Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 07:54:16 pm

Author Topic: Legal Studies  (Read 2971 times)

XD12345

• Forum Regular
Legal Studies
« on: November 01, 2020, 08:57:59 pm »
Hi Forum,

I was just wondering, how does the foreign affairs power within s51 of the Australian Constitution protect express and implied rights?

I have been finding indirect answers to this question in the textbook and currently only have fragments of ideas so I am really hoping to get a clear answer before my Legal Studies exam.

Thank you!

JerryMouse2019

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • I love Spider-Man :)
Re: Legal Studies
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2020, 10:16:18 pm »
Hi Forum,

I was just wondering, how does the foreign affairs power within s51 of the Australian Constitution protect express and implied rights?

I have been finding indirect answers to this question in the textbook and currently only have fragments of ideas so I am really hoping to get a clear answer before my Legal Studies exam.

Thank you!

Check this out:

https://www.aph.gov.au/parliamentary_business/committees/senate/legal_and_constitutional_affairs/completed_inquiries/pre1996/treaty/report/c05

Hope it helps :)
QCE Class of 2021: English | General Maths | Business | Economics | Legal Studies | Digital Solutions

“Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy” – Dale Carnegie

XD12345

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 10:54:05 pm »
Thank you for your response,

I’ve looked through the website and everything but I just struggle to connect the external affairs power to protecting, let’s say, the right to free speech.

piperfred

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 10:25:14 am »
Hi Forum,

Thank you!

Hiya!

The foreign affairs power in s51(xxix) gives the Federal government the power to enter into and ratify treaties. This allows the government to legislate protections for human rights, like the rights of Indigenous peoples for example, as s51(xxix) gave the government power to ratify the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples 2007.

Hope this helps!
Piper
QCE Class of 2020: Literature, French, Maths Methods, SOR, Legal Studies, Chemistry

Aims: ATAR 92+ or 98+
UQ - Advanced Humanities or Advanced Humanities/Law

Loves music!
https://open.spotify.com/user/piper_fred?si=BbcxIL3SRESDkDcVFX7l5A