Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:32:37 am

Author Topic: Plasma Membrane and Study Design  (Read 681 times)  Share 

Adam_๐ŸŽ“๐Ÿงพ

• Trailblazer
  • Adam(⌐■_■)
  • Respect: 0
Plasma Membrane and Study Design
« on: January 21, 2020, 12:53:22 pm »
The key knowledge on the Biology study design under 'Plasma membranes' seems very minimal when compared to everything we did on the plasma membrane in year 11, as well as everything covered in the ATAR Notes Biology course notes. What I'm really asking is: Should I strictly be following and studying everything on the study design, because I don't want to study more than I have to get a good SS (which pains me to say because I love Biology) but compromises must be made. Cheers.
2019 - Environmental Science: 34
2020 - English: 38
2020 - Methods: 40
2020 - Data Analytics: 40
2020 - Polish: 38
2020 - Biology: 39
ATAR: 93.30

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Plasma Membrane and Study Design
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 01:03:44 pm »
+6
The key knowledge on the Biology study design under 'Plasma membranes' seems very minimal when compared to everything we did on the plasma membrane in year 11, as well as everything covered in the ATAR Notes Biology course notes. What I'm really asking is: Should I strictly be following and studying everything on the study design, because I don't want to study more than I have to get a good SS (which pains me to say because I love Biology) but compromises must be made. Cheers.
In comparison to the 1/2 study design it is actually quite similar just worded a bit differently.

The 3/4 study design says
Plasma membranes
•    the fluid mosaic model of the structure of the plasma membrane and the movement of hydrophilic and
hydrophobic substances across it based on their size and polarity
•    the role of different organelles including ribosomes, endoplasmic reticulum, Golgi apparatus and associated
vesicles in the export of a protein product from the cell through exocytosis
•    cellular engulfment of material by endocytosis

The "fluid mosaic model" really means you need to know about the proteins, lipid structures and anything else that makes up a plasma membrane. Know what those structures are, what they do, what they are made of etc
The "movement of hydrophilic/hydrophobic substances across based on their size and polarity" summarises the need to know about simple diffusion, facilitated diffusion, osmosis and active transport which is explicitly expressed for the 1/2 study design.

So just reading the study design is sometimes not that easy if you don't know exactly what VCAA is looking for. Biology is definitely one of the most content-heavy subject and the study design is an extremely compressed summary.

Adam_๐ŸŽ“๐Ÿงพ

• Trailblazer
  • Adam(⌐■_■)
  • Respect: 0
Re: Plasma Membrane and Study Design
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 04:04:34 pm »
In comparison to the 1/2 study design it is actually quite similar just worded a bit differently.

The 3/4 study design says
The "fluid mosaic model" really means you need to know about the proteins, lipid structures and anything else that makes up a plasma membrane. Know what those structures are, what they do, what they are made of etc
The "movement of hydrophilic/hydrophobic substances across based on their size and polarity" summarises the need to know about simple diffusion, facilitated diffusion, osmosis and active transport which is explicitly expressed for the 1/2 study design.

So just reading the study design is sometimes not that easy if you don't know exactly what VCAA is looking for. Biology is definitely one of the most content-heavy subject and the study design is an extremely compressed summary.

Thanks for this, I couldn't have asked for a better response 👍
2019 - Environmental Science: 34
2020 - English: 38
2020 - Methods: 40
2020 - Data Analytics: 40
2020 - Polish: 38
2020 - Biology: 39
ATAR: 93.30