Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:02:43 am

Author Topic: What languages do you learn in 3/4 Software Development?  (Read 3580 times)  Share 

Bugby Bati

What languages do you learn in 3/4 Software Development?
« on: February 03, 2019, 08:22:59 pm »
I'm thinking of doing software development, but I want to know what languages I'll be studying. Thanks in advance :)

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: What languages do you learn in 3/4 Software Development?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 08:59:24 pm »
+1
Depends on the teacher. It has to be one that meets the requirements of the SD course - e.g. one that allows you to program GUIs, one that is object oriented etc.

So unfortunately the answer is.... I can't really say. A lot of schools use Visual Basic (VB) and more are starting to use Python as an alternative. Some use the higher level languages such as C# and C++, kudos to the students that actually get it but I find it is quite unreasonable as an entry language for students. Further discussion re suitability of programming languages in SD can be found here.

Best thing to do would be to ask the current software development teacher at your school as to what language they use, and go from there. SD teachers don't like to deviate away from what they already know - it takes a significant amount of effort to learn a new language. If your SD teacher has been doing it for a while, chances are you'll get them teaching you and the language they prefer/currently use. :)

Cheers
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 09:05:02 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

TheIllusion

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 09:34:28 pm »
Although this topic is a bit old, I will answer anyway.
I am currently studying Software Development with Distance ed. The language I will be studying will be PHP. I really think it depends on which school you go to, as I know some other kids study a different language.
2019: English 3/4, Further Mathematics 3/4, Mathematical Methods 3/4, Revolutions 3/4, Software Development 3/4

2020: ?

Berg_Herg

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 02:54:44 pm »
+4
Depends on the teacher but one things for sure, you learn how to break Adrian Janson's shitty ass textbook!!!! The binder he used sucks major key alert.

uquorexor

• Fresh Poster
  • methods = shambles
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 04:24:24 pm »
+1
Depends on the teacher but one things for sure, you learn how to break Adrian Janson's shitty ass textbook!!!! The binder he used sucks major key alert.

Yeah, my textbook broke in Term 1, Week 4. Also, bad textbook.
hoping to get 90+ atar :)

Zappi

• Forum Regular
  • Official ATARNotes Passerer of Food
  • Respect: +61
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 07:54:52 am »
Our school used Python but we could use whatever we wanted as long as we were consistent. Teacher wasn't sure what GUI library was best so I suggested PyQt5 - Qt Designer makes it a lot easier to design visually and there's a buncha resources for it online. Most of it's for PyQt4 but :-\

Yeah there's literally an odour to the pages haha
Next year's kids are gonna have it so much easier with like two new textbooks coming out for SofDev
2018: English Language | General Maths | Business Management | Japanese SL | Computing
2019: English Language [29] | Further Maths [39] | Business Management [36] | Japanese SL [37] | Software Dev [42] | ATAR: 90.10

JLPT N3 Certified, aiming for N2 in December 2018. Hit me up with any Japanese-related questions!

My website: https://zappi.xyz/