose marks for this?
No.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2020, 06:30:26 pm »
I've removed the copies of the exam that were attached, as VCAA exams are subject to copyright just like other exams. It's fine to discuss the prompts and exam and all that, but we've received directions from VCAA previously to not allow actual scans of the exam to be uploaded and accessed.

oriyqais

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2020, 06:38:03 pm »
Hi
does anyone know what will happen if you forget to tick the box of the selected text in the Exam?