Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 12:40:55 pm

Author Topic: Will I get kicked out of chem ??  (Read 3463 times)  Share 

hearteyes4u

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Will I get kicked out of chem ??
« on: November 22, 2019, 02:33:53 pm »
+1
so this year i did pretty shit in chem 1/2 (we just did our 1/2 exam and i only got 50%) and i really need chem bc its a pre requisite for the course i want but im really scared my school wont let me continue with chem bc my scores are so bad and bc theres a waiting list of people who want to get into chem. my sac scores are all really average, for unit 2 most of my sac scores were in the 60's and there was one sac where i got 36% (just barely a pass, 35 is the passing mark at our sch)

do u guys think i can get into chem 3/4 with these scores??

hearteyes4u

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Will I get kicked out of chem ??
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 08:52:31 pm »
Look, if your gonna do chem 3/4 you will have to lift up your game.
Did you study for chem this year? Do you not understand the content?

Whatever it is, you will need to get on top of it asap,
Also regarding your exam mark, how did other people go? Did you perform poorly compared to your fellow peers?

Your school should allow you to do chem 3/4, if you're concerned they may kick you out of the class than have a discussion with your teacher and raise these concerns and any others you may have regarding chemistry.
i started off pretty well for unit 1, i averaged 70-80 but when we started unit 2 i had started unit 4 for bio 3/4 (im yr 11 so im doing one 3/4 this yr) so i started to do less and less chem hw and revision at home and thats when my marks started dropping. the content also started getting a lot harder like redox and titration (i literally could not get my head around titrations) but regarding the exam a lot of the people ive aksed hv gotten in the 70's or 60's.

but honestly i dont really have a way of revising chem like should i make glossarys or summary notes and like what should i be memorising bc most of chem is calculations but theres always a bunch of explanation questions and questions where u need to draw diagrams

i cri

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
Re: Will I get kicked out of chem ??
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 09:29:32 pm »
+2
so this year i did pretty shit in chem 1/2 (we just did our 1/2 exam and i only got 50%) and i really need chem bc its a pre requisite for the course i want but im really scared my school wont let me continue with chem bc my scores are so bad and bc theres a waiting list of people who want to get into chem. my sac scores are all really average, for unit 2 most of my sac scores were in the 60's and there was one sac where i got 36% (just barely a pass, 35 is the passing mark at our sch)

do u guys think i can get into chem 3/4 with these scores??
I don't think there's a specific score that will let you go through to unit 3/4. I think it's mainly just your teachers reccomendation - if you're teacher thinks you won't be able to do units 3/4 they will urge you against it. Atleast that's how it worked at my school. This might work differently at your school though.
Your best option is to talk to your coordinator and teacher to ask whether your performance would prevent you from continuing. If they don't recommend continuing, you can always explain to them what you've said above - that you were focusing on bio and that chem is a prerequisite. If you convey to them that you're motivated to improve your marks, then I'm fairly confident they will let you do units 3/4 (although I'm not sure how it works at your school).
For some peace of mind, plenty of kids from my school who got scores like yours and lower in 1/2 went through to 3/4.

but honestly i dont really have a way of revising chem like should i make glossarys or summary notes and like what should i be memorising bc most of chem is calculations but theres always a bunch of explanation questions and questions where u need to draw diagrams
There are a fair amount of calculations I chem, but I wouldn't say that it's mostly calculations. There is alot of content you need understand In chem.
In terms of taking notes, I mostly took notes just how I wools for biology or any other science. That is to say that I made notes on class on content my teacher went over, and added to notes from the textbook and other sources (I.e. Atar notes summary notes).
In regards to knowing what to memorise and not, I would recommend looking at the study design for chem found here https://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/curriculum/vce/vce-study-designs/chemistry/Pages/index.aspx
This outlines exactly what you need to know, but some points can be a bit confusing, so feel free to ask for clarification when you come to them. I recommend, if you end up continuing with chem, regularly referring to this document as you are going over content throughout the year to identify what things you acruay need to be learning.
As a little side note, It's important not to approach learning content as just memorising. There is ofcourse some things that you have to memorise, but for the most part, in order to sucseed In any subject, yo want to strive to understand the content, something that will help you apply and truly explain ideas.

If you have any specific questions about any topics or the study design, feel free to ask them here in the future: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=150600.0

Good luck with getting into 3/4 chem and hopefully this helped (feel free to let me know if I want clear about something)
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point