Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 09:11:42 am

Author Topic: 2020 Biology Exam  (Read 36355 times)

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
Re: 2020 Biology Exam
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2020, 06:47:45 pm »
I think I might have screwed up big time because I put denisovans branching off heidelbergensis haha

Now that I think about it I feel like my answers weren't specific enough yikes

Yeah... I also messed that up I think. I put them diverging at the same point that H. sapiens and H. neanderthalensis diverged, rather than on the neanderthal line. But hopefully, I get a mark for my justification.

I also feel like there were some answers that I could have made more specific, especially the question about two reasons populations may not have the gene for lactose digestion. I'm just glad it's over and most of the exam was fairly straight-forward.

Isaac S

• Trailblazer
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2020, 08:35:17 pm »
For the question that asked why scientists aren't sure of where Homo Sapiens should be placed on the phylogenetic tree, what did you guys say?

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2020, 08:38:29 pm »
For the question that asked why scientists aren't sure of where Homo Sapiens should be placed on the phylogenetic tree, what did you guys say?
I talked about the incomplete fossil record and how scientists have different interpretations of the same evidence.

My friend compared the Out-of-Africa and replacement models for Homo sapien evolution though, so I'm not sure if that was the right way to go about it...

Isaac S

• Trailblazer
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2020, 08:42:26 pm »
I talked about the incomplete fossil record and how scientists have different interpretations of the same evidence.

My friend compared the Out-of-Africa and replacement models for Homo sapien evolution though, so I'm not sure if that was the right way to go about it...

Yeah, I compared the out of africa hypothesis with the multi regional hypothesis so I wasn't sure if that was correct or not.

WhatisaMeMe

• Forum Regular
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2020, 08:50:16 pm »
hey guys was the first question the page where it asked u to fill in the table with mRNA function and stuff? (of short answer) just double checking
ATAR:Hopefully 95+

WhatisaMeMe

• Forum Regular
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2020, 08:52:07 pm »

yeah that is what exactly what i wrote too. for the first question of multichoice did u write channel protein? i am scared i referred to the wrong protein

bamboozled

• Adventurer
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2020, 08:56:15 pm »
What did you guys put for the multiple choice question on enzymes? It was on the first page. Something about Substrate A and B?? Was substrate B an irreversible competitor?

WhatisaMeMe

• Forum Regular
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2020, 08:56:49 pm »
What did you guys put for the multiple choice question on enzymes? It was on the first page. Something about Substrate A and B?? Was substrate B an irreversible competitor?
yes i put irreversible competitor as well

Isaac S

• Trailblazer
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2020, 08:58:05 pm »
yes i put irreversible competitor as well
Was that answer C?

WhatisaMeMe

• Forum Regular
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2020, 09:01:26 pm »

Isaac S

• Trailblazer
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2020, 09:03:53 pm »
Yeah sweet. For the multiple choice question, I think 5, where they put sodium hydrogen carbonate with some elodea, was the bubbles meant to be oxygen? And in short answer, did we have to mention secretory granules when explaining exocytosis?

WhatisaMeMe

• Forum Regular
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2020, 09:05:49 pm »
Yeah sweet. For the multiple choice question, I think 5, where they put sodium hydrogen carbonate with some elodea, was the bubbles meant to be oxygen? And in short answer, did we have to mention secretory granules when explaining exocytosis?
yep it was oxygen. ye i just said it fuses with plasma membrane and releases the histamine.
what was on the first page again, was it the table question with mRNA, i am so scared i skipped a page

Isaac S

• Trailblazer
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2020, 09:06:55 pm »
yep it was oxygen. ye i just said it fuses with plasma membrane and releases the histamine.
what was on the first page again, was it the table question with mRNA, i am so scared i skipped a page
The very first page had the image of a cell with the golgi, nucleus etc and you had to use it to describe how exocytosis occurs. It has 'secretory granule' labelled on it but I've never seen that and didn;t use it in my explanation

WhatisaMeMe

• Forum Regular
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2020, 09:08:24 pm »
The very first page had the image of a cell with the golgi, nucleus etc and you had to use it to describe how exocytosis occurs. It has 'secretory granule' labelled on it but I've never seen that and didn;t use it in my explanation
right right i remember. thanks soo much. i know for a fact that i skipped the question that asks u to label the RNA or something. so i lost a mark there, i was so scared i skipped an entire page.

failingenglish

• Adventurer
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2020, 09:12:00 pm »
was it histamine or adrenaline 😃