Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:07:30 am

Author Topic: Bachelor of Law/International Studies  (Read 3512 times)  Share 

jaimeb0810

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Bachelor of Law/International Studies
« on: July 14, 2017, 04:56:15 pm »
Hi everyone,
I'm looking at doing a double degree in law and international studies in 2018- and I was wondering what the pros and cons were and what people's experiences were like at doing this course at Monash, Deakin or ACU please!!
Thanks heaps :)

Aqualim

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +17
Re: Bachelor of Law/International Studies
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 09:48:38 pm »
Since you're planning on doing Law and I assume will want to work in that field one day I'd say that you should definitely consider G8 universities such as Uni Melb or Monash. This is because some (actually most) firms are quite elitist when selecting graduates and will generally choose students in G8 universities over non-G8. Not saying it isn't possible to get a good graduate position without a G8 university but it definitely helps.

If you want evidence of this, go on to LinkedIn and search a company and look at the students who got graduate positions there. You'll notice that they either went to Monash or Melbourne, with a small amount from the other universities like RMIT and Deakin. Companies that do this are any Investment Banks, KPMG, Deloitte, EY and PwC. I'm sure even smaller boutique law firms do the same as well.

I've also experienced this first hand when going for job interviews. At the Assessment Centres nearly everyone I'm 'competing' against are from G8 universities.

In terms of content, I haven't done any law or international studies subjects but all universities are required to cover similar, (if not exactly the same), topics so they can comply with requirements for the degree. As someone who works at a university, I wouldn't be surprised if Monash and Deakins content and level of difficult are the same. (I know my exams when I was at La Trobe were harder than at Deakin that's for sure. Even though Deakin is considered to be a 'better' university).

So definitely consider this, as let's be honest, the reason you're at university is to get a job after 3-5 years right? You may as well make the job hunt as easy as possible for yourself.